What's new

Must.stop.buying.razors.

No sooner do I get my Jones Mfg Co razor honed up really shave ready for the first time after having so many issues with it that I was looking for razors on the bay...I really need to stop.

I wanted a square point so I found a wester bros in pretty good shape and pretty cheap IMO. Then I had been looking at a couple of Clauss razors since they were made in Fremont, Ohio about 25miles down the road from me. I read a bit about the company and thought it would be a cool choice for an American blade with a local connection. The price was right for it being a bit larger of a blade so I couldn't resist. I need to do a little clean up and get them honed up. I keep justifying it because none of my razors cost a whole lot individually, so I just keep collecting...when what I should really do is buy a custom GD off of Seraphim...maybe next time...

Having myself recently bought a custom Gold Dollar from Seraphim, I can recommend it! I've found it easier to refrain from purchasing more razors since I got it, although I can't promise it'll cure acquisition disorders for everyone...

You can always try the SWPPS Aversion therapy.....(SWPPS=Show Wife Pay Pal Statement), but this will only slow you down.

Pain? Stop?
What in the world are you guys talking about?
Pain = not buying a razor
Stop = pain

to cure the pain buy a razor.
Simple! Elementary my dear Watson!

Last edited:
I sort of manage to keep myself in check by once I have a couple that aren't honed, I can't buy any more until I put in the effort to
hone them and shave with them..

However my excuse now is that I need to pick one to keep in the office for overnighters... and I need one to keep in the remote office so I can still use a str8 with carryon.. Well and then there's Filis.. and then there's Wades....

An then Mango posts something else....

I keep buying razor cases. Then I use the excuse I have to fill them! First case held 12, second 48, then another 48. Have to justify the case. Keep on buying cases, I always say.

I keep buying razor cases. Then I use the excuse I have to fill them! First case held 12, second 48, then another 48. Have to justify the case. Keep on buying cases, I always say.

Yeah. Been there. Till the day comes when you find you need an 8 drawer case that's 3 ft tall, 4 ft wide and 2 1/2 ft deep to hold your stuff. And you out grow that. Then we can talk.

Razors? Like cars... My brother is fond of reminding me I owned more cars between 18 and 25 than he will in his lifetime. I have never told him about the razors. :blushing:

I'm done buying razors. Definitely. I've got just the razors I want and need for the rest of my life. Period. OK that's my intention and I'm going to try to stick to it.

First I found out what kind of blade I preferred (thumb notch). Then the blade size (6/8) and finally I made a list with the razors (new and vintage) that I wanted. Out of that list there only one left to get (Puma 6/8 thumb notch) but I decided not to get it since I find a NOS one to be far too expensive.

I have my MK32 and some razors that reminds of it in looks and performance. I need no more razors!

Now if you excuse me I'm back to looking at Wiborg brushes. Which one might have most back bone?[emoji39]
Kind regards
Polarbeard

I cleaned up both razors a bit with some #0000 steel wool and mother's polish and got the wester bros honed up. The clauss is actually a cleaner blade but the edge is all pitted so I'm going to have to use some 400 grit W/D to get it cleaned up enough to hone it.

The wester bros shaved great this morning. I don't know if my honing is getting better or if it's the fact that I used fresh films on this one but it may be my best edge yet. I'll have to post a couple pics when I get the chance.

I have the exact Wester Bro. razor ( and the Clauss somewhere) and both are fine shavers.

Did you redo the bluing on the Wester? In the first photo there is no bluing on the blade and a scratch at the word Steel. But in the second pic the bluing in now on the blade ( should stop at the shoulder) and the scratch is gone.

No I didn't redo the bluing. It must be a reflection and shadow in those photos. It has some mild pitting spots on the blade but otherwise it looks pretty clean. The clauss cleaned up REALLY well. Its blade is very clean, it's just the edge that seems to have an issue. I've also not seen a razor with the heel honed out so much. I'll have to measure it but I think it's a full 1/8" less at the heel.

This is my dichotomy:
1. I have more than enough razors for 10 men let alone 1. I am not buying anymore.:mad3:
2. Oooh, that is a really fabulous razor. I'll just buy that one and then that's it.:w00t:

Give it up guys. It's bigger than all of us.:laugh:

Cheers, George

Top Bottom