What's new

whats the attraction of a big brush?

when i statred looking for brushes, i knew nothing about sizing, so guessed that this one would be ok for me http://www.bluebeards-revenge.co.uk...guard-Synthetic-Shaving-Brush-Gift-Boxed.html

i didnt like the idea of a badger being harmed just cos i wanted to experiment with a brush, so went synthetic. it does the job, i have nothing to compare it to, but reading all the info on different sizes makes me wonder.....
why would someone choose a larger diameter brush over a smaller one? the one i have says the bristle diameter is 45mm. when i lather my face and swirl it around, i find i cant really move it too much or its in my eyes or ears :)

surely the smallest size will allow you to manipulate the lather a bit more, and be a bit more accurate on your face?

next question is, all the different grades of badger and boar brushes seem to allude to the softer the brush, the more expensive, or better. yet isnt the idea of the brush to 'lift' the whiskers? if so id have thought a compromise between softness yet still a degree of stiffness would be better, otherwise the brush will just be gently stroking the face rather than actually 'agitating' the face?

might be talking rubbish, but id be interested in your thoughts on this please :)

thanks

For some, size matters. Some guys just like the feel of a large brush that splays out a lot. DE shaving is so much fun because a shaver can find whatever combination of razor,blade, soap, cream, brush, aftershave, etc. that suits him best and run with it.

I don't think accuracy is an issue. It's personal taste. I have used very large brushes, and to me they are a novelty, and not really practical. You will get a different answer from almost everyone. Read the extensive posts on this site; they will help guide you.

No attraction here. I like a smaller brush, maybe in the 18 - 20mm range, and a shorter loft. I guess it's better for control, and a hell of a lot less messy when face lathering. Also, not so wasteful of creams and soaps.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't normally face lather, so I don't normally use a small brush. I shave every day and the idea that those exceedingly short hairs need to be lifted before shaving is a scientific fact I have yet to accept - but I'm willing to listen to any proof.

I often use the B&B Essential boar to face lather, and the SOC boar to bowl lather. The B&B takes nearly twice as long in the bowl to create lather - something my tennis elbow does not appreciate even a little. Then it carries less lather to the face, often needing two or three trips back to the bowl for a re-load. And, of course, it lacks the luxury of the big, soft brush feel on the face.

Is any of that life altering? No, I can make it work. It just doesn't make me as happy. Here in the Autumn of my life I find that using a brush that doesn't make me happy is both unnecessary and a little silly.

I hope that's the same reason you select the small brush.

Simple. Size matters.

OK, to be more precise: there is nothing quite like the feel of a large brush effortlessly spreading hot lather on your face. Small brushes make you work to spread the lather evenly, and don't retain as much heat.

That said, there are drawbacks to big brushes - they get lather in your ears, they use up more product, they're harder to rinse. My personal sweet spot is about 22mm knot size, high loft, fan spread. But on Sundays, that big Rooney makes the week worthwhile.

I like getting soap in my eyes and in my ears on the same swipe of the brush.

Hard to do with a Wee Scot unless you are zippy the pin head.

No attraction here. I like a smaller brush, maybe in the 18 - 20mm range, and a shorter loft. I guess it's better for control, and a hell of a lot less messy when face lathering. Also, not so wasteful of creams and soaps.
+1 ... I don't like it when I get lather in my ears and it spills down inside my t-shirt. The issue of wasting creams is a moot point as far as I'm concerned.

I can see where a large brush would be useful for head-shavers and barbers. It allows them to build lather and cover a large area quickly.

The OP has a 45mm knot? I find that hard to picture. My largest brushes are 2 SOCs, at 24mm, and they are wonderful performers, but they get used only once a year or so simply because they are too large.

For badger brushes, 18~19mm is the right size for me. For boar knots, which tend to run a little bigger, 21mm will do. Even the Wee Scot, at 14mm, isn't too small to be a regular part of my rotation, and I don't think of it as being "just a travel brush."

Last edited:
I have practical and personal reasons for preferring large brushes. I am a big guy with big hands and a larger handle feels more comfortable to grip. I also enjoy the feeling of applying lather with a big knot. Regardless of whether it's a super soft Silvertip or a stiffer 2 band or finest, I feel like I am spoiling myself with the luxurious sensation I get only from a big knot.

I am a head shaver so the bigger brushes like the Omega 48 and 49 are excellent brushes for head lathering. I won't use them on my face however because they are too large. I go for a smaller knot around 22 or 24mm. If your a head latherer, I recommend the big knots. Its very nice.

Hmmm...my EJ Best was categorized as "large" and it has a 23mm knot and 54mm loft. I'm not sure how that fits in the small -> large spectrum.

It's my only brush at the moment, and I'm looking at getting a slightly smaller one (Simpson Colonel X2L, with 22mm knot and 46mm loft) because...well, because I want another brush, and I thought that the selected one would work a little better with harder soaps -- and be a tad "scritchier" (which, as a face latherer, I like).

Last edited:
thanks for the input chaps, interesting to hear your views.

The OP has a 45mm knot? I find that hard to picture.
dont think its the knot, more the bristle diameter. the link doesnt give a knot size.

yeah, i spose we all like different things, im still working out my ideal set up, and a smaller brush is something ill look out for. are brushes sold by knot size then or bristle diameter? any idea what the knot size of my brush actually is so i can compare?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
thanks for the input chaps, interesting to hear your views.

dont think its the knot, more the bristle diameter. the link doesnt give a knot size.

yeah, i spose we all like different things, im still working out my ideal set up, and a smaller brush is something ill look out for. are brushes sold by knot size then or bristle diameter? any idea what the knot size of my brush actually is so i can compare?
Knots are usually listed by diameter at the base and then by loft. I'm guessing the size you listed is either loft or diameter of the knot at its widest ( not a spec that's normally given) Post a photo if you can with something that some of us may be able to compare it to.

Like everything else in the shaving world...personal preference. To me, an M&F 3XL and Simpson Chubby 3 is where it's at!

proxy.php

theres the pic, and this is the description......

The Bluebeards Revenge "Vanguard" Synthetic Shaving Brush

£19.99 including VAT 20%

Quantity 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
SKUBBRVAN

Add to cartAdd to wish listAsk a question about this product

Product description

The latest addition to the Bluebeards Revenge range, the Vanguard is a brush with synthetic 'bristles' designed to mimic the properties of Badger hair with regards to softness and water retention properties. Beautifully packed in a presentation box.Dimensions
Bristle Diameter: 45mm
Bristle Length: 50 mm
Overall Length: 100 mm

Handle Diameter: 38mm

would that description set it as a large, medium or small do you think?

. . . I'm looking at getting a slightly smaller one (Simpson Colonel X2L, with 22mm knot and 46mm loft) . . .

You'd be extremely lucky to find one with a loft that short. Those are old Simpsons specs; current Colonels hug 49-50mm, but there's an occasional 48 that sneaks through. Hope you find what you're after.

proxy.php

theres the pic, and this is the description......

would that description set it as a large, medium or small do you think?

That is clearly a mistake. I would estimate the diameter of that knot at maybe 22mm which would make the brush "medium-sized". Worth checking with the seller to get the facts.

Top Bottom