What's new

First tentative steps into straight shaving

The idea of straight shaving is terrifically appealing; the practice so far has been for me, shall we say, less than stellar. I've had a few goes now - maybe three or four, just sticking to the cheeks for the moment. I have just acquired a Thiers-Issard 6/8" razor - lovely thing... quite scary in its way!

Various problems: for the first time ever I'm shaving in a way that has my hand and arm up and over my face, and not coming up from below, so to speak. So I still haven't quite worked out how to angle myself and my arm in a way which gives me a clear view.

Straight razors are totally unforgiving. This morning, simply through being inattentive to the task, I managed to slice myself about an inch away from the corner of my lips - not a deep or long cut, but an accident which would never happen with a safety razor.

I've got very used to a safety razor sliding over my skin; I suppose the extra metal helps. There's no guide of course on a straight razor, so it's a quite different "feel" - far less smooth. I can't help being a bit scared whenever I pick up the razor and apply it to my face, knowing that a slight slip could have very sanguinary consequences. I take heart in the fact that many many men have learned to shave with a straight razor, everybody has to start from scratch, and everybody's learning curve is different. And I recall when I had my first driving lesson, and how amazingly hard I found it all (managing accelerator, brake, clutch and gears, steering, keeping an eye out for other cars - how on earth do people manage to do it all?) - and now it's second nature.

So we'll see how we go. At my current state of incompetent fumbling, I'm wondering when I might allow myself to graduate from cheeks to jawline, neck, moustache area, below the lips and chin?

cheers folks!
-A.

Like you said, men have learned to do this for many, many years. If an idiot like me can learn to do this with some level of proficiency, pretty much anybody can! [emoji39] just take your time, watch some videos, keep asking questions, and you'll do great!

The "far less smooth" concept will change once technique and edge come together. Nothing in shaving more pleasurable than a velvet squeegee edge.

You can do this! Just be careful, go slow, stretch your skin, keep a super close angle, and just shave where you're comfortable. The more you shave with the razors, the better they treat you, ime. Just hang in there, and feel free to change up and use a DE to finish or to let your face "rest."

+1 on the videos. They will show you how to shave without blocking your view. Straight razor shaving is also a great way to discover that your non dominate hand can do just as good of a job as your dominate hand.

As a new Straight Shaver myself, I sympathize and can relate. The first time that the blade feels like it's catching is a butt-puckering moment as you wonder, "how bad is this going to bleed?"

Do NOT be intimidated.

Watch a few videos, as they will show you things like positioning of the blade to allow you to see what is going on. This is always a good thing for beginners like us. Once you can see AND feel what a proper pass is like, you will gain confidence in your stroke. don't forget to REWATCH the ones you like, as you'll learn new things each time. I have, anyway

Read the Journals. I have been reading a few, and asking questions in mine. You will discover things I them that really help, like the notion that you are not scraping the blade across your skin, but rather simply swiping the lather off of your face. For me, this comment (from I forget who) helped with the idea of blade pressure on the skin, and grip firmness as well.

Start your own journal and ask questions. I have found that members here practically fall over themselves trying to be helpful to folks like you and I, who want to get a handle on Straight shaving without all the trial and error that leads to blood-letting.

DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED. It is a piece of metal. A SHARP piece of metal, to be sure, but it can do nothing you do not tell it to do. Good luck to you sir, and may your next shave be smoother than the last.

Congratulations on taking the first step. You will just know instinctively, when your comfort level rises, when to move on to the other parts of your face. Results will come surprisingly quickly.
Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Pete <:-}

Many thanks, all of you, for your kind and encouraging responses. I have a feeling it will be lots of very little steps... but it's an adventure!

As to journals and videos, any you recommend? I've watched a few videos, but they all say much the same thing. Never read any journals, though. And of course no matter how useful a video might be, there's a huge step going from watching somebody else to actually doing it yourself!

Thanks again,
-A.

A couple of videos that are essential to watch are on YouTube:
1. Shaving tutorial by Lynn Abrams. It's a long one but chock full of info.
2. The Three Pass Shave. Do a search for this one. You'll know its the right one if its a middle aged guy with classical music playing.
Hope this helps!

Pete <:-}

What is your strop setup? Any honing stones? I became more at ease as I spent more time stropping & connecting with the razor. I spent a little time honing as well but I'm not sure it really needed it (it was just a refresh & I needed the practice anyway). It's just that the shaves seemed to get better as I tried to improve the razor's edge quality.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yes, it can be pretty intimidating when you are starting out. However, most folks look back after a few months and think "What the heck was I afraid of? This is easy!"

As mentioned already, reading some journals (see link in my sig) and perhaps starting one of your own will put you amongst a bunch of folks who are either walking the same path of learning or just passed the major hurdles. It's always good to have folks to chat with. Many of us report on every shave and have running conversations on what works, problems, lather etc... with others' journals as well.

Thanks folks... after maybe six shaves (I've been short of time so it's been back to the DE) I can probably do my cheeks as well as an electric razor (which means a touchup with the DE after!): also experimented with under the nose, along the jawline and around the chin.

Thanks for your encouragement! Still scary, but - that thing is SHARP.

-A.

I've also started a journal.

Thanks folks... after maybe six shaves (I've been short of time so it's been back to the DE) I can probably do my cheeks as well as an electric razor (which means a touchup with the DE after!): also experimented with under the nose, along the jawline and around the chin.

Thanks for your encouragement! Still scary, but - that thing is SHARP

-A.

I've also started a journal.

I'm right with you! Just into my third shave and smarting a little from the experience. What disturbed me was the way the blade stalled on the whiskers on my chin sometimes. Forcing it instinctively feels like you're going to cut yourself badly. In reality, I'm sure I just need to reduce the blade angle. It is scary. Undeterred, I'm leaving it for tomorrow and doing battle again the day after. More research, more reflection and more lessons learned. Best of luck!

Top Bottom