What's new

looking for suggestions on a nice folding knife

So many choices there ...

I mostly have a Laguiole knife (A FdL or a 1980's Rossignol) in my pocket. But I never have to use it for heavy duty tasks.

Ok I'm going to stir the pot a bit. My daily carry is a Leatherman Surge in a belt sheath. It is a bit heavy but I am a bit of a boy scout and always want to be prepared. That being said I have an Opinel #8 from my father in law that I carry when I dress up because its nicer. Just food for thought.

A classic victorinox works just fine for most purposses. Otherwise the also have a line of slightly larger knives that is a dream to use.

+1 on Kershaw
I've got two and love them. The Speed Safe opening is so rugged and easy to use.

They have a nice edge that I mucked one up but brought it back to factory or better with my new Gatco sharpening system (like the Lansky).

For the price, I am very impressed. Mine are just cheapo $40-60 ones, made in China but love them. I actually paid less as they were on sale or Massdrop.

I've carried this tiny Case for many years $image.jpg

Since 2003, this is my weekend and camping companion
$1670blk_profile_616x235__630x240.png

Ken Onion Vapor. Inexpensive, good quality, lock blade, all metal ( I just boil to clean after a trip), slim. For me, covers all the bases.

Ontario rat 1 is a fine budget knife that is tough. Aus 8 steel is easy to sharpen and takes a very nice edge, edge holding is better than most in its price range. Seen one go through 2 tours of duty in Iraq and still the mans edc..

There's an old man in England still making traditional slip joint knives. He's old and won't be around forever and when he's gone his knives will be gone. He makes cheap user knives and finds the idea of high end knives amusing, Use em till they're broke them buy another is his thinking. They're made of a fairly soft carbon steel which can be sharpened easy and quick on the go. A flat rock will do the job.

His name is Trevor Ablett.

Here's one link. There's more distributors around but I've used these guys and been happy. http://www.sheffield-gb.com/Sheffie...or_Abl/sheffield_knives_by_trevor_ablett.html

proxy.php

I used to carry one of the small to mid sized two or three blade Case Knives. About 20 years ago I discovered Benchmade, that I can open with only one hand. Downside is that they only have one blade, but excellent steel.

Top Bottom