What's new

Frameback . Why ?

Hi gents,

why would one shave with a frameback ? I'm not in a hurry to try new razors....just curious to understand how does this blade shave.....

tks

They are often made from a thin piece of high quality steel that othereise may not have been available to craft a full razor blade from (speculation on my part), with the frameback simply as a holder.

I highly recommend the Japanese framebacks.

Sounds like you're fishing for your next purchase???

I recently restored a Wade & Butcher frameback and I can tell you that it gives a very comfortable, smooth shave.
They are great razors for those of us that like something a little different.

Pete <:-}

They are often made from a thin piece of high quality steel that othereise may not have been available to craft a full razor blade from (speculation on my part), with the frameback simply as a holder.

I highly recommend the Japanese framebacks.

Sounds like you're fishing for your next purchase???
Agreed entirely except I'd recommend going French or Swiss.
The Thiers Issard framebacks are good. The Leresche are excellent. The lecoultre (which are Swiss not French) are great and the Fontenille are Heavenly.

I had a Swedish 6/8 thumb notch Jernbolaget frameback. It was very nimble and took a real sharp smooth edge. Kinda dainty imo, but provided an excellent shave. I sold it, didn't love it, kinda ugly really. The Japanese NOS Towa 666 Frameback is a real looker imo. If it wasn't for the mark of the beast I would throw down some cash[emoji51]

Last edited:
Well...why no one tells me this is simply junk....?

Why did I post this thread ?

@ Craig: I've just purchased 7 Spanish straights (all 14) and more will come....

Why did I join this forum ?

I have seen a Le Grelot somewhere....will check if it is still available

Why, just why?

Agreed entirely except I'd recommend going French or Swiss.
The Thiers Issard framebacks are good. The Leresche are excellent. The lecoultre (which are Swiss not French) are great and the Fontenille are Heavenly.

Yeah, sorry to break it to you, Mango....

You're going to have to get one of each region!

To me - most Framebacks shave more like a heavy grind - the blade does not flex at all. Thing is - with the absence of the weight of a wedge or whatever, you have the sensation that you are wielding a more hollow grind - yet the feedback and feel is different.
Some FB's are very heavy - others less so. Swede and Japanese FBs are delightful - I've not enjoyed many Sheffield FBs that much. Dunno why.
The FBs with the removable blades are fun, but a pita to hone correctly. They're French or Swiss I think?

Last edited:
They are different but in a good way. I have 8 ( French Swedish etc) or so and have used at least twice that many and I enjoyed them all. It's another design not to be discounted. They're fun. But aren't they all? Add some spice and variety. Besides the fact they're neat looking.

They are different but in a good way. I have 8 ( French Swedish etc) or so and have used at least twice that many and I enjoyed them all. It's another design not to be discounted. They're fun. But aren't they all? Add some spice and variety. Besides the fact they're neat looking.

Are you sure it's only eight, seems a bit low? [emoji6]

To me - most Framebacks shave more like a heavy grind - the blade does not flex at all. Thing is - with the absence of the weight of a wedge or whatever, you have the sensation that you are wielding a more hollow grind - yet the feedback and feel is different.
Some FB's are very heavy - others less so. Swede and Japanese FBs are delightful - I've not enjoyed many Sheffield FBs that much. Dunno why.
The FBs with the removable blades are fun, but a pita to hone correctly. They're French or Swiss I think?

Agree. A frameback is basically a wedge.

Are you sure it's only eight, seems a bit low? [emoji6]
No, I'm there.
Some do feel a bit "wedgy" and others feel like a full holllow. I've come across some that are actually hollow ground instead of a flat piece of metal. But are true framebacks. Pretty wild what these guys designed. Give them a go . You might just be surprised. That one I just did a cheap French razor rocked me back on my heels. It's a go to razor.

Top Bottom