What's new

Recommend a new razor for me

I've been using a late '40s SuperSpeed with various blades (Feather, Derby, Merkur, Personna, etc.) and I find that I'm not getting as close a shave as I'd like. I'm beginning to think that perhaps an adjustable razor is the right path for me so I'm hoping to get some recommendations. If it makes a difference, I find that I prefer the Feather blades with my current razor. Thanks for your help.

For closer, you might want to consider something with a less bulbous head -- a tech, NEW, or Merkur HD are all good options. Of course, the adjustables are nice, too -- I just get my closest shaves with the HD and NEW. The Krona is a TTO with a lower profile head that might also be worth a shot. YMMV, of course.

You must have your technique down well. There are slight variations between superspeed models, however, it sounds like you want to go much more agressive. You have a number of options, one of which is an adjustable. Dealing first with the adjustable option, if you are looking for a new razor you are essentially dealing with Merkers. There are three options there with plusses and minuses with each. I am not going to get into a treatise on these razors. Check out the reviews. As far as vintage razors go, the type of Gillette adjustable will depend on your hand size. I am a big guy with large hands. I like the fatboy and long handled black beauty but I also use the slim 3 1/2 inch standard. I just prefer the longer handle. For a more agressive non-adjustable the Merker slant bar is your next step up. For purposes of this post, Merkers come in short or longer handles and weights. See the reviews. Slant bars recreate the feel of a blade going down and sideways at the same time. It will give you a great shave but your technique must be very good because cuts are more likely, especially with the equivalent of a 5 to 6 adjustment on the Gillette adjustable. Finally, both Merker and Gillette make, and in the case of Gillette, made, open comb models. These are easily identified by the comb like cap on the razors. They were designed to replicate the same shave as a straight razor. They are very agressive and should be used with care by experienced DE shavers. My suggestion is that you should probably start with an adjustable and dial up to your favorite agression setting. Please remember that the Feather blade is very sharp. You may find that if you go to a more agressive razor you may prefer the Derby, Personna Red or Crystal type blade in conjunction with the more agressive razor. More agression, less irritation... If you become addicted, like some of us, you will probably wind up buying more razors and will ultimately find your preferred nitch.

Slim adjustable or Fatboy. The Red tip superspeed is also nice - it's 3/8 ounce heavier than the standard Superspeed and has a more aggressive blade angle.

But my favorite of the three is the slim.

I get a great close smooth shave every time with a 40's super speed and Personna reds.I'd recommend really being sure your technique is right. Going more aggressive might lead to other problems like irritation. GOOD LUCK!

+ whatever on the HD. I think you will be very happy with the selection.

Also +1 on the technique thing and that is one thing I like about the HD; it can be aggressive and it requires good technique if you want a smooth and close shave.

I get a great close shave with my 40's SS and an Astra blade. Actually, its the closest I get with any razor/blade combo. Better off with the HD than a tech or a new. Adjustables do okay too. I prefer the fatboy to the slim. I have a long handled adjustable that I have yet to use. I'd give you a review of it if I could.

+1 for the HD. it's easy to get decent shaves with the SS, but in my experience with a '49 and a '58, the HD wins out. and you can't beat the price....

FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of the SS razors - I get decent shaves, but find the head awkward and many of the fixed heads a little mild in that I need to do a bunch of touch up.

I much prefer the 2 or 3-piece razors.

While the HD is often suggested as a good razor for folks wanting to try something other than the SS, I think the Classic (regular or long-handled) is a great razor that doesn't get the praise its due.

The Gillette NEWs are also great razors.

I would stay away from the adjustables if you're trying to work on technique - the temptation is to fiddle with the adjustment in an effort to fix any techinque shortcomings.

If your heart is set on an adjustable, I like the Progress (haven't tried the Futur or Vision) better than the Gillettes. Also, I would find a setting that you're comfortable with and keep it there for a bit before fiddling too much with the adjustment.

My $0.02.

Thanks for all your advice so far. I've been using the SS for over a year and a half and I think my technique is reasonably good (although I'm sure it can use some improvement).

I often resort to the down and sideways trick to get closer and it helps but it's easy to get too aggressive with that maneuver so I don't do it every day. I also try the J flip and that is effective as well.

It just seems like there's not a way to get the exact right angle on the thicker stubble. I've tried steeper and shallower angles, with the grain, against the grain and diagonal to the grain. In the end I'm still left with some (very, very short) hair on my face.

Maybe I'm just missing some essential understanding of how to position and use the SS but I tend to think it's more a problem with the less agressive blade angle of the SS head.

I know, I know, it's a poor craftsman that blames his tools but in this case, I can't help wondering if there's a better tool for this particular job.

So, a follow-up question. The recommendations you guys have given me are great. If the cost is not a significant obstacle, would you recommend some of the more expensive razors or is there not a material difference between them and the more affordable ones you are suggested?

You might want to try a Progress modified by Mer (Mergress). I've found it to be very aggressive or gentle depending on how you set it.

It gives me the smoothest, closest shaves of any razor I own (HD, 23c, Slant, Vision, Slim).

You might want to try a Progress modified by Mer (Mergress). I've found it to be very aggressive or gentle depending on how you set it.

It gives me the smoothest, closest shaves of any razor I own (HD, 23c, Slant, Vision, Slim).

+1 on the Progress. I consistently get great shaves using the Progress, set on 2.5 max, whichever blades I use, and I much prefer it over any of the other razors in my cupboard.

+2 on the Mergress. I have only two razors, a 1940's SS (no date code) and a Mergress, and the Mergress put my RAD into serious remission. I really like the SS, and still shave with it from time to time, but the Mergress is just awesome. I can dial it to whatever I like, but I usually have it at 2.5 or 3.

Top Bottom