What's new

The Badger & Blade Manover

Great read! Like a new man.
Thank you! It's definitely a big improvement.
- I was dragged through ten hours of torturous mall shopping.

- I was also heckled dozens of times for getting a “makeover” despite promises to the contrary.

Sounds like you we went shopping with Joel, didn't you? :wink: :biggrin:
The one name I didn't drop, but I knew someone would pick up on that pretty quick. :lol:
That's a good article. Thanks for posting.
Gladly, thanks for the kind words!
You didn\'t include a hat in your transformation, but the tricks of going from a baseball cap to a real hat ... and finding the right one for your noggin shape ... could make for an excellent second installment.
Great point on a hat. I've never been a fan of hats, I feel my head is long enough as it is, but it's definitely a big accent piece that can make or break a look.
I like the before picture better. But that\'s me, J. Pierpont I'm Here to Drain the Septic Tank Ouch.
Funny story that I'll cut to the punchline ... So there I am, answering the call from my Project Manager at 6:30PM on a Friday when I should be two beers deep, the only Friday in California that has seen torrential rain in the past decade... On top of the flat membrane roof, that's flooding, using a piece of threaded rod I snagged from inventory as a makeshift roto-rooter to clear out multiple plugged downspouts, thinking "I'm going to catch so much grief if Joel finds out I'm ruining a pair of pricey hand-me-down Lucky's jeans, kneeling in this fetid soup..."
Your shades cost more than your watch? Excellent choice. A friend sold me 2 pairs of Wayfarers for $50, glad I didn't have to buy them new
The Wayfarers are great, but they certainly aren't a deal. That Orient was a DEAL. The coupon code that was available at the time even came with a FREE second watch, which is also, a nice looking watch.
Your marketing prof would be proud of you, some real nice \'name dropping\' in the article.
This may come as a surprise, but the references to Bon Jovi aren't completely truthful. The picture of him and I rocking out in a Camaro is really just a hastily Photoshopped sham. :tongue_sm
Don't lie, you're still wearing that "Like a boss" shirt under all that aren't ya? :)
While relegated to lounge wear, I'm actually lounging in it right now!
interesting article - Mid-entry level??? don\'t think $300 shoes and $500 briefcase qualify...
I think part of it is taken into context. I have a pair of $400 Mephisto Abels that have lasted me... Perhaps a decade now? If these Allen Edmonds hold up half as well, they've proven their ROI compared to a cheaper shoe with a shorter lifespan. Though, it's definitely an investment. Also, with regards to the briefcase, it's NOT something I purchased, I borrowed it from my fashion sherpa for the article, as it's a great accent piece (if you're so inclined).
My alterations to the recommendations:

Watch: Bulova Marine Star
Pants: Levis 541 or 517s appropriately fit.
No jacket: Florida means a good flannel shirt at most in winter.
Add: Hat chosen to match the face and build. No Fedoras for those under 40.
Thanks for the suggestions Kent! I'm a fan of Bulova, I've bought my wife several watches, as they have great style at a great price. Second vote for a hat duly noted!
Nicely done. The only thing that might be missing would be a \"priority\" list for where to start for budget reasons. Also, for the higher priced options, it\'d be interesting to know how long the item holds up compared to the less expensive items. But that would be a longer period thing. :)
Great point on priority list given the combined outlay is somewhat substantial. I think part of the answer depends on a personal assessment of what pieces you own that already work. I already had nice watches, and some decent shoes that could work if need be.

Also, with regards to how the items last, I'm using every item referenced (except the briefcase and the man-bracelet) routinely, so I'll keep it in mind as they start to wear and age. :thumbup1:
Night and day difference ! Kudo's to your new makeover. I think I would have went with a boot over the shoes but that is just personal preference. Really have been interested in Lucky jeans just don't like todays trend of skinny style fits. Their Classic fit doesn't seem to follow that trend though, good to know. Just a suggestion but maybe add a scarf ? I wear one of these in the winter/fall months. http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/Mean-T-Skull-Shemagh

Very cool though, and hopefully keep up with the stylish dress. Now unlike yourself , I'm still overweight. I'm always moving forward to losing it but currently still carry 50lbs more than I should. So it is very tough to be stylish. I wear a 3xl shirt and have a 38/40 waist and a 30 inseam. So also quite a bit misshapen. I try though. This morning on my way into thru the office I happened to walk by a female coworker as she was conversing with someone (male) and she said I always make her feel underdressed with the way I dress. Then the male, whom I don't even know made a comment about how nice I looked...thought that was a bit odd but I'll take it. Now that being said, I'm in an engineering office that has a very lax business casual dress code, in Michigan. Drop me in a trendy town and office and i'm sure I'd laughed out of the building.
Thanks much! My 'manover expert' is a big fan of boots, but as we explored several shoe stores, it was really a question of what *I* was looking for. We did look at a few boots.

