What's new

looking for suggestions on a nice folding knife

Hey B&B! I am interested in getting a nice folding pocket knife & an looking for any suggestions! If anyone cares to weigh in, forward a link, etc. please do.

thanks,
Tim

Hey B&B! I am interested in getting a nice folding pocket knife & an looking for any suggestions! If anyone cares to weigh in, forward a link, etc. please do.

thanks,
Tim
I consider myself a knife aficionado. What kind of price range are you looking at? Do you have a preference for opening style and/or locking design?

I've been collecting custom knives for 25 years. Here's what we need you to answer to better help you:

1. budget
2. size
3. what are you using it for? Everyday business pocket carry? Military? Officer?
4. multiblade or single blade?

once you answer those simple questions, then we can get started.

If I know Tim, and I do...he'll be looking at a budget of $100-150. Benchmade, Sog, Damaskus etc.

There are a couple EDC knives at the office for you to see today. At least to give you a sense of what size and blade shape you may want.

Cabella's has a nice selection to view and hold. Pretty much every size and style around and then you can see if it fits your need or you want to upgrade to one purchased online.

WOW, I guess I didn't know, what I didn't know, BUT I knew Bruce would have some.........thanks for bringing them in! For everyone's reference, although Bruce was nice enough to bring me in a couple "KERSHAW" knives. One is just a straight blade, and the other has a bit of a "serrated" par to it. They both have the "THUMB FLIPPY THINGY" which is what I prefer. From the sounds of it, I will be making a trip out to Cabella's and check them all out! If I can get away with a $40 - $60 price point, I'm good with that - but I'm not opposed to spending more if need be. I will keep you posted with my choice.... (if anyone is interested :) )

If I know Tim, and I do...he'll be looking at a budget of $100-150. Benchmade, Sog, Damaskus etc.

There are a couple EDC knives at the office for you to see today. At least to give you a sense of what size and blade shape you may want.

Cabella's has a nice selection to view and hold. Pretty much every size and style around and then you can see if it fits your need or you want to upgrade to one purchased online.

Actually, after seeing how you almost sliced your thumb off with your razor blade this morning....stick with your wooden knife. :tongue_sm

proxy.php

I love knives. Big ones, little ones, every shape and style. One of my absolute favorites though is a Buck 271 Alpha Dorado folder.

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-D...4792528&sr=8-1&keywords=buck+271+alpha+dorado

Depending on your preference and dress style, it could be a bit hefty for pocket carry, but it finds itself in my jeans pockets quite often, when I'm not wearing it in the half moon sheath it comes with. When I'm wearing shorts or lighter weight pants, I go with something lighter. I lost one a year or so ago, and had to replace it. I missed too much. It is a Buck USA made, has a really pretty rosewood handle, and holds a pretty nice edge. Less than $75.

My daily carry is a Spyderco Endura with a plain (non-serrated) edge. It fits my hand remarkably well (much better than the smaller Delica), and I prefer the round hole opener to an oblong hole or thumb stud. I tried a Benchmade Griptilian with the round hole, but the smaller hole just didn't suit my tastes. I'm on my fifth version of this knife. The previous four all had the polymer scales; this one is all stainless steel. I think the stainless scales make it less scary-looking than the textured black polymer scales (less "tactical" looking), which--in my view--makes it somewhat more socially acceptable.

First and foremost, I'd look to ergonomics. Make sure it fits your hand, make sure you like the opening mechanism (I like the large round hole, but there's nothing wrong with a stud, small round hole, or oblong hole; it's a matter of personal preference), and consider the locking mechanism. Mine's a traditional lockback, but there is much to recommend an axis lock, ball lock, or liner lock; again, a matter of personal preference. Finally, consider your "audience;" don't carry a big, black, serrated blade to the boardroom, as you'll scare people. This comes behind the personal fit issues, though; nobody wants to use a knife that is cumbersome gets between him and his task. As to my Endura, I've used it to cut everything from food to 2" diameter oil hoses on a 2000 HP radial engine.

Yeah, I like my Spydie. :)

Go to a nice knife store and handle some.
Tim is slower then molasses at updating you guys or maybe it is because his hands are all cut up from opening and closing his knives....yes, he has purchased multiple.

I'll harangue to update you guys and post some pics.

Well, so begins the latest chapter of "What's Tim collecting now".......:w00t:. So many knives to choose from, I settled on a couple of SOG Twitch (XL & Twitch II), plus I figured if I was getting free shipping anyway, I should throw in a key chain too! I'm already eyeing up a few Kershaws, but I think I'll let my "paper-cuts" heal first.....:lol:

$DSCF3994.jpg

The SOG Twitch 2 is an excellent knife. If you want to look a little further, you could check out the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian and the Spyderco Delica 4. I own many knives and in my opinion Sypderco makes of the most rugged production knives out there. They are tough as nails.

Top Bottom