What's new

Food Processor - What Would You Buy?

Chaps, the title of the thread says it best. My wife and I currently have a Kitchenaid model we bought years ago. Model is RRKFP350 WH. All I can tell you is the WH means white. The hopper will hold about 1 litre of material but you would never want to try to process that much in it. I have found that 1-1/2 to a VERY maximum 3 cups of food is about it. It works much better with smaller amounts. Another processor would be an addendum to what we have currently. Just to handle bigger loads.

Now we don't necessarily need a monstrous 12-14 cup model but certainly something bigger than we have now. The main thing is decent quality with easy to use controls. The mind goes immediately to Cuisinart and truth told, those large flat run and pulse buttons are very easy to use and foolproof. However, I don't want to overlook something else out of brand envy. Sizes? And by that I mean both capacity and storage space! Some of these processors you see at Kohl's and similar take up a HUGE amount of space. I really don't like the idea of a tonne of accessories either. Just the typical slicing and chopping blades and easy to clean, durable hopper. Fire away.

What would you typically be using it for? Do you have any special requirements other than what you've mentioned? Do you have a budget in mind?

Hi Jessica. Thank you for the response. The short answer to all of your questions is; I don't really know. We do use the current one for cutting butter into flour for scones and crusts and certainly other small chopping jobs. I think we would actually use the larger model more than we currently use the smaller one. I really like the idea that some of the larger models can chop and grind meats in some fashion. These days we are buying chuck roasts and similar on sale cheaper than mince(hamburger). It would not be used heavily for the purpose but as an option. My wife is also trying to make more vegetable based dishes to stretch the food budget. And being able to shred cheese properly would be great too. I hope that is a bit clearer. BTW, looking at various shootout type articles on the webs it seems most recommend a larger 11-14 cup model.

Based on the reviews at America's Test Kitchen, I bought a 14 cup Cuisinart. They had previously rated the Kitchen Aid as the best, but KA changed the design and ATK didn't like it as much.

Anyway, I bought it and it works great. It's a real powerhouse, is solidly built, simple to assemble, use and clean. I've blended spices, chopped all sorts of things, made dough -- all the normal stuff and it's a champ.

Cuisinart DFP-14BCN 14-Cup Food Processor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000645TW

proxy.php

It's not cheap -- $180 -- but considering I had my previous (non Cuisinart) for over 15 years, and expect this one to last at least as long, I don't mind spending a little more.

Based on the reviews at America's Test Kitchen, I bought a 14 cup Cuisinart. They had previously rated the Kitchen Aid as the best, but KA changed the design and ATK didn't like it as much.

I trust ATK. They often partner with Consumer Reports on cookware. Regarding size, you can always process less in a bigger machine, but not vice versa.

I have 14C Cuisinart. Its nice for home stuff. At work I will stick with the RobotCoupes.

Until I started industrial and commercial maintenance I had never heard of a Robot Coupe. One day I received a work order for one of these. Making noise(s) it was not supposed to or similar. Anyroad, I went to the kitchen and found this aluminium monster sitting on the counter. It was not that the base was so huge but the hopper and cutting heads were. It weighed a tonne and I was thinking to myself this must be Paul Bunyan's salad shooter. It had a 2 or 3hp 3 phase motor in it with a regular industrial contact. Holy smoke. This thing was heavy and POWERFUL. I think it was some sort of combo model since it had rotary switch on it as well which either ran two speeds or reversed it. I believe it was a reversing switch if memory serves. I looked into buying one since they make them in single phase which would work on household mains but they are nearly $2000 per copy. Needless to say I abandoned that idea. I don't know if they make a truly residential version. Below is an image I yanked from a web site for size perspective.

proxy.php

Last edited:
ROBOT COUPE the only one I have had hold up

Oh and you can say "robo cooo " which is correct but if you work in a professional kitchen you just gotta say "robot coop" lol

Last edited:
I looked Robot Coupe up having never heard of it. The one I really want is $1,500 - yikes. I will wait til my 18 year old Cuisinart croaks - which it shows no sign of doing.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
In our house, the Mrs. and I use our[FONT=&amp] Cuisinart Pro Classic 7-Cup Food Processor (in white color), w/ the various attachments (dough hook, slicing dics, ect...[/FONT]), and we've had no issues...tough little processor! :thumbsup:

proxy.php

attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]“A food processor…is a real treasure. No, that's not an overstatement”. Yotam Ottolenghi [/FONT]

I love the Robot Coupe but it is very expensive. It might be a little overkill.

Hubert Keller is using the Cuisinart 14 cup Food Processor, FP-14 in his cooking show. I like the features.

Top Bottom