What's new

Omega Badgers - Quality?

Omega and semogue are the two top boar brushes. Both have about an equal following.

In general: the semogues have nice handles and the omegas have a hollow plastic handle - but some of the omegas have nice handles too (the 13064 for example).

The other big difference is in their bristles. The semogues all splay a lot. None of the omegas splay. This comes down to personal preference - both make lather equally well. Also, the omegas break in a lot faster.

For semogues, the 1305 / 830 is often recommended as a good all around brush. The 620 / 610 is often recommended for face lathering.

For omegas, the 10049 and 10066 are often recommended as an all around brush, and the 10048 and 13064 are often recommended for bowl lathers.

Omega gets a lot of love for their boar brushes, but their badger brushes, especially their silvertips, are exceptional and very highly underrated. The price point is excellent as well.
View attachment 550882
They are super-soft and the quality is superior.

Omega Boars work as they are from the box
Cheap plastic handles but that means low price,knots that don't bloom too much.
I have some Omega re-handled and look excellent.
Semogue have more expensive handles with a ring,they need a lot of time for break-in and till then won't last lather for 3 passes and that is disappointing.

Omega and semogue are the two top boar brushes. Both have about an equal following.

In general: the semogues have nice handles and the omegas have a hollow plastic handle - but some of the omegas have nice handles too (the 13064 for example).

The other big difference is in their bristles. The semogues all splay a lot. None of the omegas splay. This comes down to personal preference - both make lather equally well. Also, the omegas break in a lot faster.

For semogues, the 1305 / 830 is often recommended as a good all around brush. The 620 / 610 is often recommended for face lathering.

For omegas, the 10049 and 10066 are often recommended as an all around brush, and the 10048 and 13064 are often recommended for bowl lathers.

Omega Boars work as they are from the box
Cheap plastic handles but that means low price,knots that don't bloom too much.
I have some Omega re-handled and look excellent.
Semogue have more expensive handles with a ring,they need a lot of time for break-in and till then won't last lather for 3 passes and that is disappointing.

GENTLEMEN! B-A-D-G-E-R-S This pretty much proves my point. I have read countless threads on Omega BOARS, but can't seem to find much on their BADGER Brushes. They don't seem to make many, but I have seen a few that look damn nice!

patten1969 - We meet again, my fellow NE com padre! Thanks for the info. I already pulled the trigger on 2, so, I guess it's pretty much too late now! Although, positive reviews and opinions would surely be nice! The price points seem very decent, which may be concerning or a true bargain (not overpriced)!

Peace!

I currently have only one badger and it's the 6211 omega. I followed the hint from another forum member.
I was searching a badger with enough backbone to have a good face lather, since I shave with boars 95% of my time.
It is like above and i like it a lot. Imo it's highly recommended

The Omega badger brushes that I have tried have both been excellent quality. I do find that they are better suited to bowl lathering, unless you don't mind having a lot of splay or minimal backbone feedback when face lathering. Since I face lather exclusively and prefer moderate feedback I sold both my Silvertip Omegas. They are great value though if they offer what you are looking for in a brush.

I have a 599 that I rotate among my travel brushes. It's top notch. The silvertip knot is right in the upper class of silvertip. The handle is a light shade of faux horn it is beautiful. It lathers nice and has a great face feel. I traveled with it last week.

It is an 18 mm brush with a loft somewhere in the 45+ mm range. I got mine from West Coast Shaving and you can find the specs on their web site.

If I were to have a complaint (and i don't) it would be that the handle is a but stubby. It is a good shaving week when I pack this brush.

Last edited:
I have the 636 and 599, and have been very pleased with both. Not a ton of backbone, but sufficient for me to face lather with hard pucks and sticks (I like to do a lot of it, not just a couple of hard swirls). Great flow through, soft and luxuriant on the face, no funk, no shedding.

The 636 is smallish/medium, but the 599 is small bulb and tiny handle, so you might want to consider that. Insanely cheap for the quality, IMO.

