What's new

Do you prefer aromatics or non-aromatics?

The aromatic/non-aromatic terminology has always been troublesome for me. Coming from a cooking background, 'aromatic' has always been a positive term for me, recalling olfactory memory of sweating garlic in a pan of butter. The smell foretelling a great taste. Often 'aromatic' tobaccos tend to fall short in that realm. Unfortunately the tobaccos used for flavoring tend to be kind of blank slate tobaccos, not offering much taste of their own. And doubly unfortunately, the toppings used tend to not have much flavor either. So you end up with a 'sucking hot air' kind of experience.

That said there are good aromatics that balance tobacco taste with pleasant toppings. I've enjoyed my fair share of Boswell Blends and Lane 1Q is not too bad for an easily obtained blend. But I tend toward Virginias and Burleys which offer a lot of flavor (sweetness, nuttiness, zesty citrus, dark fruit) without compromise.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still new to pipe smoking so suggestions like these are definitely helpful.

I had one person tell me they love Frog Morton. Anyone else a fan? Is it worth picking up?

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! The entire Frog Morton series is delicious. I like the original, but FM Cellar seems to be everybody's favorite and I can't fault it one bit.

Awesome. This thread has convinced me to give Frog Morton a try. :D

Does anyone have experience with Mac Baren Vanilla Cream? Seems to have good reviews, but also seems ridiculously expensive. My local tobacco shop's website says 100g is $58.

I forget what it's called in psychology, when you finally stop denial and face reality, but I just can't smoke aros. Something about the flavorings that make my mouth hurt. Not just tongue bite, but my whole mouth gets irritated. There are several that I love the taste of, but my mouth needs days to heal afterwards. I will soon be pifing a couple of pounds (literally) of all my aromatic tobacco. The good news is the more I smoke excellent Virginias, English and Va-Per blends, the more I enjoy them.

I forget what it's called in psychology, when you finally stop denial and face reality, but I just can't smoke aros. Something about the flavorings that make my mouth hurt. Not just tongue bite, but my whole mouth gets irritated. There are several that I love the taste of, but my mouth needs days to heal afterwards. I will soon be pifing a couple of pounds (literally) of all my aromatic tobacco. The good news is the more I smoke excellent Virginias, English and Va-Per blends, the more I enjoy them.

That is unfortunate. I can't say I've heard of that sort of reaction previously. :(

Might be a PG allergy or sensitivity.

I'm don't have a scientific explanation, but I my experience is consistent. I at first thought it was due to cheap, bulk brands (Lane 1Q & Sutliff bulks) but I also experimented with expensive, more mainstream brands like Dunhill Royal Yacht, MaBarren Plumbcake and Esoterica Pembroke. I've tried drying them out, smoking in big pipes, little pipes and cobs. Smoking so slowly that I have to relight for every puff. I love the taste and smell, but if I could only smoke aros, I would likely quit as the pain is real. I can smoke Carter Hall, EMP, Night cap, Orlik slices, FVF, All the Frog Mortons, Penzance, Stonehaven, So to Bed, and a long list of others all day long. Funny, as it was the amazing smell and taste of Sutliff Rum that made me pick up the pipe.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Awesome. This thread has convinced me to give Frog Morton a try. :D

Does anyone have experience with Mac Baren Vanilla Cream? Seems to have good reviews, but also seems ridiculously expensive. My local tobacco shop's website says 100g is $58.

Where are you located? That 100g tin is available mail order in the U.S. from several vendors for about $9.

Where are you located? That 100g tin is available mail order in the U.S. from several vendors for about $9.

I live in Ontario, Canada. Things are usually higher in price here than in the U.S., so I'm used to that.

But 100g of tobacco being SIX times as much is a little absurd. Especially considering $60 bucks for 100 grams seems ridiculous.

So I just found this site called 4noggins and ordered the 100g tin of Mac Baren, a 50g tin of Da Vinci, and a 50g tin of McClelland Holiday spirit for $30.07.

Still don't know if I ended up on the plus side or not, since shipping was $37.60 for some reason (again, absurdly high, and I order packages from the U.S. all the time) so that shipping plus conversion to CAD caused the order to end being $87.

If anyone knows of any sites with more reasonable shipping than 4noggins (but still ships to Canada) I'm all ears.

I like my non-aromatics. Carter Hall and McClelland No. 5100 Red Cake are the two I enjoy most often. I pick up some GLP Cairo if I want something that requires my attention.

Prefer non-aromatics, generally English or Balkan blends. There is just something about the smell & taste of the Latakia blends that always draws me in.

Like most people I started with aromatics but quickly went to non aro's. Smoking mostly drugstore blends and some flake now and then. Tried some "English" blends and while not an everyday for me I enjoy them now and then. Now comes the strange part. Been smoking more aro's again. Not the, the burn your face off drugstore aro's, but some a bit higher quality. Someone said that 1Q was what Tinder Box sold as Wilshire and I remember a friend gave me some years, well decades, ago and I liked it so im going to order some. So I guess to cut to it, I smoke both.

I'm solidly in the non-Aro camp, smoke mostly VAPERS, Virginias, and Latakia based blends in Fall/Winter. With that said I've gotten some Erinmore, Ennerdale, and some Dark Flake Scented and while I'm still developing my palette for the scented and Ennerdale I love the Erinmore.

I have also enjoyed and reordered GLP Sextant and the lightly topped navy flakes have been well enjoyed.

I guess I'm just not one for the heavy Aro's. I do want to try Molto Dulca as I've heard a lot about it.

I guess I'm just not one for the heavy Aro's. I do want to try Molto Dulca as I've heard a lot about it.

Molto Dolce is the heaviest aro I've ever smoked. It is the definition of goopy, and it crackles when you smoke it. It's great if you want a sugary shock.

At the other end of the spectrum, Sutliff Mulled Wine and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic are very mild aros, barely topped at all and not the least bit goopy.

I love me some VAs and VaPers. That said... I also love Lakeland blends.

American aromatics are yucky though (for the most part).

I'm solidly in the non-Aro camp, smoke mostly VAPERS, Virginias, and Latakia based blends in Fall/Winter. With that said I've gotten some Erinmore, Ennerdale, and some Dark Flake Scented and while I'm still developing my palette for the scented and Ennerdale I love the Erinmore.

I have also enjoyed and reordered GLP Sextant and the lightly topped navy flakes have been well enjoyed.

Try HU Tobacco's Kelvin's Silent Secret. [emoji106]

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4480/hu-tobacco-kelvins-silent-secret

Last edited:
I literally smoke a little of everything. Right now I have four blends open: 2 Englishes, 1 Aro, 1 OTC codger. Early Morning Pipe, Stokabe English Oriental, Drew Estate Central Park Stroll, and Granger. My tastes vary from day to day.

Top Bottom