I'm with Ian with regards to your second point. Fashion is about looking sharp, and putting thought behind your dress. I'm sure what you've been doing, is something I only started doing recently; planning your attire for the next day, and putting thought into what pairs with what. When I was big (4 X's), I tried my best to avoid attention to my physical features, what little good that did. If you're owning your image, and others recognize your attention to detail, right on! :thumbup:
Looking good! :thumbup1:
Thanks Jim!
You look marvelous.
Now you're just funnin' me. :tongue_sm
Definitely better.

One thing I've learned the last few months is just how big of an improvement a nice pair of brown shoes make. The contrast between the brown and the dark blue denim is really nice.
You know, I've noticed it on coworkers, and vendors that visit, but never put much thought behind what a difference it makes.
well are you not just the belle of the ball. great work and a nice manover

Article #2 in this series will be me trying on ballroom gowns. :ohmy:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Funny story that I'll cut to the punchline ... So there I am, answering the call from my Project Manager at 6:30PM on a Friday when I should be two beers deep, the only Friday in California that has seen torrential rain in the past decade... On top of the flat membrane roof, that's flooding, using a piece of threaded rod I snagged from inventory as a makeshift roto-rooter to clear out multiple plugged downspouts, thinking "I'm going to catch so much grief if Joel finds out I'm ruining a pair of pricey hand-me-down Lucky's jeans, kneeling in this fetid soup..."

I hate when that happens.

I was following along and admiring, then came the bag.
Just strikes me as trying toooo hard to be smart but casual.

Nice job overall. Next step, a blazer?

Is the IROC and Bon Jovi still on? Or did you have to trade that in on Camry and some Kenny G, or some such atrocity?

Is the IROC and Bon Jovi still on? Or did you have to trade that in on Camry and some Kenny G, or some such atrocity?

Looking good, Nick. \"Wayfarers on, baby . . .\" Jeans look like they could be finished a little higher for a more tailored and also more up to date look. The better fitting jeans and the lines of the jacket really help. The belt, too, methinks, which is thought provoking. The Saddleback case seems heavy to me. I am just not the fan of the look as much as many on this board are, and I am a lawyer and have been carry a brief case like bag or a litigation bag my entire career. But very impressive makeover.

It\'s all about taking a good look at yourself and seeing what works for you and what doesn\'t. Sometimes it is just subtle changes that need to be made and sometimes it\'s a major overhaul! How you present yourself is how you are perceived. I have found that carefully selecting new purchases, keeping to a limited and somewhat neutral color pallet and not overbuying new additions to my wardrobe is what works best! Knowing your own body type and finding companies that offer different fits in clothing from \"Skinny\", \"Slim\" to \"Traditional\" and \"Classic\" will help you to make the right statement about yourself. Gone are the days of building a wardrobe. The market is such that constant change is what is \"in style\" at any given moment. This makes it more difficult to dress oneself appropriately but not impossible! The things that you need to keep in mind when you\'re out shopping is that you need to keep it simple, know your build and what looks good on it, spending a little extra on a few choice items and keeping things neutral will help you go a long way in showing yourself at your best! By the way, among my credentials is a degree in \"Menswear Design and Marketing\" from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City!

It\'s all about taking a good look at yourself and seeing what works for you and what doesn\'t. Sometimes it is just subtle changes that need to be made and sometimes it\'s a major overhaul! How you present yourself is how you are perceived. I have found that carefully selecting new purchases, keeping to a limited and somewhat neutral color pallet and not overbuying new additions to my wardrobe is what works best! Knowing your own body type and finding companies that offer different fits in clothing from \"Skinny\", \"Slim\" to \"Traditional\" and \"Classic\" will help you to make the right statement about yourself. Gone are the days of building a wardrobe. The market is such that constant change is what is \"in style\" at any given moment. This makes it more difficult to dress oneself appropriately but not impossible! The things that you need to keep in mind when you\'re out shopping is that you need to keep it simple, know your build and what looks good on it, spending a little extra on a few choice items and keeping things neutral will help you go a long way in showing yourself at your best! By the way, among my credentials is a degree in \"Menswear Design and Marketing\" from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City!

Great post....but I think entry level may not be great term to describe this outfit. Maybe if you are making 6 figures. I'd be interested to see a similar article with less expensive options.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Great article. Still waiting for those "after" pictures, though.

Top Bottom