What's new

New Guy Checking In.

I have been lurking for weeks now and yesterday made my first purchase. I have coming a TWSBI Diamond 580 Fountain Pen - Black with Rose Gold and a Broad Nib..Also ordered a bunch of sample inks and stationary paper by G Lalo Verge de France. Not new to fountain pens. Cut my teeth on a cheap Shaefer in Grade School. And just recently accidentally bent the nib on my lower end Waterman which I had to pitch. I am hoping I made a good choice getting the TWSBI, read a lot of positive reviews. Anyway, just thought I would check in and say hello...

Hello New Guy David and welcome to the Nib! I am pretty new here myself but have been having a great time re-discovering fountain pens. I have a 580AL that is one of my daily carries. Mine has a fine nib, but Santa gave my wife one with a broad nib. She teaches 3rd grade and uses an ink which matches her school color (purple) when grading papers. (you aren't supposed to red anymore around here because you don't want to hurt those little buggers feelings...).

Anyways, neither one of us has had any trouble with the TWSBI 580 but there are quite a few people here that have. The nibs on ours are very smooth and the pens start up right away, however long they have sat around. I like the fact that extra nibs are pretty cheap and easy to come by so I am very glad I picked up one of these pens and I hope you will be too.

Stick around here long enough and you will have your first dozen FP's in no time! Enjoy!

Welcome to The Nib, David John!

Does TWSBI stand for something or is that just the name?

Here's the official answer from the TWSBI website:
TWSBI's name stands for the phrase "Hall of Three Cultures" or "San Wen Tong" in Chinese. The character "Wen" translates into language and culture. The phrase "San Wen Tong" also brings to mind the Hall of the Three Rare Treasures created by Emperor Qianlong as a memorial to three great masterpieces of Chinese calligraphy. The initials of the phrase "San Wen Tong" was reversed and thus turned into "TWS". The last letters "Bi" was added with its literal meaning of "writing instruments". Thus combining the two segments, creating TWSBI.

Clear as mud, right? :lol:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Welcome to the Nib! Let us know how you like your TWSBI 580. And what inks you use. And what paper you use and......

Welcome to The Nib, David.

I have a 580 Clear with a broad nib. It has seen heavy use almost on a daily basis, as i use the Penman Emerald Ink in it for worksheet reviews. I have not had any issues with it despite the usual workaday knocks and all that, and Parker Penman Emerald is not exactly a gentle ink. I hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine. In fact, you may just have piqued my interest in the Black model :001_smile

Thank you all for welcoming me aboard. Email notification that my pen a long with Stationary and Ink Samples had shipped was just received an hour ago, that was quick... With a little luck might receive by weeks end. Got cleaning supplies and more Ink Samples coming in from another Vendor. I have a boatload of Noodlers Ink Samples a long with a couple from Diamine, Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-peki and one from Pelikan Edelstein Aventuriney. Are any of these samples familiar to you? Are they acceptable? Thanks again.

After reviewing threads in this forum I came to the conclusion that the above Ink Samples that I had listed in the above post are all common.

Last edited:
After reviewing threads in this forum I came to the conclusion that the above Ink Samples that I had listed in the above post are all common.
Yeah, they should all be good stuff. That's the nice things about samples; you can try them out, see how you like them, and if not, you're only out a buck or two. Watch out for the Iroshizuku and Pelikan Edelstein inks, though. They can be very dangerous...to your wallet!

Hi New Guy,

Brian likes Parker 51s. So do I. That said, I really enjoy writing with my clear 580 AL. You made a great first purchase choice. Enjoy it.

Top Bottom