What's new

Looking for Allen Edmonds Style Recommendation

Ok, here are the pictures as requested. I'm quite happy with how they look, and so far they are reasonably comfortable despite not being broken in yet. The only issue I have is that they squeak so much! Every time I wiggle my feet the leather squeaks, and it is especially annoying while walking. What can I do about this?

$20150324_001721021_iOS.jpg$20150324_001624857_iOS.jpg

Did you condition and polish them? That should stop the squeeking. The problem is likely the tongue. I've had some squeeking from cheaper socks and new shoes also, but that goes away as the shoe breaks in.

They kinda look a bit narrow, and again that bowing problem may manifest as they break in, so watch out.

My Franciscans and Bellevues both squeak. My Park and Fifth Avenues do not. I think it is the tongue construction style. It is lessening over time.

I will try polishing them and see what that does. I think the width on them is fine. They are comfortable. The main reason I went with the discontinued Kenilworth over the current Carlyle was due to the width. They are similar styles, but the Kenilworth is built on the 65 last, and the Carlyle is built on the narrower 108 last. I had to go down half a size and up to a wider size on the Carlyle.

I think the main source of squeaking is coming from my sock rubbing against the inside of the heel. They are probably cheap socks. What kinds of socks do you recommend?

Man I envy you. I have an A width and a high instep that means I can't wear a balmoral and some slip-ons. So the shoe line planners make the choice for me. I think their are less choices today for the hard to fit, because some shoeconsumers go to canvas shoes where a bad fit is more forgiving.

I will try polishing them and see what that does. I think the width on them is fine. They are comfortable. The main reason I went with the discontinued Kenilworth over the current Carlyle was due to the width. They are similar styles, but the Kenilworth is built on the 65 last, and the Carlyle is built on the narrower 108 last. I had to go down half a size and up to a wider size on the Carlyle.

The reason I said they looked a bit narrow was the second picture, it seems like your right foot is pushing the sides out a bit. It might just be a creasing/photo angle issue. The 65 last is still pretty narrow though. I think the 108 only really differs in that the toe is more tapered. It sounds like you tried these on in-store though so if it fits, good. I will say that the Kenilworth and Carlyle are technically not similar styles. The only similarity is that they're plain toe. The Kenilworth's are a blucher and the Carlyle a balmoral. I wouldn't wear the Kenilworth's with a suit, for example.

I think the main source of squeaking is coming from my sock rubbing against the inside of the heel. They are probably cheap socks. What kinds of socks do you recommend?

If it's sock-rubbing that will probably go away as the shoe breaks in. For what it's worth, when I wear cheaper socks with synthetic fibers (e.g. nylon, rayon, etc.) I have had more squeaking in new shoes. Wool and cotton much less so.

I thought I would let you guys know, polishing the shoes, and wearing good wool socks, greatly reduced the squeaking I was experiencing. Thanks for the tips!

Top Bottom