What's new

My one-off custom DE razor.

Mike, what is the material cost per razor? Just curious.

With a 1kg spool costing around $30, and an estimated razor weight of 30g (PLA only), rough cost estimate would be $30/(1000g/30g) x 1.1 contingency factor = $0.99ea. Could be way off on the weight though. It depends whether a solid handle design was used or hollow. That could vary the weight, and consequently the material usage and cost, by up to 40%. Note this is sheer guesswork.

With a 1kg spool costing around $30, and an estimated razor weight of 30g (PLA only), rough cost estimate would be $30/(1000g/30g) x 1.1 contingency factor = $0.99ea. Could be way off on the weight though. It depends whether a solid handle design was used or hollow. That could vary the weight, and consequently the material usage and cost, by up to 40%. Note this is sheer guesswork.
That ain't bad at all. Interesting, thanks for your answer.

About PLA prices - it is down to $18 pr KG Amazon Prime. Now I would rather pay $28 per KG for stuff that won't jam the printer than $18 for stuff that will, but there is no reason to assume that the $18 stuff is worse vs just marked up less.

At $18 per KG, I use 24.5 cents of material for printing a handle, base, and top cap. So in theory, I can make disposables for 35 cents each with Astra blades. Though you would not even want to dispose of them as they should last many blades.

I think it shaves well, and so does my friend who has been testing them (he normally uses a straight razor). I will be interested in seeing what people say about the 20 that I am sending out tomorrow. The razor has a mild angle of 27 degrees to make it naturally easy to use, but also a significant blade exposure of 0.18mm so that will give an advanced user some degree of control and keep it from being boring.

Mind blown...
I would love to give one a try if at all possible. I understand you already have a full list of names but if anything changes or you find yourself with an extra razor...man that's really cool

Sorry to ask again, but what software (for the 3d modeling) did you use. I have been looking at the 3d open source ones and cannot find one to my liking. Was it Blender? If so, wow, you got skill.

You need a parametric modeler. I can't think of any open source one, but Fusion 360 is your best bet as they offer free for students and startups.

Package arrived today and I can't wait to take this bad boy for a test drive tomorrow! Are the top caps different in more than color, or just spares? If there is a physical difference, I wanted to have some test protocol in mind when I started.

Thanks for this - it's sooooooo COOL!! :thumbup:

Well, I'm sitting here this morning absolutely amazed and pleased! Standard 3 pass BBS, with no touch-up required. :thumbup1:

Mr. Silvers had given some advice via PM and, of course, I did something different <lol> I threw caution to the wind and used it as a complete 3D razor rather than pairing the 3D head with a brass handle, or putting the 3D handle on a brass head as suggested. I figured I would jump into this experience with both feet. Loaded it with a Platinum Lux rather than the thoughtfully supplied Astra just because the Lux is my daily blade and a known quantity, and I wanted to be better able to compare the experience with the 3D'er.

The tactile and audible feedback is outstanding, I'm sure because there is so little mass between your hand and the blade, and the size and light weight really contribute to superb maneuverability. The feel of the blade on my face was honest and intimate - so much so, and so pleasant that I just got done tracking down and ordering an Barbe Bleue X.

Will the 3D razor (it needs a name!) become my daily driver? No, but let me just call this a transformational experience!

I'd absolutely love the chance to try one of these out. That is an incredible technology. I've seen 3d printed cars, but I think the immediate future is small consumer goods like you have made. If you need any more guinea pigs please let me know. Great work!

Mine arrived in the mail today.

I am really looking forward to giving it a try. I shaved with my R41 last night, so won't be shaving again until at least tomorrow night, and maybe even Wednesday morning.

Thank you rsilvers!

So today I shaved off twelve days' worth of growth using part of this custom razor. I used the handle with the head of my Merkur 23C. What a tremendous advantage for me to have such a light handle. It allows a lot more control over pressure and angle instead of fighting the razor's weight all the time. The outcome was, to me, one of the better shaves I've had to date. I look forward to using the whole assembly after I've smoothed a couple of rough edges off it.

As a side note, I used my Merkur 23C's top cap as a tap to clean out the thread on the handle, and the Merkur's handle as a die to clean out the thread on the custom razor's top cap. Once that was accomplished, there was less catching and tightness putting the plastic pieces together.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This is a really great thread. Is there any way you can shoot me over an STL file so I can print out my own?

Top Bottom