What's new

How many Segal safety razor are there?

Thanks to OP for starting this thread. The Segal is vastly underrated razor. As several people have commented, they make great shavers. Modifying a blade is hard the first time, but it gets easier and easier the more you do it. Check out YouTube for directions.

On the question of whether or not plating makes a razor a different model, I think it depends. I have a G3 Slim and a G3 Aristocrat that are identical in every way other than the plating. Are they the same? Gillette didn't think so in 1961. The marketing, price, and packaging were all vastly different.

The Senator and Sheraton debate is easy: the two razors are not the same. Other than plating, there are subtle differences in design and performance.

Other than plating, there are subtle differences in design and performance.

I don't know about performance, Doc. But the later Sheraton looks exactly like the Senator, other than the plating of course.

As for price and packaging ... they did it all the time: the #88 was more expensive than the #77, the Popular #47 and #46 were more expensive than the #45, the #19 was more expensive than the #15, probably the list goes on.

In any case, I'm not trying to prove anything ... :lol: It's just my opinion. :thumbup1:

I don't know about performance, Doc. But the later Sheraton looks exactly like the Senator, other than the plating of course.

As for price and packaging ... they did it all the time: the #88 was more expensive than the #77, the Popular #47 and #46 were more expensive than the #45, the #19 was more expensive than the #15, probably the list goes on.

In any case, I'm not trying to prove anything ... :lol: It's just my opinion. :thumbup1:

Thread hijack alert!

My Senator and my Sheraton do not look alike. Here is more info for anyone who is interested.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/325804-Gillette-Senator-or-Sheraton

I did not know that the #88 was more expensive than the #77. I think my #77 has now become a #88 in my mind!:tongue_sm

Thread hijack alert!

My Senator and my Sheraton do not look alike. Here is more info for anyone who is interested.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/325804-Gillette-Senator-or-Sheraton

Ha ... I was going to link that thread. Yeah, anyway ... that only means your Sheraton is not one of the later models. :tongue_smBut, yes ... you are right, the vast majority of the Sheratons aren't identical to the Senators.

Back to the Segals, gents ...

proxy.php

Yeah I need to either replate or find a better example for the 2nd from right. I haven't yet, but will modify some blades. Despite a few flaws in my Segal collection, I'm pleased with them.

You haven't tried to shave with one yet?????? Whaaaaatttt?????
Sit down tonight and modify one. You need a vintage segal blade for a template. It makes it easier.
Put it in the one on the far left. That's my favorite of the two designs I have. Both shave great though.

Ok, Now that we are back to the Segal razors, So far that looks like all the models i have seen, is there another model out there that you know off?

Also the last razor to the right is an adjustable Segal if i am not mistaken?

The innards look different than the drawings. The key to dissasembling it is to unscrew the top part of the handle, enough for the pin(#15), to drop free, and the rest can come apart. Complicated, at least to me, unless you see it done. Drawings don't help me much.

The last razor to the right is an adjustable. I do not know of any others. If there is I'm hoping others will tell me. While reading and viewing patents it looks like they might be one or two more. I will try to upload the patents tomorrow. There was an Segal stropper but not sure if it's the Segal company.

These are my 3. The one on the far left and the center one seem to be gold in color but have different handle diameters. The center one also has a different face plate, silver in color. I'll be shaving with them soon as I have trimmed an Astra to fit it. Can't wait!
ACH=CONFIG]564600[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• $1429137539918.jpg
    $1429137539918.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 97
Ok I found a different Segal razor. That puts me 5 models with one modal having two different finishes. Here is my Lastest one. Always on the lookout for more. $uploadfromtaptalk1432688263976.jpg

You're missing out on the best aspect of these great razors. The blade mod isn't that tricky; you really should do it and fire these up. As cool as they look and fell, they shave even better.

I wholeheartedly agree. The Segal razors are very nice collector's items, but they are even better shavers.
That said, your collection is impressive. Keep going!:thumbup1:

Never seen that one. I was lucky to find several working Segal Razors. One unused, in a box. Great shaving razors.
The only downside to these are the blade modifications, and fragile cap and teeth. It's pot metal, and brittle.

This Lastest one I acquired is build different it seems. It's heavier than the others. Well built. But then again I think they all are well built.

Top Bottom