What's new

On May 2nd, Mayweather and Pacquaio will finally face each other.

proxy.php

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/s...op&rand=ref~{"ref":"https://www.google.com/"}

People still want to watch it though, I just read on sports illustrated that the MGM grand sold out in 15 minutes.

People want to watch because it is the ONLY big fight that is left, name recognition wise. This could have been a fight for the ages. Now, it is a fight of the aged.

I'll still watch, but I agree it should've happened years ago when both were in their primes.

This. I am wondering when the Vegas books will have a line for which fighter has a coronary in the ring?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
MrLara:
Wow, what a pay day for both...can you say 'cha-ching'?
proxy.php

And to quote the article above..."one that will see Mayweather receive the lion's share of a 60-40 money split in a fight that could gross around $400 million -- rival premium cable networks Showtime, which has Mayweather under contract, and HBO, which has a deal with Pacquiao, went through a brutal negotiation".

proxy.php
"[In boxing] You've only got three choices...give up, give in or give it all you got". Author Unknown

MrLara:
Wow, what a pay day for both...can you say 'cha-ching'?
proxy.php

And to quote the article above..."one that will see Mayweather receive the lion's share of a 60-40 money split in a fight that could gross around $400 million -- rival premium cable networks Showtime, which has Mayweather under contract, and HBO, which has a deal with Pacquiao, went through a brutal negotiation".

proxy.php
"[In boxing] You've only got three choices...give up, give in or give it all you got". Author Unknown

And Mayweather will receive most, if not all of that 60%, where Pacquiao will be splitting his 40% with his promoter, so the compensation gap is really even larger.

I actually liked that movie. Not too bad imo.

Bob Arum, one of the promoters has said that the event will probably be $80 +, but not more than $100.

Todays prime seems to be 35 to 38 , where as in the 80's it was 25 to 28....times do change and so do the world class athlete.

That might be their prime mentally, but certainly not physically. There's a reason why you don't see a bunch of 38 year old athletes dominating any sport, though there are a handful of exceptions.

Good thing that Floyd still has some prime, because all that running will sure tire him out.

i have to agree (for once about floyd with you). i think that's the reason that he agreed to take this fight. While i think this fight will be more competitive than most think, i think Floyd still has more in the the tank that manny.

I hope manny wins, but i'm not so sure at this point. The smart money is on floyd. I wish Manny didn't get into politics, his boxing would have had more focus. Instead of being put on the backburner. Floyd lives and breathes boxing, that is the difference imo.

I think Floyd's been avoiding this one because he didn't want to have to face a hard hitting southpaw, but Manny's going to have to really be all in on this one if he's going to win. As you said, Floyd trains everyday and he's going to be ready. I'm interested to see how he switches his defense up to face a lefty.

That might be their prime mentally, but certainly not physically. There's a reason why you don't see a bunch of 38 year old athletes dominating any sport, though there are a handful of exceptions.
Today's world class athlete can excel past there prime time 20's well into the 30's, even bench warmers have great years as they age.

Top Bottom