What's new

Pistol accessories. Semiautomatic

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I purchased my first semiautomatic pistol today, a S&W SD9VE.

I'm already thinking about adding either a red dot sight or a flashlight - or both.

I didn't buy it with intentions of home defense. It is more for casual target shooting and perhaps one day to carry.

With that in mind I think I'll get the most use out of a red dot sight.

I'm curious what others think of adding accessories to semiauto pistols? Do you select the accessory to best fit your needs (makes most sense) or do you prefer to leave them as is?
perhaps the best part of ownership is to "trick it out". So what say you?

Last edited by a moderator:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've never had a handgun with a rail, or one with a scope. Although I did have a friend that had a 6" Python with a low power scope on it. I wish I could have bought that thing back then.

Funny that you should ask about this...I was just thinking the other day, after seeing all the tricked out guns, that I need to get a one-and-a-half pound handgun with a rail and add about 15 pounds of accessories to it.

Not. That's just me though; it could be fun to play with. I'd go with a red dot or a laser. You can always take stuff off. But I'm more of a less is more in that category.

Saw your post in the 9mm section after i posted in your .22 thread...Nice looking score!

Now we need range time pictures. :thumbup:

Last edited:
If this is your first pistol, I would suggest against a red dot. Learn to use the iron sights. I am making the assumption that you are a new shooter (apologies if you are not) - my experience is additional toys serve as nothing but a distraction.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm new to the semi autos. I have a single action Ruger Blackhawk .45 colt.
I've fired a few semi autos but never owned one.

Good advice though, I should become familiar with the gun as is before adding anything I agree.

For the range, get a decent pistol rug to protect it while going to and from the range, and can be laid flat on the bench as further protection.
A tool box from Harbor Freight or Lowes is handy for packing your ammo, ear muffs, etc.

I'd wait on the sights until you shoot the pistol a few times and find out if the sights are adequate.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm not considering immediate accessorizing. My carry class is in 3 weeks. I'm going to make it through that and experience the gun as is for a while.
But future use who knows. I have the option to add something, and I kind of would like to.

I'm mainly curious what everyone else has and suggests.

You might consider adding grip tape. Some use skateboard tape and there's a company or two that makes gun tape in rolls as well as fit for certain gun models (I don't remember what they're called). That particular gun can get slippery.

If this is your first pistol, I would suggest against a red dot. Learn to use the iron sights. I am making the assumption that you are a new shooter (apologies if you are not) - my experience is additional toys serve as nothing but a distraction.
^^This.^^

Get a good set of night sights (assuming it didn't come with them) if you add anything.

Lasers generally don't improve your accuracy, and I have seen many cases where it made accuracy worse -- the shooter would forget shooting fundamentals. I have a couple lasers, but only on my back up guns. If I have to use a BUG I'll probably be in a real awkward position and literally need to shoot from the hip.

Lights are okay, but remember that they can reduce your tactical advantage in a defensive situation. They can ruin your night vision, and give away your position .

I've never found lasers to be a distraction from my iron sights, because when I can see one, I generally can't see the other.

Night sights are great for youngsters who still have a good depth of field. When us old farts try to use night sights in the dark, all we see that close to our face are large blobs unless we happen to have the right pane of the trifocals lined up with the sights. However, we can certainly see that bright laser dot clearly.

I hang a light on my (home defense) pistol when I turn in. Easy-peasy. Seems to me you need to see your target.

While I have a red dot on my rifle, and love it (near-instant target aquisition) I figure that if I actually need to use the pistol I'm probably going to be point-shooting it anyway.

Whatever you buy it needs to be durable. Crimson trace, Surefire, etc. the stream light TLR-2 is a light laser combo that incorporates a moderate power light with a nice laser in a very durable package.

Tritium pistol sights really don't work that well. Only the sight glows so your looking at a dark silhouette that you can't identify and your sights are glaringly bright. Turn on a light to ID the potential target and the sights don't glow. Black sights work just as well in this circumstance.

With training the laser can be an awesome tool. Most people don't get much real training and that is where you should be spending the bulk of your money.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I definitely want a range bag. I have a few on my radar.

When you say "night sights" you mean sights that glow in the dark?

I don't have intentions of making this a home defense weapon. Just a fun range gun.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Bought one of these on a whim. Probably the best firearm related purchase I've made. It makes range time WAAAY easier.

That's what I hear. something like 5000 reviews on amazon and it's got 5 stars.
I got about 10 rounds loading and was thinking "what a PITA this is to load!"
Def. getting one.

You won't regret it. Unless you think you'd regret never knowing the pain and frustration of loading semi-auto mags over and over (perhaps I exaggerate). When I went to the range in the academy, I was the only person that had one (and we're talking about 1000s or rounds). Had a lot of offers to buy it. Definitely saved my fingers (and my time).

Top Bottom