What's new

My First? Lather Catcher

Just won this auction off eBay, its a GEM Lather Catcher. I have always wanted a lather catcher. I am pretty sure it's pre-1912. And the end of the handle is used to trim. Thats all I know about this razor.

I would like to know if I can use a regular SE blade with it, and how old is it Aprox.

Here are some pictures
$$_57 (1).jpg$$_57 (2).jpg$$_57.jpg
Here is a link to the completed auction.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-The...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would like to know if I can use a regular SE blade with it, and how old is it Aprox.

Nice SE,

There are no blade stops on this razor, and therefore you will not be able to use regular SE blades in it unless you mod the heck out of it. You can guess the age--the razor says, "Est. Dec. 27 98." It is safe to say it is over 100 years old.

An oldie for sure...pre 1906 most likely, uses the GEM hollow ground blades that need to be honed/stropped.
Occasionally they can be found, but need to be in good un-corroded condition, then they can be brought back to life.
With the handle that you have, (notice the one on the right), the blade slides in and when the handle is removed from the razor head, can be held to strop the blade.

Very cool. I love those old Gems. They are really early 20th century industrial art. Congrats on the score.

Top Bottom