What's new

On May 2nd, Mayweather and Pacquaio will finally face each other.

i have to agree (for once about floyd with you). i think that's the reason that he agreed to take this fight. While i think this fight will be more competitive than most think, i think Floyd still has more in the the tank that manny.

I hope manny wins, but i'm not so sure at this point. The smart money is on floyd. I wish Manny didn't get into politics, his boxing would have had more focus. Instead of being put on the backburner. Floyd lives and breathes boxing, that is the difference imo.
Manny will be more focused, he has been wanting this for too long. All great athletes have that inner drive that pushes them to great performances. If he doesn't get tired from chasing Floyd around the ring, he will have a chance.....but we all know that Floyd will bring his power running game.

I think Floyd's been avoiding this one because he didn't want to have to face a hard hitting southpaw, but Manny's going to have to really be all in on this one if he's going to win. As you said, Floyd trains everyday and he's going to be ready. I'm interested to see how he switches his defense up to face a lefty.
Floyd defense..

$Bolt_Endof100m_original_original.gif

Today's world class athlete can excel past there prime time 20's well into the 30's, even bench warmers have great years as they age.

If you think either of these guys are in their primes right now, you must not have seen them 8 to 10 years ago.

This was awesome to watch.

foreman, lewis, hopkins, de la hoya, mosley, marquez, hatton and cotto. Giving their thoughts on the big fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I think Floyd's been avoiding this one because he didn't want to have to face a hard hitting southpaw, but Manny's going to have to really be all in on this one if he's going to win. As you said, Floyd trains everyday and he's going to be ready. I'm interested to see how he switches his defense up to face a lefty.

I totally agree-I think Mayweather is now confident Manny can't hit him like he could have a few years ago.

I don't think it matters a great deal that this fight is taking place now rather than 5 years ago. It might be a different fight, but it will still be an important one and, possibly, a great fight. Floyd Mayweather is still boxing's best defensive fighter and Manny is still the best offensive. Theoretically, a great matchup.

As for Floyd "running", Alex and I have disagreed on this in the past. Boxing is the art of not getting hit as much as it is about hitting. Years ago, HBO gave my company some footage to show at our booth at a trade show in Vegas. Part of that footage was a Mayweather fight and in this one clip, Mayweather was trapped in the corner and his opponent (I forget who), threw about 5 or 6 punches in a row at his head. Although I watched that clip over the course of the week at least 30 times, I could never figure out how he managed to slip or block every single one of them. He was trapped in the corner and didn't get hit once. It's a level of athleticism and skill no other boxer fighting today can equal.

As for Manny, his combination of footwork, balance and aggression make him a threat against anyone; even Mayweather. When he fights, I cannot believe the speed and power of the punches he throws from inconceivable angles. Again, no other fight boxing today can do what he does. Even at his age. Unfortunately, his aggressiveness has diminished over the last few fights. It's like he doesn't want to hurt anyone; he just wants to win. I think this is what is going to lose him this fight. The other distractions don't help either. At this level of boxing, the mind is more important and Floyd's mind is totally into this fight.

It would be great to know what Freddie Roach's game plan is to beat Floyd. One has to believe that they're expecting it to go the full 12 rounds and so Manny will come out and try to take all the early rounds with a strong attack to the body. Manny always leaves an opening to get hit but it's not a threat to him against slower fighters. Against Floyd, however, he's going to get jabbed all night. How that plays out in rounds 6-12 will determine the fight. Both fighters are fit, but Manny will be working harder in the first half of the fight. If he doesn't score to the body in the first 6 rounds, then he loses.

I don't actually see how Floyd loses, but if he does, then it will be great for boxing. It'll mean a rematch and that might be the real fight of the century.

Just watched the Mayweather/Canelo fight from last year. Wow. Floyd's fighting a 23 year old, undefeated, naturally bigger fighter and dominates him for at least 10, maybe 11 of the rounds. By round 11, Canelo looks tired, slow and arm weary. Mayweather, oth, looks as quick and sharp as he did in round 1.

I remember thinking that Canelo really had a shot at Mayweather. Quick hands of stone and a great body puncher. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wow. .only Foreman voted for Pac-Man

I heard somewhere that Tyson picked Manny too. (Not in that video, of course. That would have been interesting.) I suspect all fighters will tend to believe that the guy who fights most like they did "back in the day" will have the advantage.

Just watched the Mayweather/Canelo fight from last year. Wow. Floyd's fighting a 23 year old, undefeated, naturally bigger fighter and dominates him for at least 10, maybe 11 of the rounds. By round 11, Canelo looks tired, slow and arm weary. Mayweather, oth, looks as quick and sharp as he did in round 1.

I remember thinking that Canelo really had a shot at Mayweather. Quick hands of stone and a great body puncher. Couldn't have been more wrong.
That was a great fight. Floyd does get stronger at the end in his last few flights.

Top Bottom