What's new

WW2 Wehrmacht replacement shave brush

Gentlemen,
I have acquired a Wehrmacht issue aluminum shaving tube that held the brush and another for a shave stick. Shave tube dimensions are 15/16"x2.75", (24x70mm). Does anyone know what was issued and what would be today's replacement?
Outside diameter of the omega bambino is roughly 1 1/8", 29mm. Given the number that were potentially required and Germany's relationship with Spain in that time period could they have been horse hair?

Shave stick not as big an issue for replacement as current manufacturers still produce. Curious though what stick brands may have been issued in that period. Palmolive? Nivea?

I am neither trying to elevate nor indorse nazi philosophy just curious what the combative nations issued their troops in WWII. The U.S. military issued similar Gillette kits for both WWI/II and Korea. I enjoy keeping history alive.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sorry I can't help. Just wanted to wish you good luck with your search. I enjoy stuff like this. Some interesting historical detective work.

I have a small (about 12 pieces, not including photographs) Kriegsmarine collection, so I hear you. I have wondered about shaving gear from those days as well (and have had a couple of Gillette razors from WWI and WWII).

While I dont know the answer, you may find it from the guys at places like wehrmacht-awards.com

Horse hair seems unlikely to me, but that may be a USA prejudice. Horse hair fell out of favor after the anthrax scares, pre-WWII, and did not emerge again until recently. But I suppose it could have been used, especially in wartime. In the USA both badger and boar have always been imported, so we saw experiments with nylon and other materials. Traditionally Germany was a center of the boar bristle market, so they may not have had that problem.

From time to time I have seen auctions of shave sticks claiming to be Wehrmacht issue. They looked very generic, with no identifiable brand. Palmolive was originally a USA brand, even though we may associate current Palmolive sticks with Germany.

Top Bottom