What's new

Toolbox

Ok guys so I landed a new job working on outdoor power equipment. I have most of the necessary tools but not a box big enough for all of them. So my question to all of you is what is the best toolbox for my money. I'm looking at a 40 couple inch kobalt top and bottom, a 40 couple inch harbor freight top and bottom, or a 40 couple inch husky. I say top and bottom because from kobalt and harbor freight they come separate whereas the husky comes complete. So what do y'all think? Any other suggestions? I wanna stay under a grand.

I would recommend the Husky ... I have a few knives from them that I use at work and they are 7 years old and still going strong. It is well designed, ergonomic and easy to open and close. I'm sure they put the same engineering into all their products.

Kobalt, on the other hand, looks great when you're looking at it in the store. They seem to be well made, but they're not. I've had a few Kobalt products that broke on me within a month of use, and I am not hard on my tools at all. After the third time this happened and I had to return it for a refund, I swore off Kobalt and I advise everyone not to buy them. Especially if you're going to depend on it for your job.

I've never bought anything from Harbor Freight, but I used to window-shop in their store and read their catalogs a lot. I hear nothing but good things about this company from those that do own HF tools.

This thread on GarageJournal has some pretty detailed comparison photos, which might be really helpful.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153445

I’ve had a few of the Harbor Freight 44” toolboxes for a while now. I’m just a DIY homeowner, not a professional, but I do all of the repairs and maintenance on our house and family cars, so the boxes certainly do get a workout. So far my boxes have been exceptional for the money.

I've read good things about the Harbor Freight tool boxes on other sites. They sell some things that are low quality, but these tool boxes seem to be a good value for the money.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have no idea, but I can supply the background music for considering your options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work industrial mechanics. I recently got the husky 52 inch canopy top. Lots of box, well made, smooth bearing slides, heavier steel than the craftsman garbage I replaced with it. I like the canopy top for my chargers and stereo. Also the price tag of only 600 was a lot better than the other ones I looked at.

I have no idea, but I can supply the background music for considering your options.

Is that Aaron Tippin? I like the song, never heard it though. I've always been a fan of the older country like that so thanks for the decision music.
I work industrial mechanics. I recently got the husky 52 inch canopy top. Lots of box, well made, smooth bearing slides, heavier steel than the craftsman garbage I replaced with it. I like the canopy top for my chargers and stereo. Also the price tag of only 600 was a lot better than the other ones I looked at.
I'm really leaning toward that exact box. I really like the canopy top also and was hoping someone here could attest to the quality. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread on GarageJournal has some pretty detailed comparison photos, which might be really helpful.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153445

I’ve had a few of the Harbor Freight 44” toolboxes for a while now. I’m just a DIY homeowner, not a professional, but I do all of the repairs and maintenance on our house and family cars, so the boxes certainly do get a workout. So far my boxes have been exceptional for the money.
That is a good read thanks for sharing.

I'm really leaning toward that exact box. I really like the canopy top also and was hoping someone here could attest to the quality. Thanks.

The only two issues I have with it, are that the punchout doesn't come with any sort of edging and the tabs left are at the top and bottom. A little quick file work, or in my case getting some edging from the guys that do the electrical work fixed that right up. The other issue was there is no handle for the canopy top. It has cylinders to assist opening and hold it open, but no way to help get it started. Since I do mostly tubing now, that was a rather quick fix also.

I have had this one for a little over a month, and it seems like it is going to last a good while. The extra casters are nice since mine gets moved around a lot, and they seem durable and made for it, instead of some cheap chinsy thing they just threw in. The drawer slides are smooth and adequate for heavy tools, and the retention is good too. It holds the drawers closed while moving, but is not so bad it makes them hard to open. (Had that problem on a different manufacturer.)

What is [emoji14] unk?
Looks like the way your browser is reading the emoji. It shows on my screen as a headbanger in motion, not a smiley followed by "unk:"

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Looks like the way your browser is reading the emoji. It shows on my screen as a headbanger in motion, not a smiley followed by "unk:"

Yeah.

:punk:

(FWIW, the code you type in for that Smilie is ... with underscores added in between each letter to make it not turn into a Smilie when I post this ... is ":_p_u_n_k_:" ... so maybe his browser just saw the ":p" and didn't connect the rest of the dots.)

Don't know if this helps or not, but I snapped a few pics last night at work of one actually in use.
$IMG_20150302_223821_754.jpg
Not the heaviest steel compared to a snapon or mac, but decent.
$IMG_20150302_223924_003.jpg
Nice double wall sides. makes it pretty stable when moving it around.

$IMG_20150302_224403_080.jpg
Lots of room in the top, there's 2 chargers, 4 batteries, streo, metal clipboard and some other junk in there with some room left over.

$IMG_20150302_224531_445.jpg
The big drawer holds up to weight just fine. Big two hole pins, 18 and 24 inch crescent wrenches, 36 inch pry bar, and some other junk.

$IMG_20150302_224721_472.jpg
This is the handle I made for it.

Last edited:
$IMG_20150302_224855_253.jpg
The tab on the end of the slides is where the locking bar engages. It comes down in front of them to lock the drawers. Much better than the cheap little clip thing that the craftsman box had on the back of the drawer.

$IMG_20150302_230016_487.jpg
I added a piece of tubing in a couple brackets for cords and air hoses. the side is strong enough I can actually pull it around by this.

$IMG_20150302_230000_623.jpg
Overall not a bad looking box. Not the best box on the market, but I would say it is a very good box. Considering the price difference it is an excellent value.

Looks like it's working well for you. Thanks for the pics that's great. And that is a slick looking handle.

Thanks. The tubing I use at work is a 1/2" O.D. and .065" I.D. It will just take 3/8" threads on the inside. A little loose, but secure enough for all the use that it sees. I bent it, tapped it and ran cap screws in from the inside of the lid. Almost looks like it was meant for it.

If I go with that box I will probably steel your idea 😃. Instead of tapping the tubing though I will just weld a nut inside.

That would work. Our tubing is almost equivalent to pipe because of the heavy wall. Most tubing is much thinner and the nut idea would probably suit it better. It should still be plenty strong enough. All you need it for is something to grip to get the cylinders started and then they pretty much do the rest.

I did use fender washers on the inside after I drilled the holes. I only did it because it protrudes and there is a chance that it could get caught or hit. Not everyone keeps theirs in such a busy place, but something to consider.

P.S. I re-cut mine after I bent it. The benders leave more length, so i did it to reduce how far it protruded.

Last edited:
Top Bottom