What's new

Pipe stem replacement advice

Question to the brain trust here. I need to replace broken or missing stems on a few pipes I had picked up. Should I try this myself? I don't have a lathe, at least not yet. Should I forget attempting it myself and send it to a pro. If so, who would you recommend?

I just sent my Barling Cherrywood to Walker pipe repair to be fitted with a new stem.
I purchased the pipe as an estate pipe and the original stem apparently had been over sanded and the airway started to surface though the top of the stem.

Some disorganized thoughts...

On eBay you can get a grab bag of stems. I got a lot of 7 new old stock stems for $6 shipped. It's a gamble but you're likely to find something that will fit with a little careful sanding.

Use this as an excuse to buy a lathe.

Sending it to a pro is surprisingly inexpensive. I was googling something recently and ended up seeing pipe repair prices at a few shops, new stems were $10 to $20 I think.

For some popular pipes you might be able to just name the pipe to Walker Briar Works or another company known for stems and they could do it.

Thanks for the feedback. Depending on the price, I may tackle some of this myself. I have about 11 pipes I've picked up at fleas and lots on ebay. I'm going to try a Custom-Bilt first. Just shot off an email with pics to Walker to see what they say. Walker was my first choice, as I had purchased from them before.

I'll echo the Alpster choice. He did a stem for a Blatter Bros pipe (thank you Eric) and it's great.

Boswell's is also another option. Doing it yourself is possible but it's gonna take a lot of time and may not deliver a product that you enjoy as much as a professionally hand cut one.

Question to the brain trust here. I need to replace broken or missing stems on a few pipes I had picked up. Should I try this myself? I don't have a lathe, at least not yet. Should I forget attempting it myself and send it to a pro. If so, who would you recommend?

Many good names have already been mentioned. I personally have used Mark Tinsky and Howard Schulte. Howard is especially good choice if you need a Charatan replacement stem, he can do the stamp and everything. I also believe he is an authorized Dunhill repairman.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Been looking at lathes yesterday and today trying to justify a buy. Still debating what to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Been looking at lathes yesterday and today trying to justify a buy. Still debating what to do.

If you get the lathe you can make us all new stems! Even at $5 a stem it'll be paid off in weeks! (See what I did there?!) :)

If you get the lathe you can make us all new stems! Even at $5 a stem it'll be paid off in weeks! (See what I did there?!) :)
Hey, not a bad idea. Now if I can just get my wife to see it that way...

Seriously, I took a stem from one of the pipes in the lot I bought and pretty much worked it to fit. I know, pics or it didn't happen. I have some before shots and I need to get everything finished and I'll post the before and after shots.

I decided to give it a go myself. I found a stem that came in a pipe lot I got that looked pretty good. It was a little lose, but heating and pushing the tenon on a flat surface cured that. I played around with the oxidation on the stem and was able to get it in pretty good shape by hand. The bit end was still not fully relieved of tooth marks, so for now I put on a soft bit. the stem is way shinier than the pic shows. iPad camera and insufficient lighting. Also, this Custom-Bilt was in need of a minor restore and I tried my hand at that. Still thinkng about the lathe, though.

Before
$image.jpg$image.jpg

After
$image.jpg$image.jpg

Top Bottom