What's new

Open comb recommendations please

It feels like the more I look for an OC razor to buy, the more questions I get. I'm hoping all of you fine gentlemen can give me a bit more info.
I'm very interested in a Gillette New, but I am seeing a lot of nicer Old types that are at better prices than the News. What is the difference and what has been your experience with each? What is the shave like with an Old type?
Also, are there any new OCs that are worth buying? I don't mind vintage, but I tend to be picky about them because I want them to be in good condition. If there is an affordable new OC model then that might be good for me.

(just an FYI, I'm not interested in any PAA products)

IME the Old Type is noticeably more aggressive than most NEWs. Definitely more aggressive than the LC and SC NEWs at least. They're not harsh, though. Just slightly more efficient and less forgiving, and that is probably why they're so underrated. I'd highly recommend an Old Type, especially a Single Ring, but ... you should also try a NEW.

IME the Old Type is noticeably more aggressive than most NEWs. Definitely more aggressive than the LC and SC NEWs at least. They're not harsh, though. Just slightly more efficient and less forgiving, and that is probably why they're so underrated. I'd highly recommend an Old Type, especially a Single Ring, but ... you should also try a NEW.

That has been my experience to a 'T'. I have an Old Type OC and a NEW LC - would love to get a NEW SC down the road. The NEW LC is a fantastic shaver, very comfortable efficient shave. The Old Type is a great shaver, but you have to be a little more careful of technique. They are on the auction sites all the time - so you can be patient and it will pay off with a good usable shaver at a good price.

I was interested in picking up a Pearl OC head (RazoRock Jaws, Matador OC - same head), or a Fatip Piccolo. However, think I will wait and get a Muhle R41 next (2013 head) and be happy for a while.

I owned a Piccolo. I liked the way it shaved but it was just too small for my liking. I preffer smaller/shorter razors like the 34c. The Piccolo is even smaller then the 34. It was just too short and skinny (the handle). I sold it for as much as i bought it and ordered a Grande instead and as an addon I picked a Pearl OC so the Grande does not feel lonly on the road. Can`t w8 for those guy to get here.
You should consider the size of the Piccolo when you decide to go for it. The Grande is not like the normal Grande modes (Muhle etc. which are really big). The Fatip Grande is a tad smaller then a EJ or a Muhler R41.

On the vintage side, go with the NEW rather than the Old Type, unless you want a significantly more aggressive experience than you're getting now. On the modern side, the Fatip is an excellent razor -- smooth and effective. Do yourself a favor, though, and get a better handle for it.

That has been my experience to a 'T'. I have an Old Type OC and a NEW LC - would love to get a NEW SC down the road. The NEW LC is a fantastic shaver, very comfortable efficient shave. The Old Type is a great shaver, but you have to be a little more careful of technique. They are on the auction sites all the time - so you can be patient and it will pay off with a good usable shaver at a good price.

I was interested in picking up a Pearl OC head (RazoRock Jaws, Matador OC - same head), or a Fatip Piccolo. However, think I will wait and get a Muhle R41 next (2013 head) and be happy for a while.

Let us know what do you think of the R41 once you get it.

It's a fine shaver and I'm sure you'll love it. I love my vintage Gillettes but to be honest none of them is in the same league. The Big Boy Deluxe is a fabulous razor, though.

......Also, are there any new OCs that are worth buying? I don't mind vintage, but I tend to be picky about them because I want them to be in good condition. If there is an affordable new OC model then that might be good for me.

I have two excellent modern day open comb razors. The best of the two, and a possible RAD killer is the Above The Tie S2. It's an open comb slant that is so smooth, comfortable, and efficient that it simply amazes me. However, it's pricey........The other modern, open comb razor that I like quite a bit is the Merkur 1904. It's very affordable, and a mild, comfortable shaving razor. The handle I didn't care for too much, so replaced it with something heavier.

And I'll have to echo the vast majority of posters that for vintage, the Gillette NEW is the one to get. I personally prefer the long comb. Now the Old Type is a completely different beast, as others have said - it sits in the shadows and collects dust for me - too harsh.

Hi Edgar,

I will report back on the R41 when I get my hands on one. I was hoping to just get the head to put it on a heavy handle I have - but do not see the head anymore for the attractive price it was. Will need to buy the complete razor.

Just shaved with a Landauer Open Comb that is a vintage razor - beautiful condition and got it for a steal. Nice shave, but will need to give it a few more shaves to be able to have a better idea how it works for me.

To the OP - there are lots of options out there to get you into OC DE razors. Get a decent one at a good price - if you find you do not like it - you likely will have no issues selling it here, or on the auction site - likely for what you paid for it. There are some differences in how they shave and there are some really informative posts on these forums that explain how to identify the different models and how some shave a bit differently than others. Mr. Razors Gillette identification web page is a good resource to identify what type of razor it is.

$20141220_Shaving_G102a.jpg

Gillette Old Type - thin top cap

$20141227_161248.jpg

Gillette NEW LC

Hi Edgar,

I will report back on the R41 when I get my hands on one. I was hoping to just get the head to put it on a heavy handle I have - but do not see the head anymore for the attractive price it was. Will need to buy the complete razor.

I believe Shaving.ie is still not working, but it's worth waiting a bit more until the site is operational again. IIRC the R41 head is less than $25 shipped to the US.

I believe Shaving.ie is still not working, but it's worth waiting a bit more until the site is operational again. IIRC the R41 head is less than $25 shipped to the US.

