What's new

How do you prepare a flake?

How do you prepare your flakes?

• Fold and stuff

• Rub it out

• Z-Pack

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I fold and stuff although I think the baccy smokes better for me rubed out.
But who's got time to rub out their baccy? Not I!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I tried some rubbed out Capstan this afternoon, and it didn't seem to make a difference. This evening I tried the z pack with some Erinmore. That also didn't seem to make a difference. I haven't tried cube cut yet.

I find that when I break up a flake A. it's annoying B. the flavors are sharper and tends to burn hotter.

Let's just start by saying pizza was championed by Italians and they eat it with a knife and fork. :). Generally. :)

Back to reality: For me, my bowls are usually smaller so I will peel about a third off a flake. This amount is good for me as I like a looser packed bowl. I find it smokes better when not so tight. Fold it twice lengthwise into thirds, a gentle rub to expose some "kindling" and allow for some oxygen to promote burning, stuff her into the bowl and as Andrew says, rub a bit of loose bits on the top to get her started. That's pretty much my standard.

I find that when I break up a flake A. it's annoying B. the flavors are sharper and tends to burn hotter.

B. Is true. You have to go slow on a broken flake, particularly Virginias. I'm personally happy with that as I like to go slow. Re: A. I like the ceremony. :)

I typically rub it out. However I am a fan of the old Mac Baren fold. I think I get a fuller flavor from rubbing the tobacco out. It's all about air flow. Too much and it gets too hot, not enough and it goes out.

I Z-Pack and but tend to rub out some outlying strands of the flake to sprinkle over the top as kindling to get everything started.

Used one of those paint-scraping razors to cube it up and definitely had less trouble. I think I cubed it too small though because the draw was weak and I didn't even pack it, just dropped it in.

Usually it's half a rub out. Just enough to separate the flake without rolling up the ribbons, then I stuff it. Fold and stuff works sometimes for me and I've tried the Z, but I have not tried the cube method. Will give it a go now that I've heard of it. You always learn something here. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom