What's new

Still in the SE learning curve

I've had a GEM MMCC for a while and got a MMOC today. Noticed that the CC is badged as a Clog-Pruf, while the OC is badged as simply a Micromatic. The CC was advertised as NOS in box (old style paceboard w/cellophane window), the OC was in a clamshell case (leatherette cover) with GEM insignia inside. The CC appeared to possibly be NOS and shaves very well. The OC show some sign of use, especially the box, but cleaned up beautifully. Question is...can you date the GEM's based on their badging? Just curious. My experience with DE open combs has been great and I am looking forward to SE Sunday with my newest acquisition.

Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to date a Gem to a specific year if that is what you're asking. The MMOC was introduced in 1929 and was in production through the late 1930s and perhaps the early 40s. The Clog-Pruf was introduced in 1934 and was in production until the 1940s.

One thing that can help identify a more precise date for the open comb is the two bumps found on the blade bed. The early models of the MMOC don't have these bumps and they are purportedly slightly more aggressive than the later model with the bumps. If yours has the two bumps (one will be direcly above the "e" in Gem and the other above the "t" in Micromatic) on the blade bed then yours is the more common later revised version.

Welcome to the world of SEing and I hope you like your new razors :)

Last edited:
One thing that can help identify a more precise date for the open comb is the two bumps found on the blade bed. The early models of the MMOC don't have these bumps and they are purportedly slightly more aggressive than the later model with the bumps. If yours has the two bumps (one will be direcly above the "e" in Gem and the other above the "t" in Micromatic) on the blade bed then yours is the more common later revised version.

Thanks for this interesting note...I had to run right to the basement (where my very mini-"den" is located) to check on my MMOC...alas, it has the tell-tale bumps, right where you said they'd be, so I have the later, milder, more common version. I must say though, if this is the milder version, I'd love to see the earlier, more aggressive one...that must be a killer. I love my MMOC, and think it's about the most efficient machine I own (of 20 or so) so an even more efficient one must be amazing.

Bakelite cases tend to be older than plastic or cardboard boxes but other than that the razors inside are pretty much identical.

Congrats on finding two GEM's no pun intended...:thumbup1:
As far as I can tell the Micromatics were the first commercially popular TTO razors, with the bonus of having really cool handles.
I have both the Clog-Pruf and the MMOC and both are in rotation and provide fine shaves.

Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to date a Gem to a specific year if that is what you're asking. The MMOC was introduced in 1929 and was in production through the late 1930s and perhaps the early 40s. The Clog-Pruf was introduced in 1934 and was in production until the 1940s.

Welcome to the world of SEing and I hope you like your new razors :)

I just won a MMOC this morning ($4.65 shipped) .After seeing this post I had to jump back to the web page to look for the bumps. They were there.
Still new to SE shaving .#3 with a Gem PB this morning DFS

Thanks for this interesting note...I had to run right to the basement (where my very mini-"den" is located) to check on my MMOC...alas, it has the tell-tale bumps, right where you said they'd be, so I have the later, milder, more common version. I must say though, if this is the milder version, I'd love to see the earlier, more aggressive one...that must be a killer. I love my MMOC, and think it's about the most efficient machine I own (of 20 or so) so an even more efficient one must be amazing.

I am guessing that it is only a slight difference between the two. I don't own one without the bumps but it seems that the lack of bumps lets the blade spine sit a little lower making the blade angle a little more aggressive. They look to be almost identical except for the bumps and color; the only ones that I have seen without bumps are gold.

$Micromatics.jpg

freebird0064 said:
I just won a MMOC this morning ($4.65 shipped) .After seeing this post I had to jump back to the web page to look for the bumps. They were there.

Glad to hear you are liking your new Push Button, but the MMOC is a whole other level of efficiency. Please report back once you take the MMOC for a test drive and let us know what you think of it.
:shaving:

I am guessing that it is only a slight difference between the two. I don't own one without the bumps but it seems that the lack of bumps lets the blade spine sit a little lower making the blade angle a little more aggressive. They look to be almost identical except for the bumps and color; the only ones that I have seen without bumps are gold.

I think there's a silver one with no bumps up on *Bay now, but it's a little more than $4.65 shipped, alas.

I think there's a silver one with no bumps up on *Bay now, but it's a little more than $4.65 shipped, alas.

Cool, I have never seen a silver one before that was sans humps. I have wondered if there were any around. I took a quick look on the Bay and only saw the ones with bumps. If it is still up for grabs, would you please PM me a link if it isn't too much trouble. Thanks :001_smile

Definitely able to tell a difference between the MMOC and the PB. Not in a bad way, I'm finding that I like a razor that is slightly more on the aggressive side.. DFS with only a couple weepers. Not bad for getting to know a new razor. Also I like the weight of the MMOC over the PB.

Glad to hear that you are liking the MMOC, Freebird. I like the hefty feel of the Micromatic as well, and I am happy to hear that your first outing with it was success :thumbup1:

I recently acquired a very old ever ready SE, it's the open comb type. It is pleasure to use, once I figured out the angle. it makes quick work of 2 days growth, no irritation and feels really smooth on the face. I've also found an ever ready version of the g bar, stil waiting for that to arrive though.

Welcome to the joy of the SE OC. May you experience a BBS! My bumpless old-style Gold MMOC and gold Shovel Head are currently my two favorite razors. I don't own a bumpy MMOC, but the bumpless is definitely the most aggressive razor I own.

Just to let you guys know, I found a bumpless MMOC at a local antique store, and I have used it for a few shaves now. I actually found it smoother than my later model with the bumps. It seemed to be just as efficient if not more so but was surprisingly smoother even when using the exact same blade. I am a big fan of the later MMOC but I think the early one is even better, but of course YMMV.

Just thought that I would give a quick update.

Just to let you guys know, I found a bumpless MMOC at a local antique store, and I have used it for a few shaves now. I actually found it smoother than my later model with the bumps. It seemed to be just as efficient if not more so but was surprisingly smoother even when using the exact same blade. I am a big fan of the later MMOC but I think the early one is even better, but of course YMMV.

Just thought that I would give a quick update.

I'm tempted to start a Bumpless MMOC club. Glad you found one. What color is it?

I'm tempted to start a Bumpless MMOC club. Glad you found one. What color is it?

Count me in if you do start a bumpless club. My new acquisition is gold and I have still yet to see a silver bumpless one. I'll definitely pick one up if I run across one :thumbup1:

Top Bottom