What's new

New wet shaver and questions

Just a couple of tips (just my opinions)
If using a Badger brush only soak 20 seconds or less.
Try face rather than bowl lathering. It will allow you to really feel when you have a slick properly hydrated lather.

Just a couple of tips (just my opinions)
If using a Badger brush only soak 20 seconds or less.
Try face rather than bowl lathering. It will allow you to really feel when you have a slick properly hydrated lather.

I'm new so i have to ask...why soak the badger brush ( i have black badger from whipped dog) for 20 sec or less?

Feeling the slickness of the lather when face lathering makes sense.

Badger brushes require very little soaking. And soak up water quickly.
You soak Boar brushes longer to help soften them, and let them absorb enough water.
Even with a 20 second soak with a Badger brush. I still shake water out before loading.
Load soaps on the dryer side. Add water sparingly until you reach the desired lather.

Ok, so the glycerin pre-shave is out...for now anyways. I had my best shave today. Not bbs, but i don't expect to get bbs...definitely better than any cartridge shave I've ever had. I may try the pre-shave soap again after i get my technique where it needs to be. Oh, and I can't say enough about catie's bubbles Le Piment De La Vie soap. Great scent and smooth shaving soap.

Welcome to B&B.

DE shaving is different from cartridge shaving in that you must be sure you are not putting any pressure on the blade. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. Take a look at the wiki. Also this post may help you. Finally, for blade angle, look here.

What you do after you shave can make a big difference in how fast your skin heals. First I take a wash cloth dipped in cold water and apply it to my face. Next I apply a splash of Thayers Rose Petal or Lavender WH. Thayers also makes an unscented WH. All are alcohol free and do not sting when going on but provide soothing relief. However, any WH will work. I then use a skin moisturizer or ASB to provide relief. There are a number of good products out there such as Nivea, Neutrogena, T&H, GFT, and others. Another good one that is not meant only for shaving but does an excellent job is CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion. Also, at night I put on a moisturizer – usually CeraVe – and that hastens the healing process and prepares my face for the next day’s shave.

Super great advice as always. ..the cold water after is key for less irritation for me.

Ok, so the glycerin pre-shave is out...for now anyways. I had my best shave today. Not bbs, but i don't expect to get bbs...definitely better than any cartridge shave I've ever had. I may try the pre-shave soap again after i get my technique where it needs to be. Oh, and I can't say enough about catie's bubbles Le Piment De La Vie soap. Great scent and smooth shaving soap.

Keep us updated.

From what you have said it sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

The real question is: Are you getting a close comfortable shave that you are satisfied with?

I am currently getting a shave i am happy with most of the time. Cheeks are almost bbs. My neck line under my chin is still decent but no where near bbs, but i'm okay with that. I'm using my slim now and it seems to shave better than the SS (And the SS was shaving very good too!). Almost no burn at all (very very slight sting with alum block under my chin on neck line). Each day feels better and better!

I don't know those razors, maybe their too aggressive?
maybe you're blade angle needs to be subtler, or less pressure on the blade?
maybe your face just hasn't gotten used to the changes yet.

Welcome to B&B.

DE shaving is different from cartridge shaving in that you must be sure you are not putting any pressure on the blade. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. Take a look at the wiki. Also this post may help you. Finally, for blade angle, look here.

What you do after you shave can make a big difference in how fast your skin heals. First I take a wash cloth dipped in cold water and apply it to my face. Next I apply a splash of Thayers Rose Petal or Lavender WH. Thayers also makes an unscented WH. All are alcohol free and do not sting when going on but provide soothing relief. However, any WH will work. I then use a skin moisturizer or ASB to provide relief. There are a number of good products out there such as Nivea, Neutrogena, T&H, GFT, and others. Another good one that is not meant only for shaving but does an excellent job is CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion. Also, at night I put on a moisturizer – usually CeraVe – and that hastens the healing process and prepares my face for the next day’s shave.

Super great advice. ..I recommend the cold water after treatment too, it promotes fast healing.

Super great advice. ..I recommend the cold water after treatment too, it promotes fast healing.

Agreed! I have been doing cool rinse after last pass, then use a really wet (cold water) alum block...wait a min, then cold rinse, pat dry, nivea balm. This is giving me great results.

Top Bottom