What's new

My Bluebeards Revenge Shavette journey

One razor, one blade brand, one brush, one cream.

Now I know what needs to be done but how to find self control not to rotate between all my razors and soaps etc.. :):):)

I hear you. I had a great first shave with the shavette today, which turned up yesterday. It exceeded my expectations in sharpness! Then I spent this evening taking my TI straight to my coticule, doing my best to max out the sharpness on it. I was planning on using the shavette again tomorrow, but now I'm curious to see if I produced a worthwhile edge on the TI...

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I went through about 4 or 5 of the bloodthirsty beasts we call shavettes before things kicked in for me. See, my stubbornness (SWMBO calls it something else :001_rolle) finally paid off!

I felt pretty hopeless when I first tried shavettes. I spent my share of time explaining that I wasn't in a sword fight or hadn't been captured by pirates.

Stick with it you will be very satisfied. I use the shavette almost exclusively now and get terrific shaves.

Funny how I never cut myself with it.. Well except finger once when removing the blade with soapy hands tsk tsk tsk... Just get razor burn and/or uncomfortable shave.

I need to persist although I like my straight razor more. Too bad I need a new edge on it. It was too big a challenge to learn to shave and strop at the same time. :)

Looks like I'll be jointing this thread, just received my BR shavette and tried it for the first time this morning with a Polsilver blade!

I've never tried a straight edge before, so this was my first experience. I did both cheeks and half way down the neck while pulling the skin, did a small portion of the neck center, even touched up the sideburns. I'm right handed but seemed to be able to switch hands to do the left side with little trouble, found it ackward to get the proper angle but doable. Luckly, no cuts, no nicks but due to my time limit at 5:30am and not to press my luck, I relathered and finished the shave with a DE.

I'll have to dedicate a bigger time slot on the next shave, which I hope to do a complete shave!

Question, have you guys found the spine curvature, where your fingers are placed slightly uncomfortable? The curvature in that section stops on almost a 90 degree angle, instead of having a rounded off corner (like a true straight edge) and it bothers my finger, since it's not smooth, I'm tempted to put the edge on a sander to smooth it out, any thoughts?

Looks like I'll be jointing this thread, just received my BR shavette and tried it for the first time this morning with a Polsilver blade!

I've never tried a straight edge before, so this was my first experience. I did both cheeks and half way down the neck while pulling the skin, did a small portion of the neck center, even touched up the sideburns. I'm right handed but seemed to be able to switch hands to do the left side with little trouble, found it ackward to get the proper angle but doable. Luckly, no cuts, no nicks but due to my time limit at 5:30am and not to press my luck, I relathered and finished the shave with a DE.

I'll have to dedicate a bigger time slot on the next shave, which I hope to do a complete shave!

Question, have you guys found the spine curvature, where your fingers are placed slightly uncomfortable? The curvature in that section stops on almost a 90 degree angle, instead of having a rounded off corner (like a true straight edge) and it bothers my finger, since it's not smooth, I'm tempted to put the edge on a sander to smooth it out, any thoughts?

Welcome to the Bluebeards club and congrats for the first shave with it!

Yes, more time definitely helps. And some commitment to shave with it and not fall back to the familiar straights and DEs. It takes some effort but I'd recommend to learn to use both hands.

The 90 degree angle didn't bother me before but it bothers me now that it caught my attention. Thanks a lot ElektroMike :p If you end up sanding it let us know the outcome with pictures. I am tempted to do the same.

Shave #11

A week back I shaved my circle beard and today I wanted to try a full face shave with shavette just to see how I'd manage the jaw point that has been covered with hair for the past 6 months.

And I wanted to try a new pre-shave prep as well. While I was shaving my head with DE razor, I kept lathering and rinsing my face as well to soften every last hair properly and throughout. And it did make a difference. One WTG and one XTG pass later my result was already very good. My recent discovery of a smooth XTG pass on neck is going NW-SE on both sides and I managed to find an angle with BBR that also deliveres this XTG pass or at least very close.

I tried Bluebeards Revenge blades and they seem to work fine. Are they perhaps repackaged Wilkinson blades? Anyone?

The 90 degree angle didn't bother me before but it bothers me now that it caught my attention. Thanks a lot ElektroMike :p If you end up sanding it let us know the outcome with pictures. I am tempted to do the same.

Hah! It's all about the feel, I could not stand that ridge, 20 seconds later and we have a cozy winner:

$BBR before.jpg
$BBR after.jpg
$BBR after closeup.jpg

Had my first shave with the Bluebeards shavette last night. Gillette Silver Blue blade, palm stropped. Prep was shower, face soap, shave oil, bluebeards cream face lathered with Plisson synthetic, and finished off with the Bluebeards balm. I went WTG and ATG on the face, and ATG and XTG on the neck.

Overall a very good shave for my first attempt.I'd watched a ton of shavette videos so I felt kind of ready, only one tiny knick on my chin. This was actually a really irritation free shave for me, something which has been a bit of a rarity with DE razors of late. I put this down to being able to see the correct blade angle more easily than with a DE.

I think I am a convert!

Top Bottom