What's new

My Ever-Ready 300 PBT Restore Adventure

I went with the TGN F2 20mm, it should be here this weekend.
When the knot arrives I'll do the final fit to get the loft. I don't want it too heavy or too light so to build the shelf I may use coins, cork or a combo of the two.

Interested in hearing about this brush - as I have one of these handles ready for a polishing and new knot, and the first brush I rehabbed I used the same TGN F2 Finest in 20mm. I set mine a bit too high for my taste, so I do not use it very much. If I bowl lathered it might get more use. Probably use it today with a new rube of Palmolive cream that came in the mail yesterday.

Looking forward to your results and thoughts on the knot!

Pete

Last edited:
Interested in hearing about this brush - as I have one of these handles ready for a polishing and new knot, and the first brush I rehabbed I used the same TGN F2 Finest in 20mm. I set mine a bit too high for my taste, so I do not use it very much. If I bowl lathered it might get more use. Probably use it today with a new rube of Palmolive cream that came in the mail yesterday.

Looking forward to your results and thoughts on the knot!

Pete
What loft did you set your F2 knot at? I was going to set it around 48-50mm.
I have the knot but haven't put it together yet, but I'll post pictures & impressions when I finish it.

Also I picked up a couple of similar EverReady handles to restore, a F40 (blue and white) and a 200 (black and white) with the same shape as the 300PBT. I think I'm going to go with the TGN standard finest grade for those.

What loft did you set your F2 knot at? I was going to set it around 48-50mm.
I have the knot but haven't put it together yet, but I'll post pictures & impressions when I finish it.

Also I picked up a couple of similar EverReady handles to restore, a F40 (blue and white) and a 200 (black and white) with the same shape as the 300PBT. I think I'm going to go with the TGN standard finest grade for those.

I was going to ask the same question. With a couple of us about to restore the 300 we can share ideas and learn. Let's post our steps and results on the 300 PBT.

Mine was about 54 think it would be great at 48-50. Used mine yesterday with Palmolive cream (classic green stuff). Soft tips but too too floppy for me at that loft. Maybe set it with bathroom silicone sealant so you can more easily remove and reseat if you need to.

The F2 has shed some hairs looks to be about 2 per shave the last shave or two , but much more when setting and first few lathers. About 15 hairs after setting it then 4-5 for the first few uses.

Well Ever-Ready Fans, the vintage brushes are now in hand and ready for the planning stage!

$IMG_0914[1].jpg

As is:

300PBT: knot=17-18mm, loft=46-47mm, handle=56mm, total hgt=105mm

Now the debating on the knot selection. Possibly stay with an 18mm or go to 20mm for the 300?

Any ideas on knot choice and loft setting? I can't deny the popularity of the TGN Finest but I'm wondering about dropping $50 on two knots now. Has anyone gone "cheap" with the Vig Shaving/Victoria Sheng knots from ebay? (Don't throw rocks, just wondering)

How about adding weight with pennies or something? What would be a good weight to aim for?

I would go with 20mm knots or a 20 and a 22mm. I have used VS knots and their silvertips, finest, best, pure and synthetic are all good.

I have used buckshot, nickels, pennies and wine corks to weight the handles and build up the height in the cleaned out handles to set the knots at the loft I want. Seating the weight with epoxy and the wine cork too.

Some members have done nice posts on their restores detailing their steps and providing pictures of the process. Search for SRNEWB from a couple months back think he did one of those detailed posts on the red-black handle.

Good luck.

Pete

Nice to see your handles arrived. I'm looking forward to how they turn out.

I used a Virginia Sheng silvertip in a lucite brush I restored and its a nice knot. I'd order from her again.
If you've never used a silvertip or finest maybe try one of each and see what you like. Once you remove the knot you can toss a few pennies in and get an idea of the weight and adjust it to your taste.
I have my knots already but I'm finishing up a couple of other handles (including an F40 as well) and want set the knots at the same time. Unless something comes up I should be done this weekend.

Nice to see your handles arrived. I'm looking forward to how they turn out.

I used a Virginia Sheng silvertip in a lucite brush I restored and its a nice knot. I'd order from her again.
If you've never used a silvertip or finest maybe try one of each and see what you like. Once you remove the knot you can toss a few pennies in and get an idea of the weight and adjust it to your taste.
I have my knots already but I'm finishing up a couple of other handles (including an F40 as well) and want set the knots at the same time. Unless something comes up I should be done this weekend.

Thanks for this! What are the differing qualities between the Silvertip and Finest? I think I will stay away from any "Pure" or "Best" badger knots. What depth sets are you going with?

Thank you Steve.

I think that the silvertips have softer tips and slightly less backbone than a finest knot. I like the finest knots and typically they cost less than the silvertip knots. With both of these knots - I believe that the hair is set in the epoxy base knot so that the natural tips are at the end of the brush shape if that makes sense. The hair is from different parts of the badger, but the hair is not trimmed to give it that bulb or fan shape. I think when you get into the Pure/Black/Grey - there can be some trimming done to get that final shape - at least in the less expensive production brushes - and this gives the brush knot a more 'scritchy' feel as the natural tips can be mixed in with cut ends that will be rougher on your face.

I purchased a VS Pure knot that is a slight bit 'scrubbier' or 'scritchier', but it is a very nice knot and I would not hesitate another one as I like it. Plenty of brush manufacturers offer 'Pure' knotted brushes and some of the manufacturers and their models have loyal followers. I have also purchased a 'best' 20mm knot from VS - and it was a very nice knot - put into a black/white Ever-Ready 100T handle and set it at 50mm - the brush is great and a joy to use. Sort of between the silvertip and the finest in terms of soft tips and backbone.

I think that you can adjust the knot height with a silvertip to increase the backbone if that is a quality you desire in your brush - so that you have the benefit of soft tips while still maintaining good backbone. Look at what some of the Simpsons brushes look like - their Classic and Chubby line of brushes. The finest knots seem to have more backbone than similarly sized knots made up of silvertip hair. Some people on here like the The Golden Nib (TGN) finest knots and prefer their finest grade for their soft tips and well regarded backbone - even over the silvertip knots.

There are many more knowledgeable folks on here that can let you know the benefits better than me - and you may want to check out the brush buying guide or wiki on hair types for specifics on there differences. I would consider getting more than one and take advantage of the combined shipping. A finest and silvertip knot each would be my first choices - and maybe get a 22mm of one of the two extra - throw in a 20mm synthetic from her too for $7.

That is a really great overview!!! Thanks for your help. Once I pull the trigger I will update the thread along the way.

Top Bottom