What's new

Son's first shave!

Summary
My 14-year-old son survived his first shave with no cuts or weepers - he was so pleased afterward that he had to go show his mother and sister!

It was a great experience, and one I am glad to share with my son. I am hopeful all of you can experience something like this with a son, son-in-law, grandson, etc. because it was a neat rite of passage moment. I never had this with my own father, but I hope it will be something my son remembers sharing with me some day.

Details
I dug out all my shave gear this afternoon, and we talked about the various razors, brushes, soaps, and aftershaves. He picked up all the hardware items, and he sniffed all the software products, after which he commented most of them smelled "planty". I guess I do have several fougere, sandalwood, spice, and bay rum scents.

We both grabbed a brush, soap, and bowl and whipped up a lather. I showed him how to apply it, and then I used a Super Speed with no blade in it to give him a general idea of what to do. My son chose his Grandad's 1966 Gillette Slim because he liked the adjustable aspect. He started on a '1', but he didn't think that was getting the job done, so he bumped up to a '2'.

He was pretty tentative at first, and we ended up doing a WTG and two XTG passes since he missed quite a few spots. He was attempting to shave over spots where he already removed the lather, so we just did a third pass instead.

He opted for the following:

Razor: 1966 Gillette Slim - this was one of my father's razor, and it was neat my son chose a family heirloom
Blade: Astra SP - I wasn't sure where to start with him, but this seemed like a safe choice
Brush: Muhle 33K256 - he liked the super soft tips
Soap: Caties Bubles La Terre Verte - he thought this smelled the best
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Musk - he liked this one the best because it smelled different than all the others that are more essential oil based

$sotd_20150215_oliver1.jpg

That's awesome! My dad never showed me how to shave. All he used was cheap disposable razors and canned goop. I can't wait to teach my son how to shave with a DE and maybe a straight. He's only 4 now so we got some time. He has a toy shaving kit he likes to use when I shave. Makes me proud.

Nice! I like the selection of the Slim at a pretty mild setting. I started my son with a 1904 from Merkur. Maybe that was too aggressive.

I know he's hooked now. He's 19 and he texted me a request for a stick of La Toja to try.

Enjoy the bonding!

That is awesome! I unfortunately didn't get this opportunity when I was a kid and I don't have a son. I told my daughter that I am looking forward to grandsons so I can pass down some of my favorite things. Those boys are going to be hooked up. :thumbup1:

Very nice! My son, age 9, watches me now thinking about letting him "shave"one night. My dad taught me years ago, with a disposable and Williams soap and a brush (I still have the Old Spice mug), then he taught me about straights. Needless to say I gave up on the straights as a young man, now I'm here wanting to try them again.

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing this.

I think the lad shows good taste in his choice of razor and brush. Those are my daily drivers. Enjoy!

VERY COOL to say the least, my dad never took the time to show me how to shave .. I grew up as a teenager using an electric razor and cartridge razor with canned shaving cream. Your son will never forget the day you taught him to shave .. Thanks for sharing

btw, great product choices for his first shave .. especially his grandfathers razor !!

This is awesome. I was close with my dad but he was a lifer in the Navy and I think he was deployed when I put a cart to my face for the first time. My neighbor got me a Trak 2 razor with a woman's body shaped handle, I thought that was cool.

Top Bottom