Hi Edgar,

Yes, that is the site that I was looking at - was going to pull the trigger and went there and did not see it anymore. Even reached out to them to ask if there was any duty or issues with shipping to the US.

Heck of a deal for the head!

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for all of the replies and information gentlemen. Based on the overwhelming amount of good things I've heard about the Gillette NEW, I decided to get one of them. I was able to find one in halfway decent condition at a local antique shop. The head has some scratches, but the handle is in real good shape and it looks definitely usable if nothing else. I'm really excited to give it a go in the morning.
$IMG_20150318_163400089_HDR.jpg$IMG_20150318_163412298_HDR (1).jpg

I've had a little trouble with the pictures, so sorry if they don't come out.

Let us know what do you think of the R41 once you get it.

It's a fine shaver and I'm sure you'll love it. I love my vintage Gillettes but to be honest none of them is in the same league. The Big Boy Deluxe is a fabulous razor, though.

Edgar,

I love the R41 - picked up the head at Shaving.ie and it is fantastic. Had my 5th shave since receiving it last Saturday. Used a Astra SP for 4 and then a Rapira Platinum Lux - even took the goatee off with it. Have not had that off in 8-9 years at least. I would like to hear your opinions with the Piccolo (have not read down thread all the way yet). I even let a Gillette Slim in very nice shape get away after throwing a min bid offer on the lot - did not feel the need after this recent pickup and the Red Tips, NEW LC, etc.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for all of the replies and information gentlemen. Based on the overwhelming amount of good things I've heard about the Gillette NEW, I decided to get one of them. I was able to find one in halfway decent condition at a local antique shop. The head has some scratches, but the handle is in real good shape and it looks definitely usable if nothing else. I'm really excited to give it a go in the morning. 've had a little trouble with the pictures, so sorry if they don't come out.

Blitzkrieg,

Nice local score on a NEW SC - interested in what you think of it! Both pictures BTW are cutoff halfway. Don't worry about what the razor looks like - it will be a good user quality razor that will provide many more years of quality shaves.

Enjoy and post another picture showing the teeth. If they are bent at all please do not try to adjust without reading information on the forums here - they are fragile and can be broken, sometimes better not to mess with them if they do not affect the shave. Just mentioning it as I cannot see all of the teeth on the head.

Pete

Edgar,

I love the R41 - picked up the head at Shaving.ie and it is fantastic. Had my 5th shave since receiving it last Saturday. Used a Astra SP for 4 and then a Rapira Platinum Lux - even took the goatee off with it. Have not had that off in 8-9 years at least. I would like to hear your opinions with the Piccolo (have not read down thread all the way yet). I even let a Gillette Slim in very nice shape get away after throwing a min bid offer on the lot - did not feel the need after this recent pickup and the Red Tips, NEW LC, etc.

Regards,

Pete

Awesome, congrats on the new razor and successful shaves! :thumbup1:

As for the Piccolo, I'll need some more time, next week I should be able to provide my opinion on that matter.

Enjoy the Beast, Pete.

I have been on a purchase sabbatical for about three months now. In about a month I should be able to make a purchase, so I have been scouting and researching in anticipation of that glorious day. I am pretty happy with my EJ DE8911, but I am very interested in trying an open comb razor.

I would love to hear what your favourite OC razor is and WHY. Don't be shy with your feelings either. If there is an OC that you absolutely hate/love, then I really want to hear about it. Just be sure to include your reasons why.

I own about a dozen razors, and my absolute favourite is the iKon open comb (w/ Cerakote) and the iKon Bulldog handle. This is my daily driver and it strikes a perfect balance between smooth and efficient. I get a super smooth BBS shave every time I've used it. I use mainly Feather or Gillette Silver Blue blades with it.

I have several open combs -

Razorock Jaws
Fatip Picollo
Muehle 41
Parker 26
Name Taker
Symnmetry

None I like better than my Gillette New/Improved Long Combs. Easy to find. And can be made to look pretty.

Gem Micromatic. It took me about three or four shaves to get the hang of it. Why is it my favorite OC? Incredible smooth and close shave, why else?

I have several open combs -

Razorock Jaws
Fatip Picollo
Muehle 41
Parker 26
Name Taker
Symnmetry

None I like better than my Gillette New/Improved Long Combs. Easy to find. And can be made to look pretty.

I have the R41 as well and love it. But I don't use it as a daily driver.

My first shave this morning with a Gillette NEW...

I've tried a handful of Gillettes in the past; red tip, blue tip, black handle SS, 40s SS, and a couple of Techs. I've always thought they were way too mild and I couldn't get as close of a shave as I like. I always just went back to my EJ DE8911, which I love. Well, this NEW short comb is a very pleasant surprise. I got a very quality shave this morning. I was pretty tentative because I've never used an OC and I didn't want to just butcher myself. A couple of times I thought I nicked myself and I was pretty sure I was going to get some irritation around my adams apple (the usual trouble spot). I can happily say, that neither of those things happened. I could definitely feel the blade much more than my EJ, but for whatever reason it was a very irritation free shave. So all in all, I like it.
Almost forgot to mention, the teeth are all perfectly aligned, none bent.

Attachments

• $IMG_20150318_163400089_HDR (1).jpg
    $IMG_20150318_163400089_HDR (1).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 27
  • $IMG_20150318_163412298_HDR.jpg
    $IMG_20150318_163412298_HDR.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom