What's new

Embarking on an 81 blade test.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hey burg, I did the same as you last year and tested many, many blades. Lots of fun. I kept the blade shave summary short, tried to use 2 different razors and a about 3 soaps for consistency, etc. The thing is I never completed the test. It seems a software update or something deleted about 3 pages of my reviews. I gave up after they disappeared.

Check it out:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/402774-Narrowing-It-Down?highlight=narrowing+it+down

Have fun...Subscribed

Last edited:
These blade tests are going to last you well into next year...so do us a favor and save your results here or on your computer. If you're like me, a few blades will stand out, but it would be great to have a log of results.

I am running a spreadsheet on my computer in addition to my posts here. Hoping I have the stamina to take this through the year and a half it is going to take to get through all these blades!! Once the spreadsheet is finished I will post that as well.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I am running a spreadsheet on my computer in addition to my posts here. Hoping I have the stamina to take this through the year and a half it is going to take to get through all these blades!! Once the spreadsheet is finished I will post that as well.

Take some B12 with a tequila chaser.

If I wasn't at work right now Aaron....... For some reason the boss won't allow it. Just looked at yours. To bad it lost some of your posts but it does give me something to look forward to with some of the blades I haven't tried yet myself. I am also looking forward to re-trying some of the blades I tried before my technique was perfected and seeing how my opinion of them has changed.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Patients. Just keep it simple and to the point. Don't be afraid to give a blade a bad grade regardless to what others think. Or, a good grade to a blade that may be not to popular among the members. I might bash you if you give my Blue Birds a bad grade though...lol.

Last edited:
Commence bashing. Not a fan of your beloved bluebirds. Have used 6 of them at various times over the last couple years and just couldn't embrace them. Got close shaves and they are sharp just don't work with my face.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Commence bashing. Not a fan of your beloved bluebirds. Have used 6 of them at various times over the last couple years and just couldn't embrace them. Got close shaves and they are sharp just don't work with my face.

Ha, ha...that's what I'm talking about.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Wow. I wish you the best on your journey. It sounds like you'll be at this for roughly 2 or 3 years. I don't think I have the discipline to objectively try such an endeavor. My hat's off to you! Have fun!

Shave number 1 with the Asco orange. Not knowing anything about this blade I was pleasantly surprised. A smooth comfortable 2 pass DFS. The blade felt sharp cutting through my stubble effortlessly.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Shave number 1 with the Asco orange. Not knowing anything about this blade I was pleasantly surprised. A smooth comfortable 2 pass DFS. The blade felt sharp cutting through my stubble effortlessly.

My results too. The red wrapper Asco is a different story....

Just curious, do your test blades include?:

Q Ball Platinum Plus
Eddison Stainless
Royal Stainless Super(not Red Royal)

They are made in Israel.

Last edited:
Shave 2 with the Asco Orange. One small weeper on my Adam's apple that I can't blame on anything but my own carelessness. The blade felt just as smooth and sharp as the first shave. Smooth 2 pass dfs

Shave 2 with the Asco Orange. One small weeper on my Adam's apple that I can't blame on anything but my own carelessness. The blade felt just as smooth and sharp as the first shave. Smooth 2 pass dfs

When I 'make a mistake' like this I tend to blame myself but in certain cases conditions cause this and it's hard to be 100% sure of cause (ie drier portion of cream, trouble spots, blade wear/flaw).

I tend to use a flawed philosophy perhaps thinking if I'm on day 3 I blame the blade regardless. However some blades I find correct for mistakes such that weepers or nicks are almost impossible to cause (up to a certain point in blade life). Perhaps this is because said blades tend towards the less efficient side and a milder razor further reduces the chance a mistake will draw blood. This is probably also why I tend to enjoy milder / middle aggression razors such as NEW LC and Aristocrat Deluxe OCs. Nicks/weepers are failures in my mind and definitely leave me somewhat dissatisfied with the shave even if minor.

I think a perfect blade compare is quite difficult since variables are beyond our control and just vary day to day. Mainly, our own technique even if driven by highly experienced muscle memory.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
When I 'make a mistake' like this I tend to blame myself but in certain cases conditions cause this and it's hard to be 100% sure of cause (ie drier portion of cream, trouble spots, blade wear/flaw).

I tend to use a flawed philosophy perhaps thinking if I'm on day 3 I blame the blade regardless. However some blades I find correct for mistakes such that weepers or nicks are almost impossible to cause (up to a certain point in blade life). Perhaps this is because said blades tend towards the less efficient side and a milder razor further reduces the chance a mistake will draw blood. This is probably also why I tend to enjoy milder / middle aggression razors such as NEW LC and Aristocrat Deluxe OCs. Nicks/weepers are failures in my mind and definitely leave me somewhat dissatisfied with the shave even if minor.

I think a perfect blade compare is quite difficult since variables are beyond our control and just vary day to day. Mainly, our own technique even if driven by highly experienced muscle memory.

Thoughts?

I have to agree with you. With day two on the 7 am test I was dehydrated and it definitely adversely affected the quality of my shave. The one today though was a moments in attention on the second pass on the bony point of my Adam's apple which I don't even normally shave over. I pull the skin to the side so I can shave over a smooth surface.

Shave 3 with the Asco Orange. It feels like the blade degraded fairly quickly. Quite a bit of tug. Overall a decent blade IMO.

My results too. The red wrapper Asco is a different story....

Just curious, do your test blades include?:

Q Ball Platinum Plus
Eddison Stainless
Royal Stainless Super(not Red Royal)

They are made in Israel.

Started the trial with the Q ball platinum plus. Found the blade to be sharp and smooth. Easy 2 pass DFS with zero irritation.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Same(Q Ball) here for this morning. Started off rocky with some tugging and not smooth.:mad3: It leveled out and then just mowed everything down until the only thing left was a baby butt smooth face. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom