What's new

Anybody else bowl lather with a boar?

I used to use bowls for a while until I discovered scuttles. Never turned back. Once you have a warm lather instead of a cold one you get spoiled, and spoiling ourselves is the name of the game ;)
+2
I tried a boar and used a suribachi which is a total lather fountain that way. Suribachi works with badger too, but could damage it. Anyway, boar - meh!

badger and scuttle is for me

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have some nice badger brushes. One was $135 and one was $195. By all means get a badger brush to have one, or to satisfy your curiosity (I purchase lots of stuff to do that). But don't get one because you think it will work better in your bowl. It will be a little different, but not necessarily better.

My best brush for bowl lathering is the SOC boar. Big, quick lather and doesn't eat a ton of lather. Under $40.

I bowl lather 99% of the time, any brush, any soap or cream. I just seem to get a much better lather. And a BIG ++ on using scuttles for a nice warm lather.

Every brush gets used with a bowl or a scuttle. I go for wet lathers--taking enough time to get the slickness from a yogurty lather--and I do much better at that in a bowl rather than on my face.

To each his own here! But I don't think using a boar with a bowl is uncommon at all.

A bowl nestled in another bowl works great for me in place of a scuttle. Scuttles are beautiful tools, and if you prefer them, enjoy. But I can keep lather warm just fine without one. In fact, I prefer it that way, because I like to hold the bowl in my hand when creating lather. Yeah, I know you can hold a scuttle, but a scuttle full of water is decidedly heavier, and does not fit in the palm of my hand like a proper sized bowl does. And I still get warm, wonderful lather.

I use my scuttle and my Omega Pro 49, and it will blow away $150 badgers any day. Especially after about a 6 month breakin. Luxury!:)

I bowl lather with all my brushes. The only time I face lather is when I'm in a hurry and I am trying to save a little time.

Surprised length of loft hasn't come up yet. I will on occasion use my Omega 48 as a face-latherer, but it excels in a bowl.
The other main bowl brush I have is my Kelley Quan synth.

I use an Omega boar brush as well. This is my first brush and I find the first later in the bowl is always a little on the light side. But for the second it is much better and softer. I will be looking at a badger brush in the near future.

I bowl lather and most of my brushes are boar bristle: B&B Essential, Omega 10066, Semogue 1305, and an unknown knot in a Wedgwood handle. No plans to switch (except for a Plisson that is my travel brush).

I also lather both ways with all my brushes... boar, badger, horse and synthetic. Which way I go is usually dictated by how much time I have... bowl lathering seems to take longer, but the quality of the lather seems improved and more consistent.

I am mainly a face latherer with my boars is perfect. But I like also to use them to bowl lather, why not.
:laugh:
proxy.php

Top Bottom