What's new

Embarking on an 81 blade test.

I am jumping in and trying 81 different blades. While I am only trying 1 of each to start I am going to try to give each as fair of a trial as possible. If I feel the issue is more of a bad blade than a bad overall product I will purchase 2 more to try.

I am going to keep my prep as consistent as possible. I will use various Stirling soaps. Each blade will be given a minimum of 3 shaves in a 40's Gillette Superspeed unless it mauls my face. Each shave will be taken to at least DFS with 2 passes WTG and XTG if possible.

I am going to try doing 1 blade a week. Falling back on my Gillette 7 O'clock greens (Russian) in between each to give my face a break and to use my other razors so I don't get bored with the Superspeed.

I am starting today with a 7 A.M. Hi Platinum Plus. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424110644.090351.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with your testing.

Personally, I don't think that sampling one blade of each brand is a fair test. I would want to give it 2 or 3 blades in a row to form a good review.

But it sounds like your testing standards are good. Standardizing your prep and hardware is important to get accurate results.

How long do you think it will take you to get through the whole sample pack?

I know one blade each isn't truly fair and if I get a bad feeling for one and feedback from others says I should give it another go I will purchase 2 more to be fair. Some will be second use for me as I have tried about 25 different blades before. I am starting with one in interest of time since it is probably going to take a year and a half at least with one of each.

Shave #1 with the 7 am went pretty well. 2 pass DFS with one small spot of touch up. Not the smoothest and a little irritation on the jaw line but no nicks or weepers.

When I read the thread title I assumed Gillette or Wilkinson had brought out another many bladed atrocity!

Gareth

[emoji2]. Wouldn't surprise me. I get annoyed by the new gillette fusion display at the stores. Constantly spinning and whirring.

Shave 2 with the 7 AM. Two pass and managed to get dfs. More irritation on the neck due to the amount of touch up needed. Blade seemed quite a bit duller. Tomorrow should be interesting.

Shave 3 with the 7am surprised me. I think I was dehydrated during shave 2 and it adversely affected that shave. Got a good 2 pass dfs on #3 with no irritation. Gonna try a fourth with it.

4th and final shave with the 7 am. Tugged quite a bit today but still got to DFS in 2 passes. Probably could have pushed it one more but not worth the risk.

Top Bottom