I love my Omega brush. It's a budget brush, but I mean it's a descent enough quality. It doesn't shed when I use it and I've had this thing I think for 3 or 4 years now. I love it. I think I paid in the neighborhood of maybe $24. I only got it because I wanted a long handled boar brush for my deep soap mug. I think it's a beaut. Like Humphrey Bogart said in the "African Queen", "Ya places yer money, and ya takes yer choice." I like it, I'm not sorry I got it, and the biggest reason I love it is because it's not an expensive brush, I can use it and abuse it like my other brushes. Having quality is one thing. Using it without guilt.......that's priceless ;)

Edit: Mine isn't a badger....it's a boar....oink, oink.....woopsy....

$20150221_205940_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I love my Omega brush. It's a budget brush, but I mean it's a descent enough quality. It doesn't shed when I use it and I've had this thing I think for 3 or 4 years now. I love it. I think I paid in the neighborhood of maybe $24. I only got it because I wanted a long handled boar brush for my deep soap mug. I think it's a beaut. Like Humphrey Bogart said in the "African Queen", "Ya places yer money, and ya takes yer choice." I like it, I'm not sorry I got it, and the biggest reason I love it is because it's not an expensive brush, I can use it and abuse it like my other brushes. Having quality is one thing. Using it without guilt.......that's priceless ;)

Edit: Mine isn't a badger....it's a boar....oink, oink.....woopsy....

View attachment 551115

I saw that it was a BOAR prior to your "ooops" edit on top of the picture! It seems most are on Omega BOAR auto-pilot. I wonder how well Omega BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADGERS..................sell?

Thanks Gentlemen, for the feedback and opinions on both types of brushes!

I have an Omega pure badger. My least favourite brush, prickly and floppy. I have no idea how their silvertips are, though.

Semogue have more expensive handles with a ring,they need a lot of time for break-in and till then won't last lather for 3 passes and that is disappointing.[/QUOTE]

i respectfully disagree... I have two Semogues (620 and 1305) that are nicely broken in and easily last 3-4 passes plus touch-ups, with lots of lather left over - if I use a good cream (TOBS). I find that these boars are terrible water and lather hogs, absorbing most of the lather in the bowl. My key is to pull the lather out of the brush several times during lather building and add water as needed. Fills the bowl with loads of nice shave lather.
Now, the down sides of boars IMHO, is that they take a long time to thoroughly dry and do splay a lot. I mean they splay more than all of my badgers and do not retain their shapes unless they are tubed, which I do in the den cabinet. Tubing is mainly aesthetic, but does keep them in nice shape and looking good. Also seems to keep the bloom under control to a point.
I am likely to cut these loose and replace with Whipped Dog badgers - probably black, set lower in the handles for more backbone. In my limited experience, my badgers (6) whip lather more quickly, splay less, dry faster, are softer and keep their shape better. Have yet to try my Vie horsehair. That should be interesting!

I have an Omega pure badger. My least favourite brush, prickly and floppy. I have no idea how their silvertips are, though.

My first brush was an Omega pure (63171). Hated everything about it. After 2 months I bought a Rooney and PIF'd the Omega.

I have two Omega Silvertips, the 6234 Faux Ivory and the 6215 Faux Jade. The 6234 has a very soft knot that is great for bowl lathering, but has very little backbone. The handle feels pretty good in hand but the label was partially rubbed off when it was delivered and that irked me. Also, the brush gives up a few hairs every now and then so I worry if it will hold up for a long period of time. The 6215 is a bigger brush with more backbone that can be used for both bowl and face lathering. It is also soft and I don't remember it having any scritch, although it's been a few months since I last used it. This is one of the brushes with the gold Omega logo affixed to the handle to which I am not a fan. Looks a bit cheap to me. The handle has nice heft and feels good, but I'm not a huge fan of the look of the jade. All in all, I find these brushes to be good entry level silvertips at a good price point, but lacking a little bit in build quality and design.

Top Bottom