What's new

Sobriety is bliss!!

I do not remember the first time I drank. I do not remember the first time I used illegal drugs. It was a long time ago. The party scene was major part of my teenage years and continued into my twenties. The last time an illegal chemical entered my body was February 29 of 2004. Next month will be seven months without a drink. Some look at an admittance of addiction with distain, even contempt. Well, I am an addict.

My reason for posting this on B&B is simple. There are some very good men on here, and I suspect some that have been down the same road as I have. I want to let you know that being a former user is nothing to be ashamed of!! The key word is FORMER; past tense.

You fellas have extended your generosity my way more than once over the past few weeks. For that I am thankful. I would like to pass that on the only way I can. If you are in recovery or are suffering from any form of addiction, PM me. I beat it, so can you.

Moderators, if this is not " appropriate ", I apologize in advance. This is something I feel strongly about though and felt compelled to pass on.

Congratulations on your sobriety! There is nothing to be ashamed of from your past life and we are glad to see you make to this point. I have a parent who suffered from alcohol addiction and I know how hard it can be to beat...so again, Congratulations! I wish you Godspeed in your sobriety journey!

I appreciate your story and your willingness to help others. Thank you for sharing, and congratulations on your accomplishment!

Excellent post! Congratulations on your sobriety. All too often, people get caught up in these things, and feel they can't enjoy life without them. But as I'm sure you've found out by now, life without substances that disturb the clarity/perception of reality is quite often far better. You soon realize that these things were ruining your being and existence, not enhancing them.

I've never been into drinking myself. I can't stand the taste of the alcohol, even in mixed drinks. Always reminded me of vomit. Nor do I care for the feeling. My extent of drinking is an occasional glass or 2 of wine with a nice meal. The only way I can relate to the addiction thing is pop/soda. I couldn't get enough, even though I'm in the nutritional supplement field, and know better. I just cut that out all together last summer. First few days were really difficult, but after that, I was constantly running for the water cooler. I don't miss it in the least bit, now, and am instead going through at LEAST 100 oz of water a day without blinking. I sleep so much better, and have a much more focused energy now.

Let me just say Congratulations on your sobriety! I know that seven months can be a ton of hard work and you should be very pleased with every day you make it real.
I have been on the very same journey you are on for just about 17 years. It does not always get easier but it does get better.
One word to the wise, be careful not to trade one addiction for another....

Have you seen my razor collection these days......:lol::lol::lol:

O heck ya, RAD kicked in bad....thank goodness there was always someone ready to sell me a new razor...:lol:

I think a couple fellows pointed me towards a 12 step program..LOL, little did they know.....

Congrats and enjoy it..."Just for Today"

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
You fellas have extended your generosity my way more than once over the past few weeks. For that I am thankful. I would like to pass that on the only way I can. If you are in recovery or are suffering from any form of addiction, PM me. I beat it, so can you.

Moderators, if this is not " appropriate ", I apologize in advance. This is something I feel strongly about though and felt compelled to pass on.

Extending an offer to help others overcome substance abuse problems can never be deemed inappropriate.

Congratulations on your sobriety.

It takes no small amount of strength and determination to beat Alcoholism. You should be proud.

Keep it up!!!!

Congratulations! That is fantastic!! :001_smile

Beating alcoholism is pretty tough. It's hard to know if your an alcoholic on your own. I would question it at times myself when I used to drink everyday. Fortunatly I have cut back considerably where those days of drinking are few and far between.

Mostly came about that I did not like spending all my money on booze and drugs. Just an occaisonal social drinker anymore and clean on the other stuff for a couple of years now. And I can spend my money on shaving products! :biggrin:

Suffice to say I led a different lifestyle pre-marriage/kids than I'm living now. While I was never at the "intervention" phase, I did have some very reckless times. And I still feel the pull of those "old days" 7 years later.. Unfortunately, I still carry one addiction, and that's food, and though I've had skirmishes and even small battles with other things during parts of my life, the food addiction has been a life-long war. Just when I think I've won, or gained ground, the enemy troops reassemble and attack again. While I'm happy I've left many of my destructive ways behind me, I still think about what I can do to beat this last foe. I wish you best of luck in keeping those addictions in the past, I know it's a constant mental game to replace those old destructive habits with new healthy ones. I know this can apply to any kind of addiction.

Take care, Mason

Fortunately, it's not an area I know anything about. But I admire you for beating the addiction and even more so for your generosity in wanting to help others.

Jeremy

I must give you props, as my students would say. Controlling anything that once controlled you takes incredible will. Great job.

Congratulations on your success. Your offer of support to others is fantastic!
While I have not had the alcohol problem, I did have an addiction to nicotine. I smoked for over twenty years. I finally had to admit to myself that I could not be a casual smoker and the methods available to me at the time would just not work (cutting back, hypnotism, etc.). Finally, I just had to go cold turkey on August 1, 1988. I have not picked up a cigarette or cigar or pipe since because I know that I could easily fall back. I am happy to say that it has been almost 20 years since I have poisoned myself with smoke and the associated toxins. That is not to say that I have not been tempted on many occasions; I just have managed not to succumb.
If someone needs help with stopping smoking, I would be happy to listen. I may or may not be able to help, but I wll at least listen...

Rock on man! Congrats on every day you make it. While I can count on one hand the number of times I was sh*tfaced Robert Downy Jr. drunk, I can relate. It's been 7 years since my last drink. I remember waking up one morning and thinking, "Boy, a beer should would be good." and that's when I made the conscious decision to stop drinking. Eating out is the hardest, because man, a beer should would be good with that chicken...

Keep up the good work, and know you're not alone.

Top Bottom