What's new

received my new shaving bowl from Yoresh Pottery in Israel ( Etsy) LOVE IT !

just wanted to share this ..

a few weeks ago I was looking on Etsy and came across the handmade pottery shaving bowls and scuttle mugs made by Michal in her home pottery studio in Israel

I ordered the Tall Blue Green ridged shaving bowl ($30) and received the bowl last week and I love it. The size is perfect at 6" in diameter by 2" deep and the ridges make it so easy to produce a perfect thick lather.

the seller and owner of the pottery studio is so nice, her name is Michal and she was so pleasant to deal with as she kept sending me updates on my order and included a hand written thank-you in package with my shaving bowl

If your looking for a really nice hand made shaving bowl or scuttle mug please check out her items on Etsy, just search YORESH POTTERY .. I am in no way associated with her or her products, just wanting to share with you in case you are looking for a really great bowl or scuttle

here is some pics of my new bowl, I have used it every morning since receiving it and I am really enjoying it ... my pictures don't do it justice !

$IMG_0245.jpg
$IMG_0247.jpg
$IMG_0249.jpg

Very nice bowl, I have one from Captains Choice but am looking for one a little larger. Oh well another AD.

Very nice bowl, I have one from Captains Choice but am looking for one a little larger. Oh well another AD.

this is a perfect size (IMO) and works great for me 6" diameter and about 2" deep. $40.60 including shipping from Israel to USA .. very well made and worth the price

ive also been looking at these, so thanks for the review. im undecided which way to go, the one piece scuttle from yoresh, 2 piece from somewhere else (i forget the name now but seen it on here in the SOTD thread), bowl only like yours, or a 'dottie' bowl.

ill make a decision one of these days :-D

ive also been looking at these, so thanks for the review. im undecided which way to go, the one piece scuttle from yoresh, 2 piece from somewhere else (i forget the name now but seen it on here in the SOTD thread), bowl only like yours, or a 'dottie' bowl.

ill make a decision one of these days :-D
... I always shave after my shower and while I am showering I soak this pottery bowl and my brush in hot water in the sink, it retains heat well and my lather is warm

I have never used a scuttle that you add hot water to but I am perfectly happy with this bowl, and it's well worth the $30 I paid ..it's something i'll keep and hand down one day

... I always shave after my shower and while I am showering I soak this pottery bowl and my brush in hot water in the sink, it retains heat well and my lather is warm

I have never used a scuttle that you add hot water to but I am perfectly happy with this bowl, and it's well worth the $30 I paid ..it's something i'll keep and hand down one day
that may sway me then. so.....10 minutes soaking in hot water in the sink, then remove from water and whip up the lather, and the lather will stay warm even tho the bowl is now out of the water yep? you dont keep the bowl in the water once the lathers in there?

thanks

EDIT: just been looking at them again, there seem to be 3 different coloured bowls that are wider and shallower, then one coloured bowl taller and slightly narrower (yours). i assume you considered the different shapes before ordering yours (yours is slightly more expensive). what made you plump for the taller slightly narrower dish? any reason? thanks

Last edited:
that may sway me then. so.....10 minutes soaking in hot water in the sink, then remove from water and whip up the lather, and the lather will stay warm even tho the bowl is now out of the water yep? you dont keep the bowl in the water once the lathers in there?

thanks

EDIT: just been looking at them again, there seem to be 3 different coloured bowls that are wider and shallower, then one coloured bowl taller and slightly narrower (yours). i assume you considered the different shapes before ordering yours (yours is slightly more expensive). what made you plump for the taller slightly narrower dish? any reason? thanks

YES I opted for the TALL BLUE GREEN RIDGED shaving bowl because I really liked the color and that it's taller ... I had a smooth bowl before that was shallower and it always seemed my lather wanted to come out of bowl, this one is great

I am not saying that its a hot lather and I have not used a scuttle so I can't compare but I have used this every morning for a week and I have it submersed in sink full of HOT water while I am showering ( closer to 15-minutes ) after I remove it from sink of hot water and whip up my lather it is warm

I own two of these and love them one is a little too shallow so I ordered the deeper one and boom goldilocks. I am a sucker for hand thrown pottery.

thinking of mailing her and ask if she can do one a bit smaller, 4 or 5" maybe? just measured up 6" and wondering if it may be a little on the large side. whats your opinion on that, could it do with being a bit smaller to hold in one hand and mix up the lather in the other? or would you say its perfect size?

Altough I'm mostly a face latherer I like this pottery so much!

I am a face latherer as well, but I like to keep a bowl of hot water on the countertop; I use it to soak my brush while I shower. And while I'm shaving, I fill the sink basin with water and use that to rinse out my razor, so if I need some clean water (like to wet my brush or rinse my fingers without getting those little bits of whiskers everywhere) I'll use that.

Lately I've just been using a cereal bowl, but I'm tempted to snag myself one of these or something like it.

Thats really lovely, looks really nice. Enjoy! I may have to have a scour around on Etsy to see if i can find her and more of her products perhaps :)

great bowl! I have one of her/his 2 pc scuttles and enjoy it often!
i just looked at that, its described as one-piece. wonder if shes changed the design then. still 6" diameter, would you say it could do with being a bit smaller ideally? or do you not hold the top bowl in your hand whilst lathering?
ive been in touch with her about making a smaller one, which she can do, i just need to work out the ideal size for me. looking at other bowls for sale everywhere else, most seem to be around 4 to 4 and a half inch diameters.......

thanks

Top Bottom