What's new

Hair Tonics

I've tried:
Jeris w/o oil
Pinaud Eau de Quinine and Pinaud Eau de Portugal
Lucky Tiger Surlay and Three Roses
I just haven't been impressed with them. They seem to dry my hair and scalp and smell bad.
How much is the right amount to use? I tried a much smaller amount of 3 Roses today (about a 1/2 teaspoon) and it seemed to work better and smell better.
Also, can I expect better smell and less drying from Pashana? I'm scared to try it since I haven't really cared for the others.
I've thought about trying the with oil versions but I used too mush Vitalis as a kid and it turned me off.
I like the idea and feel of a hair tonic but I haven't found one I like.

I finally found the one I liked it takes care of my puffy hair after the shower, but doesn't make hair any greasy. I looks just like regular hair afterwards. It's moisturazing hair tonic called HairEver 2, I bought it at local organic store. It supose to be unscented but it does have a slightl smell of wet rotten apples (I remembeer this smell from a country side in my childhood), some might think it smells like beer. I still gonna use it because it works great, unlike any other hair products I've ever used.

If you want a tonic i am familiar with 3 forms:

Alcohol/glycerin - Like Trumper's San Remo and oil-free types;

Mineral oil based - The mineral oil floats on top and you have to shake it to saturate, like Trumper's Eucris hairdressing;

Castor oil based - The castor oil looks perfectly saturated with the alcohol, no floating on top, like Trumper's Amber Floreka;

Given that castor oil penetrates the skin exceptionally better than mineral oil, this option is my favourite. I find it the most natural-looking, healthy sheen. It doesn't get too greasy, nor is it too dry and it imparts, for me, a better hold than mineral oil based hairdressings.

I can apply the castor oil types on wet or dry hair, but find the mineral oil a bit greasy and unevenly distributed on wet hair, so only use it dry. Each to his own and everything, but if you have tried the other types and they didn't deliver, i'd recommend the castor oil types.

Of these i can list: Trumper's Amber Floreka - great smell, good hold for a dressing; Trumper's Green Floreka - can't attest to hold but smelt it in shop and didn't like it... strangely it seems to be the same stuff (Creighton's must supply the three T's) as Truefitt and Hill C.A.R. Lotion - the green stuff which performs well, but i prefer their excellent and very different (in performance and smell) C.A.R. hair cream.

If you want to buy a mineral oil based hairdressing, i have one for sale here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58318

I've tried:
Jeris w/o oil
Pinaud Eau de Quinine and Pinaud Eau de Portugal
Lucky Tiger Surlay and Three Roses
I just haven't been impressed with them. They seem to dry my hair and scalp and smell bad.
How much is the right amount to use? I tried a much smaller amount of 3 Roses today (about a 1/2 teaspoon) and it seemed to work better and smell better.
Also, can I expect better smell and less drying from Pashana? I'm scared to try it since I haven't really cared for the others.
I've thought about trying the with oil versions but I used too mush Vitalis as a kid and it turned me off.
I like the idea and feel of a hair tonic but I haven't found one I like.

Jimbo I had the same experience as a kid with Vitalis, my dad used to douse my hair with it off and on in my early grade school years and got tired of the smell. I have used the Jeris with oil and liked it, it all depends on how much you use, about a half a teaspoon will give your hair a light shine and it will feel conditioned. If you use more you will have a light wet look. The two old school ones I like are Jeris with oil and the Lucky Tiger 3 Purpose (I think that's what it's called, not in front of the bottle at the moment), these both have oil. The Jeris has a barber shop smell-not too strong, the Lucky Tiger smells a bit like Vitalis, but not as strong of smell- hope that helps!

After reading the hair tonic poll I went in search just for fun. Ended up buying Tres Flores at a drugstore as it was the only stuff I could really find besides Vitales (which gagged me). TF is mineral oil based; kind of thick. Leaves the hair greasy and oily. Running my fingers through my hair 10 hrs. later they came out oily. Plus it made me itch. Glad I only paid 4 bucks. Don't think I'll use it much.

I also bought some Fructis Shine & Sheen (?--can't remember the exact name). It's not exactly gel but kind of performs like one. Comes out as a cream that you spread through your wet hair and then comb or brush. Provides just a touch of hold and keeps the hair w/ that wet look all day. No itch. I like it, but don't think it could be considered a tonic.

Shaving Essentials will send out two samples of Booster hair tonics; Sage and Russian Bear Oil (mineral oil based) to the first 20 people who email a request to us at [email protected]

Must have the subject line: "Hair Tonic Samples"

Shaving Essentials will send out two samples of Booster hair tonics; Sage and Russian Bear Oil (mineral oil based) to the first 20 people who email a request to us at [email protected]

Must have the subject line: "Hair Tonic Samples"

Hi guys, believe it or not, we are still not at the 20 mark for FREE SAMPLES. I hate to twist arms to give stuff away so come on and send me your addy. You have nothing to lose! :w00t:

After reading the hair tonic poll I went in search just for fun. Ended up buying Tres Flores at a drugstore as it was the only stuff I could really find besides Vitales (which gagged me). TF is mineral oil based; kind of thick. Leaves the hair greasy and oily. Running my fingers through my hair 10 hrs. later they came out oily. Plus it made me itch. Glad I only paid 4 bucks. Don't think I'll use it much.

Eagle, I used that stuff last year when I dressed up as a gangster for Halloween. I thought it would be like most tonics and wash out easily, and I applied it liberally to get that well slicked down gangster look... my hair was so greasy and oily, it took me 2-3 days of shampooing to get it out... that's probably why you were itching.. it probably clogs the pores LOL!!!:lol:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The best I've tried is Pashana IMHO.

Yes, Pashana and Jeris. I stay away from the oiled ones; the sans-huile have glycerine which works nicely.

The scent of the Pashana is ... um ... an acquired taste. I have acquired it, and how.

Top Bottom