What's new

Kitchen Knife Sharpening

I have seven stones. I use 3... I have a LLC and am insured for theft/natural disaster if something happens to customers knives if in my possession.

I still have room for improvement!

Spyderco Sharpmaker here as well. The trick is in learning how to sharpen a knife: keep a constant angle, and sharpen one side until a burr forms, then switch sides to clean it off.

Spyderco Sharpmaker here as well. The trick is in learning how to sharpen a knife: keep a constant angle, and sharpen one side until a burr forms, then switch sides to clean it off.

The burr is something I didn't fully appreciate until I'd tried the Lansky system. I think after using this I'd be much better at using whetstones

I use a Chef's Choice two stage Diamond Hone to get them sharp, I follow that with a very fine ceramic sharpening wand to get rid of the burr and refine the edge. I used to use stones but it was labor intensive and I get just a good an edge with the Chef's Choice.

I use this for my kitchen knives as it removes very little metal and finish the edge with a leather strop. Can shave with the edges or chop onions, its your call. LOL

Last edited:
I had the Lansky for awhile but I had the same issue with longer knives. I've been using an Edge Pro Apex with Naniwa water stones for the last few years and am pretty happy with the laser edge I can get.

I also use a Ceramic "Steel" for touch ups.

For day-to-day maintenance, I swear by the Accusharp (for western edges). I got turned on to it after Cooks Illustrated began singing its praises.

http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ

View attachment 556114
I love the Equipment Corner with Adam Reid. In fact, its the only part of the show that I really watch. As soon as his segment is over, I change the channel.

If he says its a good tool, that's enough recommendation for me. I want one.

I currently have two Chef's knives (A Victorinox and a Japanese one purchased through a B&B group buy a while back).

I have never sharpened knives in my life (I hang my head in shame!) and wanting to know whether the Apex kits are something that a beginner like myself should invest in? Or is there something more suitable to beginners?

I currently have two Chef's knives (A Victorinox and a Japanese one purchased through a B&B group buy a while back).

I have never sharpened knives in my life (I hang my head in shame!) and wanting to know whether the Apex kits are something that a beginner like myself should invest in? Or is there something more suitable to beginners?
I didn't find the Edge Pro Apex all that difficult to pick up. The included instructional videos (which I think are all on YouTube) pretty much spell it out for you.

You'll still need to learn the basics of sharpening, but this system should help remove a few variables while you do it. I can quite honestly say that I'd recommend it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think it depends a bit on where you are going with cooking and knives. For many folk the sharpener on the back of the electric can opener will be all they ever need. Many restaurants use knife services who supply decent serviceable blades on a sharpening rotation that uses up the knives fairly quickly.

Then there are the guys who cook a lot, or cook some, or cook not too much but really enjoy the sharpness of a knife.

There are a lot of ways to go from there.

Top Bottom