What's new

Technique For Heavier Grinds

Why do I find it more difficult to get close shaves with quarter and half hollows and wedges?

With my full and extra hollows it's DFS/BBS every time now, so why not with the heavier grinds?

Is it simply a matter of angle, or are there other factors?

I love the easy comfortable shaves from the heavier grinds so how do I get them as close as the more bitey full and extra hollows?

Other than shaving with a slightly wider angle for true wedges, so they don't "stick," I don't notice a difference. Perhaps [at the risk of offending] your thicker grinds aren't honed as well as your thinner grinds?

Other than shaving with a slightly wider angle for true wedges, so they don't "stick," I don't notice a difference. Perhaps [at the risk of offending] your thicker grinds aren't honed as well as your thinner grinds?
Hmm...I wonder. I've taken my Henckels TWIN half hollow back to the stones twice now already.
It's not stainless but the steel feels very different from any of my other vintage or modern str8s...

I find zero difference among my razors. Near wedge to extra hollow, Nada man! Some fit in my hand better, but shave wise or technique? No Imo.

Well the Henckels is in the waiting room ready for rehoning, so we'll see...
...for me the thinner grinds always feel more "bitey" on my face so maybe it's an angle issue too.

Same end result here, the journey is different.

I'm used to thin grinds, when I pick up s heavier one the lack of audible feedback I think causes me to use more pressure.

Same end result here, the journey is different.

I'm used to thin grinds, when I pick up s heavier one the lack of audible feedback I think causes me to use more pressure.

Agreed the perception of the shave is different in situ, but mind the pressure and things end up akin to a hollow.

Well I've solved the problem at least with my Henckels half-hollow.

I rehoned it from scratch but was still not getting a really close shave until I made my shaving angle steeper and then suddenly it gave superb results.

Maybe I've given the Henckels a fatter bevel than my other razors - in any case using a steeper angle has given that lovely BBS I was looking for :)

Top Bottom