What's new

A way newb question

So as a kid for short period I had a journal and enjoyed it. I'm now 26 and growing up and watching my son who's one grow up. I am feeling an importance to keep a journal and document my life as a father and a husband. Any advice anyone could give me to get started? I'd like a nice leather journal but not going to kill the bank... I have diapers to buy. Also I know nothing about nibs but would be willing to give it a shot as long as again it wont break the bank.

West Coast Shaving still has the A5 B&B leather journal for $62. The A6 is sold out; however, you can buy a non-B&B A6 journal from Franklin-Christoph for $49.50.

If those prices are over your budget, you could also just buy the hardbound Franklin-Christoph notebooks that go inside the leather cover.

In regards to pens, Pilot Metropolitan for around $15 and Lamy Safari for around $25 are both good inexpensive options.

pm sent to cognati crotty

kansaskyle... thanks for putting me in a good direction. Now I have some stuff to google

I can second the Franklin-Cristoph notebooks. You can get started pretty inexpensively with top-notch products from their "Stock Room" selections! I've got 2 of their notebooks that I use everyday to good affect! Check out Stock Room 3 for some of their "seconds" notebooks. They have minor, mostly unnoticeable to anyone but themselves, flaws.

I like using the Rhodia Webnotebooks, the paper is FP friendly.

http://www.amazon.com/Rhodia-Black-...1424378985&sr=8-1&keywords=rhodia+webnotebook

I have a journal for daily stuff and a journal dedicated to my daughter (who is 5). In her journal I list accomplishments, funny things, Dad-isms (Alright, take the socks off your hands and lets go potty!), etc. It's nice to be able to flip back through the entries and read about something I found interesting at the time, but probably would never recall if I hadn't written it down.

Wow already learning so much. I had no idea about the differences in paper and pens. Ill be buying my first nib after payday next week. Hopefully one pen will suffice

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm now 26 and growing up and watching my son who's one grow up. I am feeling an importance to keep a journal and document my life as a father and a husband. Any advice anyone could give me to get started?

Advice? Spend a lot more time with your son than your pen and journal!

^ +1, but it would be cool to write a line or two to document the day after he's in bed. I'm sure he'd treasure reading that one day.

-Andy

As recommended above I am considering buying this kit http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Founta...424453877&sr=8-1&keywords=parker+fountain+pen

I like the idea of the cartridges as I sense a big MESS with the ink. But upon reading reviews on other pens and ink some people are mentioning that Writing a check with certain set-ups is not recommended. Could I write a check with this set up?

If not could someone recommend a different pen? Or ink cartridges that would be okay to fill out important documents with?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
The Parker Quink ink included in that set (both cartridges and the bottled ink) is a decent, well-performing black ink. However, it is not waterproof, and probably not tamper-proof. If that is an issue with you for checks and documents, then I would suggest a waterproof and bulletproof ink such as Noodler's Black for added security. There are other inks and colors that would also be acceptable, but most are only available as bottles, not cartridges.

So according to Amazon my first fountain pen should arrive today. Yesterday I ran to Target and bought some nicer quality paper in anticipation. Grabbed a regular ball point and sat down and re-visited my cursive that I was taught in elementary. I can't wait to get this pen in.

It's first order of business will be to draft a letter to my grandmother who lives in Montana so I can send her some pictures of her Great-Grandson as well. Since she doesn't own a computer I always draft letters to her but I am hoping this one will come as a suprise being written in cursive. The anticiaption at work is killing me!

cvargo - congrats on your first pen and getting excited about it!

Just like wet shaving makes shaving fun, fountain pens make writing fun! At least for a geek like me!

$uploadfromtaptalk1425138522473.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1425138557065.jpg

Got it all in and I love it. Don't laugh at my handwriting.

Got it all in and I love it. Don't laugh at my handwriting.

Woo hoo - glad yours arrived!

I think your handwriting is legible. I haven't written in cursive in so long I doubt I could even form all the characters without looking at an example.

Top Bottom