What's new

Embarking on an 81 blade test.

Day 2 with the Q ball was as good as day 1. As a bonus this came in the mail today. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424914671.271111.jpg

It is a dirty bird. Quick turn around on it too. 10 days from order to in my hand. Had a nice hot lather shave with it today.

Future blades to be summarized instead of posted daily. Next up is Zorrik super stainless.

Last edited:
Zorrik super stainless. This may be the worst blade I have ever put to my face. I managed to get through a 2 pass shave with it and then extensive touch up just to reach SAS. It pulled and felt rough from the first stroke. Somehow I only got one weeper. I attempted to try a second shave with it and stopped after two strokes on my cheek. It felt worse than the first use. I grabbed my krona that was already loaded with a Shark SC and shaved with that. I don't find sharks to be very sharp but it felt glorious after the Zorrik.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Zorrik super stainless. This may be the worst blade I have ever put to my face. I managed to get through a 2 pass shave with it and then extensive touch up just to reach SAS. It pulled and felt rough from the first stroke. Somehow I only got one weeper. I attempted to try a second shave with it and stopped after two strokes on my cheek. It felt worse than the first use. I grabbed my krona that was already loaded with a Shark SC and shaved with that. I don't find sharks to be very sharp but it felt glorious after the Zorrik.

+1 on Zorrik above.

Gillette Silver Blue: I found this blade to be sharp smooth and comfortable. The first two shaves were great. The third required some touch up and the fourth it started to have a hard time completely clearing the rougher stubble on my chin. I did not like the fact that the blade was secured in the wrapper with 4 large spots of glue. It actually stuck the blade to the TTO doors of my razor and made it more difficult to open. Next up the Rapira stainless chrome.

Rapira Stainless Chrome: not the sharpest blade but I could use it if nothing else was readily available. Managed to get through 3 shaves but wouldn't want to try to push it past that. Required quite a bit of touch up at the end of the third shave and pulled a little.

Next up: Asco Red

Gillette Silver Blue: I found this blade to be sharp smooth and comfortable. The first two shaves were great. The third required some touch up and the fourth it started to have a hard time completely clearing the rougher stubble on my chin. I did not like the fact that the blade was secured in the wrapper with 4 large spots of glue. It actually stuck the blade to the TTO doors of my razor and made it more difficult to open. Next up the Rapira stainless chrome.

I believe it's wax securing the wrapper in place. I like GSB, my go to blade, but hate the blobs...

Asco red. As much as I want to like this blade because I like the orange wrapped version it just doesn't work all that well for me. I did three shaves with satisfactory results but from the first one the blade was a little uncomfortable. It feels just dull enough to be annoying. Each shave was only 2 passes to achieve DFS and only required minimal touch up. I didn't feel much difference between the first shave and the third but did not want to shave a fourth time with a blade that is working for me.

Next up: Gillette 365

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Asco red. As much as I want to like this blade because I like the orange wrapped version it just doesn't work all that well for me. I did three shaves with satisfactory results but from the first one the blade was a little uncomfortable. It feels just dull enough to be annoying. Each shave was only 2 passes to achieve DFS and only required minimal touch up. I didn't feel much difference between the first shave and the third but did not want to shave a fourth time with a blade that is working for me.

Next up: Gillette 365

+1 The orange wrapper is better.

After one year of wet shaving, I have used about 25 different blades.
In going through my samples, I tried each blade twice to give it a fair review in how it would perform. Sometimes, like with the Merkur blade the first was not a good experience but; when I used it a second time, I could see it's benefits. This is just one example, there were others.
I hope you enjoy your experience!

Gillette 365: this blade works great for my face. I could barely tell the difference between shave 1 and shave 4. I am going to take it for a 5th. The blade feels sharp and smooth. 2 pass DFS no touch up needed yet.

Shave 5 wasn't as good as I hoped but still a great blade for me. Taking a little break from the test to play with my other soaps/razor/etc. be back soon.

Top Bottom