What's new

Daily Brush Cleaning Question

When cleaning your badger hair brush after regular usage (shaving), do you let water from the faucet go DIRECTLY down into the knot? (holding the brush by the handle, bristles straight up toward ceiling, water cascading directly down into knot, essentially going against the bristles) It seems kind of harsh on the brush (not at high pressure, but medium to low pressure)… but also seems to really get into the innards for direct and quick flushing of soap remnants. I wonder if it is hard on the hairs though… any thoughts out there?

When cleaning your badger hair brush after regular usage (shaving), do you let water from the faucet go DIRECTLY down into the knot? (holding the brush by the handle, bristles straight up toward ceiling, water cascading directly down into knot, essentially going against the bristles) It seems kind of harsh on the brush (not at high pressure, but medium to low pressure)… but also seems to really get into the innards for direct and quick flushing of soap remnants. I wonder if it is hard on the hairs though… any thoughts out there?
It's what I do. My brush (EJ Best large) holds a LOT of lather and that's needed to get all that out. I can't imagine water flow like that being bad for the brush.

+1 I do that but then turn it with the bristles pointing down to finish. I also fling it dry and then towel dry it.

Hold your hand around the bristles making an OK with thumb and first finger touching creating a circle around the bristles THEN run water into the contained knot.

This will keep the knot from spreading and flaying out.

Hold your hand around the bristles making an OK with thumb and first finger touching creating a circle around the bristles THEN run water into the contained knot.

This is what I do. Then I turn it with the bristles pointing down for further rinsing.

I rinse my brush in a small cup. It may not matter to the brush, but the cup makes it easier to see whether or not there is still soap in the brush.

I agree with mblakele. Except I use my lather bowl which gets cleaned at the same time.

When the water in the bowl is perfectly clear ( 2 to 3 refills ) I am satisfied that the brush is clean,

Then the squeeze ( do not twist ), shake and towel.

I hang it bristles down.

Mickey

I wash my razors from the side with warm water. I gently squeeze the brush under the water to be sure all of the lather has been removed.

I have a simpsons CH3 that takes a whole lot of cleaning to get the lather out.
I shave in the shower, so my rinsing and cleaning also happen in the shower.

First I gently squeeze to extract a lot of the lather that is still in the brush.

Then I make swirls (like loading soap essentially) against my shower head (lowish pressure, if it was high pressure I wouldn't do this) for a bit, gently squeeze the brush, repeat until the runoff is clear without soapy looking bubbles.

I agree with mblakele. Except I use my lather bowl which gets cleaned at the same time.

When the water in the bowl is perfectly clear ( 2 to 3 refills ) I am satisfied that the brush is clean,

Then the squeeze ( do not twist ), shake and towel.

I hang it bristles down.

Mickey

+1. This is what I do.

I hold my brush bristles-down under running water. Squeeze and re-rinse as needed. Dry a little on my bath towel and then hand bristles-down to dry.

That is what I do too.

Wow - thanks to all the gents who took the time to reply to my brush inquiry. Outstanding info here - thanks again, shaving gurus/hipsters/ninjas!

Top Bottom