What's new

What recipe have you made from the Mess Hall?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've learned a lot from you guys. Everything from pink salt to sous vide recipes. The corn bread recipes are great. Even the Indian food recipes I've tried from here. The kitchen gadgets and hardware info has been very valuable.

Thanks guys. :thumbup1:

What recipe, technique or cookware have you learned about from the Mess Hall and given it a try?

Or, what do you want to try?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Some of Jim's bbq sauce recipes were easy to make winners.

This could be a long thread.

I've made Texas Red and Jim's Red Lentil Dal. Both are amazing. Eddculus posted a recipe for Pumpkin Ravioli (if I remember correctly) that I want to try.

The Mess Hall is great not just for recipes but for generating ideas and cooking concepts. I've learned a quite a bit here, and as with the rest of B&B, the folks who post here are first-class.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
+1 Yeah, Jim's Red Lentil Dal is a new favorite in my house. The thing I want to try is a reverse sear technique on a steak.

I've added a lot of equipment to my stockpile thanks--at least in part to--the wise folks, here. Everything from stoneware crocks for sauerkraut, to Debuyer pans, to cast iron, to a BGE, to carbon steel knives, to an end-grain cutting board, to a meat grinder.

On the food side, I've already mentioned sauerkraut, also smoked brisket, smoked pork butts, and sausage.

If I wasn't directly inspired by the Mess Hall discussions, I certainly consulted the forum before making a move.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It doesn't even have to be an entire recipe. Sometimes the best advice is just a little tidbit of information or the suggestion of an added ingredient, eg: a bit of anchovy added to linguini and clam sauce for a bit of Italian Umami. (I'd tell you who told me that, but I don't want to turn this thread into a Jim love fest.)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The fatty is still on my list of to-do's. Seeing Bruce and Chris make those brought tears to my eyes.

Oh, I have a birthday coming up in May, so guess what I'm asking for? Yep, you guessed it, a Japanese Chef's knife. I've read a lot about them here, so I'm almost fully "enabled" to make an educated selection. :shuriken::ninja::shuriken:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have made your Texas Red Chili several times, and adapted tinashubby's habanero sauce recipe. I have gotten ideas here, like what would be good things to marinate a rack of lamb in. Oh, I have also made verbolent's (I think) cast iron corn bread. Jim's dahl recipe has been mentioned several times- we may need a link.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks Aaron. I might try that with some chicken.

Get some chicken thighs. Sear them both sides in your cast iron skillet. Then throw them into the pot with the Red Lentil Dal that's bubbling on the stove for a braise and to finish cooking.

Top Bottom