What's new

How many Segal safety razor are there?

I have 5 different Segal safety razors. I have become somewhat obsessive with these fanatic razors. I've read some patents and there may be two or three more out there. Do any of my fellow shaving enthusiasts have a Segal different from what I have pictured here? I would love to know what to be on the lookout for. My goal is to build a complete Segal collection. Yes I am odd which is why I like odd razos. I don't shave with these, I just admire and collect. Look forward to any replies with pictures. $uploadfromtaptalk1424102758849.jpg

As far as different plating what about Arstocrat vs Slim or Executive vs Standard Fatboy. To me they are different models even though the difference is plating.

It's still a Slim or a Fatboy, in my opinion.

An Old Type is different from a NEW. A NEW is different from a Toggle, and so on. You can say an Aristocrat Adjustable is a version or a sub-type, certainly not a different model. The Executive Adjustable does have a slightly different knurling though, but even so I'm not sure I'd call it a different model.

Just my opinion anyway, FWIW.

An Old Type is different from a NEW. A NEW is different from a Toggle, and so on. You can say an Aristocrat Adjustable is a version or a sub-type, certainly not a different model. The Executive Adjustable does have a slightly different knurling though, but even so I'm not sure I'd call it a different model.

I can live with that. Thank you Edgar.

I have two of them. They are great razors, although the cap is fragile when not snuggled down. They are one of my favorite shaving razors. Everyone should try one, at least once.

What about a Sheraton/Senator, different models?

Back on topic, I'm using a Segal at the moment. I really like. It is like super heavy OT.

What about a Sheraton/Senator, different models?

It's the same razor ... are they different models, not in my opinion. Different set names? Definitely. The same ad shows the Gillette Aristocrat and the Gillette Aristocrat Deluxe. The difference? More blades and an extra tube of cream in the Deluxe set.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Maybe I'm just wrong, but I consider a different model when something is significantly different, a different plating doesn't change the fact that the razor is a Slim or a one piece OC razor.

This ad for example, they describe the #15 and then about the #19 they only say ''Contents similar to above, but in pig-skin case with gold plated razor.'' Different model? Nope ... only a variant of the 1st Generation UK Aristocrat.

Last edited:
Not to split hairs my friends, but I never said different models only different Segals. There's not a lot of documentation on these and I am curious how many different ones there are.

BSAGuy it took me about 4 months to put together these together. The closed adjustable and the first gold tone were the hardest to find (so far). I suppose next I have to find different boxes and blade packaging. Some of the boxes has differences in them but the razors are the same. V

Well, I hate stir things up, but, the second from the right. The brass one? It should be gold. Segal gold plated these, at least the ones I have seen. Segal managed to do a crappier job of gold washing their razors than Gillette. Also, the heads and base plates are pot metal, very fragile, and modifying the blades is tricky. But, well worth it.
Don't get me wrong. I would put one of these razors up against almost anything out there, as far as shave quality.

Well, I hate stir things up, but, the second from the right. The brass one? It should be gold. Segal gold plated these, at least the ones I have seen. Segal managed to do a crappier job of gold washing their razors than Gillette. Also, the heads and base plates are pot metal, very fragile, and modifying the blades is tricky. But, well worth it.
Don't get me wrong. I would put one of these razors up against almost anything out there, as far as shave quality.

Yup, gold:

proxy.php

Still the "brass" one is a worthy addition because the handle is different. I want kgrinda to find more. It is a cool collection.

I have a couple of brass ones and a nickel plated one(far left). I might get one plated in Nickel one day. They are worthy of restoration. I have a broken one, that I bought, to learn the inner mechanisms, like the brass one. Very interesting design.

Yes I trim the blades , but I stink at it. I need more practice.

Yeah I need to either replate or find a better example for the 2nd from right. I haven't yet, but will modify some blades. Despite a few flaws in my Segal collection, I'm pleased with them.

Top Bottom