What's new

Has anyone had experience with Valobra soaps?

I've been using Valobra stick for years and it is a great performer.

The pucks are also great. Here are my results with Fougere.

$ValobraFougere.jpg

I've been using Valobra stick for years and it is a great performer.

The pucks are also great. Here are my results with Fougere.

View attachment 550522

I still can't believe that I was using such inferior (IMO) soaps for so many years, so I think I'll stick to these tallow-based ones for a while. I don't even need to add glycerine anymore, which is really nice. Before I went to West Coast Shaving, I thought I wanted Fougere, but I decided on Patchouli because the scent was much stronger. Since then I have thought about the stick as well, but will probably buy Fougere next time, just so I can have another container

I used the Valobra Patchouli puck and loved the scent & loved the performance. I was that impressed I ordered the Cologne straight after....

Yesterday I used for the first time my Valobra patchouli hard soap in the plastic tub and it AMAZED me. The lather is thick, slick and lasts noticeably longer on my face than any other before. I was so impressed that I decided that I want to buy it again when this current puck runs out, but I'm gutted that they don't sell it by the loose puck. I already like the one that I have so much that I have considered trying one of the soft shave cream soaps that they sell by the brick, but I need some advice/input first, as I have never used any creams or soft soaps. Has anyone used both their hard and soft soaps before? If so, how do they compare to each other? If you have only used the soft ones, how is the lather? Since I've never used a soft soap or cream before, I'm also concerned about how long a 150g brick would last...

...What a disappointment! I too found the scent lacking. I was actually thinking of contacting the vendor to ask if there was a mix-up and I had been received the unscented version!

I have the Valobra Cologne hard soap. Was disappointed with the scent, or lack of, but the performance is great.

This thread has piqued my interest. I'm tempted to reorder the Patchouli and maybe take a gamble on the Fougere also (Connaughts have an offer; 2 soaps for 30GBP).

I currently have a Cologne puck and both of the soft soaps, as well as a substantial supply of the AoS Sandalwood tallow-based soap formerly made by Valobra. They are all excellent performing soaps. All the scents are on the light side and the menthol soft soap has only the slightest hint of menthol. The tallow scent of the hard soaps isn't far below the surface.

If I had to choose one, I have a slight preference for the hard soaps. Fortunately that is not the case and I can continue to use all of them.

--Bob

I have the Patchouli shaving soap and it is excellent, the plastic bowl is a bit on the cheap side so I varnished an old Kent bowl I had and put the soap in that. Reading the comments on the scents being very light I am glad I got the Patchouli soap, the Patchouli soap is not that strongly scented so the others must be very lightly scented

Good to hear this, I have some Valobra coming. Really cant wait to try this soap now. The sticks are the same as the pucks arent they? Just different shapes?

Good to hear this, I have some Valobra coming. Really cant wait to try this soap now. The sticks are the same as the pucks arent they? Just different shapes?

That is usually the case but I don't know if this is 100% true across the entire spectrum.

That is usually the case but I don't know if this is 100% true across the entire spectrum.

Copied and pasted from the Valobra website:

"New! The classic Valobra Stick made in round shape with its handy and elegant jar. Double weight for extra long lasting. As all Valobra special soaps with lecithin and vitamins it is extremely delicate on very sensitive skin. In four fragrances: Fougere, Cologne, Patchouly and Unscented. For a super comfortable shave, to be used with a gentlemans shaving brush."

According to the company itself, the puck is the same as the stick, just in a different shape with its own container. It doesn't say anything about the soft ones being the same, but I will surely try those when it's time to buy more...

I've used both the hard (stick/puck) and soft soaps. I love both.

Hard soap is a bit more protective (better cushion). Old AoS sandalwood version is my fav scent.

Soft soap gives me closer shaves. It is also slicker and just a tad easier to lather - as are all soft soaps. Of the 2 scents - I prefer the menthol (allergic to Almond).

These are very underrated soaps - esp the soft-soaps - which get no attention these days.

Valobra hard soaps are amazing, definitely in my top tier.

I find the shave stick very closely matches the Fougere in scent profile. So if you have tried the stick the fougere puck won't be a "new" scent profile for you.

I also have the cologne and find that I can't pick up any scent other than the natural scent if this soap formula (not surprisingly it's also very similar to the stick and Fougere).

These pucks are about $30 once you factor in shipping here in Canada, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, nor would I be disappointed if Valobra hard soap was the only soap available (well I would be actually, but you get the point).

The soft soap formula is still on my "want" list and will likely be what I use to replace my little red tub of cella with (I'll buy the kilo of cella next time).

So in summary, you likely won't get a puck of Valobra hard soap and be wowed by the scent, but the performance is top shelf and should provide an easy, thick, creamy lather for you in various water conditions. I highly recommend.

I like Valobra soaps very much, in fact consider the much-praised Cella a mere substitute, not more.

Valobra comes in a variety of forms semi-hard soap (menthol and almond), hard soap in four scents (Neutral, Fougère, Colonia, Patchouly) and shaving stick.

The hard soap in fours scents does not seem to have arrived on US shores yet, but that should only be a question of time.

All Valobra soaps are produced according to the traditional (Marseille) method, similar to Martin de Cande. Hence scents are a all subdued, typical for most of the soaps that are made this way.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
West coast shaving and Bullgoose both carry the hard soaps as does Italian Barber.

Cheers, Steve

My understanding is that Valobra makes the Cziech and Speakes, has anyone tried both ? Is the C&S better and if so why ?

Both and C&S and the old tallow AOS are/were made by Valobra in Italy. I've used all three and the current Valobra puck are just as good as the other two.

My personal favorite is C&S Oxford and Cambridge.
$CZOC.jpg

AOS old formula on top. Image by texaninkc.
View attachment 551015

Valobra Unscented.
$valobraunscenteding.jpg

Puck size comparison from left: AOS (tallow), Valobra, and Czech&Speake.
$bowl.jpg

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Not much difference IMO, but my favorite is also C&S Oxford and Cambridge. O&C smells like what a man's shaving soap should smell like.

Cheers, Steve

The hard soap in fours scents does not seem to have arrived on US shores yet, but that should only be a question of time.

West coast shaving and Bullgoose both carry the hard soaps as does Italian Barber.

Cheers, Steve

They most definitely are here in USA. I took a bus for almost 3 hours last week just to go to West Coast Shaving and smell it all in person, walking out with the Patchouly hard puck in the plastic tub as my only purchase . I will have no problem doing that again.

Top Bottom