What's new

It Begins.

what I failed to ask:
"Does the steel have ring? Does it have tone? Is there heart there to build upon? Looks are always nice, but the ring, the essence and vibration..." Heh, then the esoterics; Who did it serve, and what did they do together!?

In the end, I'm with C FrankC ^^^
Congratulations.

what I failed to ask:
"Does the steel have ring? Does it have tone? Is there heart there to build upon? Looks are always nice, but the ring, the essence and vibration..." Heh, then the esoterics; Who did it serve, and what did they do together!?

In the end, I'm with C FrankC ^^^
Congratulations.

He rings like church bells on a clear winter day. A common trait of cast steel and forged steel anvils. The resonance is such that I'll likely have to chain the poor thing to dampen it. The rebound is very nice as well, with somewhere around 93-95% as can be seen in the 1" ball bearing test pic below. As to esoterics; this anvil was a family heirloom for 85 years passed father to son, on the 4th generation no son was to be had, so it was passed along to start as a new heirloom with my family.

... As to esoterics; this anvil was a family heirloom for 85 years passed father to son, on the 4th generation no son was to be had, so it was passed along to start as a new heirloom with my family.

Here is a picture from the place your heirloom was manufactured. The picture is newish, from the 1920s. The steel production was started in the 1600s and is still active. It's about one hour from where I live.

proxy.php

He rings like church bells on a clear winter day. A common trait of cast steel and forged steel anvils. The resonance is such that I'll likely have to chain the poor thing to dampen it. The rebound is very nice as well, with somewhere around 93-95% as can be seen in the 1" ball bearing test pic below. As to esoterics; this anvil was a family heirloom for 85 years passed father to son, on the 4th generation no son was to be had, so it was passed along to start as a new heirloom with my family.

A great tool like that makes work a pleasure not a chore !

Let there be fire!:spockflam

I managed to get a used Chileforge Habanero propane forge for a great price. Now I just need some files, hammer, tongs, belt sander, bench vise, and a splash of skill that I don't yet possess.

proxy.php

Also, where on earth did they find that gif of someone burning a Guinnea pig.

Last edited:
Nice forge!

Thanks, I did a test run wth the forge this weekend and found that it gets crazy hot with both burners going. So we pluhged one of the burner holes and used just one of the venturis. It was still plenty hot to get to forging temps. Next weekend I finally pull together the whole shop and start making some items. First up will be a paring knife and hopefully working my way into razors in the next few months.

This is simply outstanding my friend, can't wait to see your whole setup when you get it put together.
Between you and Victor I'm having problems with restraint.

I wish I had the time and space to get into forging my own.

Dynamite anvil!

That baby could flatten Wile Coyote in one go!

proxy.php

I wish I had the time and space to get into forging my own.
Can't help with the time, but out here there is a hackerspace called tinkermill where they have things like forges and anvils for members to use. You may be able to find such a place in Boston.

Cool! What grinder did you get?

A used Pheer 427, it was cheap enough second hand that I would have had a hard time piecing a home made one for the same price. It has a 1.5hp baldor motor with a Leeson digital VFD. The only downside is that it comes with a flat platen so I'll need to make or purchase an 8" rubber wheel. What paint did you use on the frame of your grinder?

Just spent 5 hours forging with my cousin. We made a handful of coat hooks that my wife requested for the entry way as well as a fire poker. Last but not least we started making a chefs knife. I know that isn't strictly speaking a straight razor, but that will be up on the docket as soon as my belt grinder arrives.

Some pics

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Making the chefs knife is very similar to making straight razors. Though from talking with some smiths it sounds like the tolerances are much tighter than knives.

Top Bottom