What's new

White dog - who loves it?

One of the highlights of my Bourbon Trail trip with my wife a few years ago was tasting Buffalo Trace's white dog. It's like liquid buttered popcorn, and it's beyond delicious. I've seen it starting to make an appearance on the shelves at my local liquor stores, but I've yet to buy a bottle.

Anybody else like it? Anybody got a good recommendation? I don't think Buffalo Trace sells theirs - you have to taste it at the distillery.

Actually, I think BT does sell theirs, perhaps just not where you live. I've seen it on shelves in KY quite a bit. They have different versions of it as well.

I think of it as essentially moonshine. It's not bad, but not sure I'd want it every day. :)

It's a great business ploy. Charge the same (or sometimes higher) price for a lower cost product. Personally, I prefer to save a few bucks and have them spend the time and money properly aging the stuff before I buy it.

It's a great business ploy. Charge the same (or sometimes higher) price for a lower cost product. Personally, I prefer to save a few bucks and have them spend the time and money properly aging the stuff before I buy it.

You know, I never thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right. I have to ask though - have you tried it? It tastes totally different from the finished product and very flavorful in its own way.

I really enjoy White Dog and they do have three types, Rye,Wheat, And one they call Mash#1, if you enjoy moonshine then the taste of these will be enjoyable.

Have to say, I agree with the 'not a fan' votes. I've tried several new makes at several distilleries and I much prefer the aged spirits over the freshies. There are probably some good cocktail recipes for white dog out there, but since I usually drink my whiskey neat or with a single cube (and consider an Old Fashioned or a Manahttan 'exotic') I'll stick with what's been working for me for the last 30 years or so.

:thumbup:

Top Bottom