What's new

What recipe have you made from the Mess Hall?

I made some chicken noodle/veg soup from stock (boiled bones) that I am still having difficulty coming to grips with a few hours after finishing.

I am still moaning and smacking lips

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The mess hall has encouraged me to make many enjoyable meals including things I would not have tried otherwise, improvements to existing favourites, techniques, equipment etc.

The mutual helpfulness that is found all across Badger & Blade is certainly found in very large amounts in the Mess Hall.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The mess hall has encouraged me to make many enjoyable meals including things I would not have tried otherwise, improvements to existing favourites, techniques, equipment etc.

The mutual helpfulness that is found all across Badger & Blade is certainly found in very large amounts in the Mess Hall.

I know it seems sometimes we sound like a bunch of church ladies at the quilting bee, gossiping and exchanging recipes. I'm in.

I've made Luc's Cochinita Pibil-Puerco Pibil a few times. I have a batch of Sauerkraut from Jim's thread in the fridge and it's excellent. I've done a few variations of gravy, or pasta sauce. I've gotten a lot of really good advice on BBQ and cooking in general.

I (just) made Aaron's chili recipe. A few years ago, Ouch posted his pancake recipe -- which is now known in my house as "Ouch Pancakes." Several chicken wing recipes, BBQ rubs and sauces. Of course, beyond the actual recipes is the inspiration and ideas from other recipes that I've tweaked or combined with my own recipes.

I'm glad so many people liked the Red Lentil Dal -- I wish I could say I invented it -- I found it somewhere, tried it and was glad to share it.

BTW
Who "manages" the recipe wiki? Can it be freely edited by all members or is there an approval process? I noticed there seem to be several popular, recent recipes missing -- for instance Aaron's chili and the Red Lentil Dal.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I (just) made Aaron's chili recipe. A few years ago, Ouch posted his pancake recipe -- which is now known in my house as "Ouch Pancakes." Several chicken wing recipes, BBQ rubs and sauces. Of course, beyond the actual recipes is the inspiration and ideas from other recipes that I've tweaked or combined with my own recipes.

I'm glad so many people liked the Red Lentil Dal -- I wish I could say I invented it -- I found it somewhere, tried it and was glad to share it.

BTW
Who "manages" the recipe wiki? Can it be freely edited by all members or is there an approval process? I noticed there seem to be several popular, recent recipes missing -- for instance Aaron's chili and the Red Lentil Dal.

The Red Lentil Dal will always be a recipe in my rotation. I just bought some more red lentil's yesterday for another round next week. As for the WikiRecipe area, I believe you can post recipes there if you want. I've edited(but not posted) all my recipes that are in the wiki. I think Jessy posted them for me in the wiki. Send him a PM.

I copy them over whenever have a few free minutes. It would take ages to get all the great recipes here listed, but I can give anyone pointers if they'd like.

Micks stewed chicken, a bunch of times. My wife and I love it.

Glad you are enjoying it. I've turned a LOT of folks onto that recipe. Makes a LOT (if you need to or enough for 2) and it is a snap (no brainier) to prepare (toss it in, walk away, BUT don't burn it).

I cooked this when I was out visiting my sister when her son, wife and family came over for dinner (my sister's son and wife have 1 daughter and 8 foster girls they care for so there were 15 for dinner that evening). Everyone was enamored with "Mick's Stewed Chick" It was a real hit and now it is a "regular" for them.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

BTW

I think we would all like to see that Ouch Pancake recipe.

The Red Lentil Dal will always be a recipe in my rotation. I just bought some more red lentil's yesterday for another round next week. As for the WikiRecipe area, I believe you can post recipes there if you want. I've edited(but not posted) all my recipes that are in the wiki. I think Jessy posted them for me in the wiki. Send him a PM.

I changed it up last night. I made the standard Red Lentil Dal, and then added a couple of sliced grilled chicken breasts and a cup or two of frozen "oriental" vegetable mix (broccoli, onions, peppers, mushrooms, greenbeans, etc). So it came out as a kind of stirfry fusion.
Came out freakin delicious! Was a nice one-pot meal with lots of leftovers too.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I changed it up last night. I made the standard Red Lentil Dal, and then added a couple of sliced grilled chicken breasts and a cup or two of frozen "oriental" vegetable mix (broccoli, onions, peppers, mushrooms, greenbeans, etc). So it came out as a kind of stirfry fusion.

Sounds really good. I bet pictures would have made them taste better.:tongue_sm

Actually you are on to something with this recipe. I plan on searing two thighs and two leg bones in a hot cast iron grill, both sides. Then move them to the pot of Lentils for braising and to finish cooking. Or, for that matter any meat you could braise in the lentil soup liquid. Low and slow though or it might burn. The oven would help cure that.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Sounds like a great addition. I like the Oriental vegetable mix (sans mushrooms)

Top Bottom