What's new

I want to hear about your favorite Fougère soap

My favorite fougere's in performance and scent are:

Martin de Candre Fougere
Saponificio Varesino Aromatic Fern

I've just tried QCS Fougere. Top notch soap, not my type of scent. I get a powdery, soapy scent. More earthy than fresh and green. I won't be maintaining this one.

I've just tried QCS Fougere. Top notch soap, not my type of scent. I get a powdery, soapy scent. More earthy than fresh and green. I won't be maintaining this one.
I also have the QCS Fougere, and to me it smells like Matthew said it would - Brut. I quite enjoy it!

Stone Cottage Soapworks makes an excellent fougère cream soap that has a more traditional Fern scent of the Penhaligon's English Fern variety.

Would you say this cream soap is the closest available to the Penhaligon's English Fern variety? My tallow first English Fern soap is almost out and I am looking for something to replace it. I really like the scent of the Penhaligon's English Fern and want something similar.

I've used several different fougère class soaps: Pen's EF, Creed GIT, Acca Kappa White Moss, MdC Fougère and LASS Topanga Fougère. The last two fall into a wild, herbal scent class. It's very good, but not of the same variety as the refined, almost musky scent of Pen's English Fern. I find Stone Cottage's take to be in the same class as EF, but different. I like it a lot, and at its price, I think it's worth a tub to find out.

The only fougère type scent I currently own is Catie's Bubbles Quatre Cent Vingt, which is a cannabis flower fougère. Really great scent and great performance as well.

MdC - Fougère
Saponificio Varesino - Aromatic Fern
Tcheon Fung Sing - Anniversary Felce Italica

These three soaps are different in scent but are all very pleasant.
The performances are good as well.

I just bought one from their web site. According to their system there are 4 or 5 left, depending upon on whether the site was including my order or not.

Cold River Soap Works - [/COLOR]Fougère Moderne (sold out:sneaky2:, but will it ever be back?)

Thanks Brutus. Very nice post.

For most of my wet shaving career, I've avoided the strong definitive fragrance soaps. Partly because I don't want to chance a (mild) skin reaction and partly because I just cared about performance. I've changed a little on this because my skin reactions seem to be to things other than fragrance oils and I just enjoy the fragrance while shaving even if it's all gone 30 minutes after shaving.

That said, I've only tried one fougere - MdC bath soap and the smell was heavenly. So now I'm getting a few others and I appreciate your list and the comments here.

I've only tried 1 on your list, B&M Fougère Aromatique is nice; I have the vegan version and I just noticed it has reappeared.

The three I have are:
Saponificio Varesino - Aromatic Fern
MDC
PAA Deja Fougere

The one I have enjoyed the most all around is the Saponificio Varesino. Love the scent, love the shave performance, love the post shave. For me the MDC and PAA (soap and AS) irritated my face a bit (slight burn). Going to give each of these a few more tries to see if it was a one time thing as they are recent acquisitions. The MDC was my first go with MDC and I was a little let down by this soap after reading all the MDC hype. Scent is ok, performance during shave was ok, I have better soaps that are much cheaper less hyped. The post shave left my face feeling the most dried out of any soap I have. Like I said, going to try each that I had issues with several more times as it could have been my usage of them. Although I think the burn of both may indicate an allergy to one of the fougere scent oils.

Stone Cottage Soapworks makes an excellent fougère cream soap that has a more traditional Fern scent of the Penhaligon's English Fern variety.

I will have to +1 on Stone Cottage Soapworks take on Fougère - a beautiful, classy scent with great slickness and cushion.

RAnger33, does the CRSW smell better than LASS Topanga Fougere? is that even possible?

Or do you prefer it for some other reason than the scent?

There are some fougeres which their name doesn't say fougere.One is osma,a somehow fougere.
I perasonally like topanga fougere but sir irisch moos is a much better fougere in my opinion.I wonder if there is a fresh green mossy powdery and somehow sweet fougere...

Last edited:
Top Bottom