What's new

Delayed Foreign Transaction Fees - Martin De Candre - Just a heads up

Good morning gents,

I just wanted to give a heads up to those of you who either have or who are considering ordering Martin De Candre products directly from the source. No, this is NOT an alert and in NO way anything negative. It's just - as the title states - a heads up.

I had ordered the Martin De Candre Fougere and Scented soaps a month ago straight from the source. The products were received expeditiously along with the package containing several sample freebies. Nothing but impressed and pleased with what I received.

Fast forward literally a month later, in reviewing all my cards online (which should be zero), I noticed a rather small/almost insignificant amount on my card? I had no clue what it was as it only read 'Foreign Transaction Fee'. Foreign Transaction Fee? I was like, what's that? So long story short, I engaged in a chat with the bank online and they told me that it was an impending fee resulting from my Martin De Candre order over a month ago. I was like.......okay?

The monies involved aren't going to break the bank as that's not even remotely the point here. Just wanted to give someone a possible heads up in the event that they, too, saw a similar charge on their statement and were curious as to its origin. Had I not had a zero balance, the amount involved could have easily gone unnoticed if grouped in with a host of other charges, carry over balances, etc.

Lastly: To those of you who do lots of business with overseas vendors, is this type of 'Foreign Transaction Fee' the norm; in mean in terms of the month delay separate and apart from the original bill of sale? It just seemed odd to me. But again, I don't have enough experience with this to make any determination either way.

Thanks for the tip. The only international order I've placed recently was for an Edwin Jagger brush from Connaught. So far, I haven't noticed any fees of this sort but I'll certainly keep an eye out.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
When you change from one currency to another (USD->EUR) there is going to be a separate fee if you use a credit card, PayPal charges you immediately.

The length of delay is probably up to your bank, mine come quickly.

It's not a fee charged by the vendor. It's a fee charged by your bank for processing your payment in a different currency.

I've seen it on my credit cards when I've ordered from MdC and also from Shaving.ie.

When you change from one currency to another (USD->EUR) there is going to be a separate fee if you use a credit card, PayPal charges you immediately.

The length of delay is probably up to your bank, mine come quickly.
Yeah, I'm aware of such. I just thought it odd that it took well over a month after the fact to post is all.

It is a very normal occurrence and is the reason why I use ATMs and cash when traveling abroad (my bank credits ATM fees). I believe there are cards that have no transaction fees, I believe American Express may be one, but the fees are usually in the .5-1.5% range so it really is insignificant when making these small purchases.

I also get a (delayed as well) fee like this for my Skype subscription...although now that I think about it, since Skype is now owned by Microsoft, why I am being charged a foreign transaction fee? Hmmm...need to check that out.

It's not a fee charged by the vendor. It's a fee charged by your bank for processing your payment in a different currency.
This!
It has nothing to do with the vendor.
I get fee charges on my credit cards whenever I purchase goods and services offered in other currency than CAD.

An mentioned, the fee is charged by the credit card company/bank but not always. Specific credit cards (usually ones aimed at travel) do not charge foreign transaction fees. It's worth taking a look to see if your credit card has this perk as the fee (~3%) can really add up if you purchase frequently from overseas.

It's typical. Having worked for Discover Card, I can tell you that we marketed the "no foreign transaction fees" heavily. Our card members were both surprised and elated by this.

Yup, in Amex land only Platinum has no foreign transaction fee.

I travel a lot to Europe and use Chase Sapphire to avoid fees.

+1 for sapphire and FTF.

....Side note, when in another country the MOST cost effective way of getting local currency is with your debit card while IN COUNTRY. You get 'bank rate' which is very close to market rate without any added 'fees' and/or terrible rate that you get from a money conversion desk OR your neighborhood US bank.

Just make sure your're using an ATM of a reputable stand alone bank and you'll be fine (eg, not one of those shady ATMs at the 'gentlemen's club' type deal). I usually ask my hotel where's the nearest major bank and get money from there.

I normally use a bank debit type card for these tansaction. The bank charges a fee normally a few weeks later.

The one I really dislike is UPS (not postal USPS). They will charge a fee months later calling it 'customs' when none is owed. That is just to increase their profits. So I refuse to deal with foreign companies that ship UPS. I verifed this with US Customs and they agree about UPS. Just a ripoff in over 90% of the charges. One company finally dropped them and saw customer satisfaction increase and their sales. Just an fyi.

Amex Delta Gold does not get the fee either. I am out of the country frequently for work, in Paris last week as a matter of fact. One thing with using Amex abroad or on international vendors websites (or in person), it's not common to find places that take it. Usually int'l hotel brands and such will but I've been to so many small shops and restaurants that just don't accept Amex or Discover.

AMEX.... only the most expensive credit card to be accepted by vendors (their fees to the vendors are the highest between VISA, MC, and AMEX). No wonder they have extra fees, the vendors are obviously not paying enough.

I have never seen these fees from my VISA or MasterCard. Maybe you should consider using another provider? Anyone see these fees on VISA or MC?

As for UPS, unless you are at home during the day, I find their service horrible since they keep the package for up to 3 days before you can pick it up ~20 minutes away by car. The brokerage and disbursement fees are also a rip off, I even tried to pay them before they delivered and they refused, so I refuse to pay disbursement fees. It is just a bad shipping company in my opinion that should be avoided by all means necessary.

Top Bottom