What's new

Flex Nib?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
They're not for everyone and certainly not for all uses. You'll probably not be comfortable with one in the field -- they are more suited to a stable and flat writing surface when you can take your time, not scribbling quick notes on the train.

I suggest getting used to fountain pens for a while, trying a few different nibs (broad to extra-fine, maybe an italic) and then graduating to a vintage gold semi-flex nib.

Affordable modern steel flex nibs, like the ones you find on the Noodler's (ptooey) Ahab, may be a little disappointing, requiring a fair amount of pressure, although a skillful writer can still get some nice effects with them.

I have a number of vintage pens with gold nibs that flex in varying degrees. They range from semi-flex to quite flexible, and allow some nice line variation if I take my time. Usually, though, I'm more interested in what I'm writing than in trying to use elegant handwriting. These nibs are very pleasant to write with, but as tools for a calligrapher, they are somewhat wasted on me. On the other hand, if you do want to cultivate elegant handwriting, learn Spencerian, for example, then a flex nib may be just the ticket.

One problem with looking for vintage flex nibs is being sure how much flex you're getting, at least if you buy online. Some sellers on eBay, for example, may pick up on buzzwords like "wet noodle" and be a little too quick to use them. A particular model of pen may have been sold with a wide variety of nibs, ranging from very flexible to rigid.

Top Bottom