What's new

NOS or MINT vintage razor maiden voyages.

For those of you lucky enough to find a NOS or absolutely perfect vintage razor, how hard was it for you to take it on its maiden voyage? I'm the proud owner of a NOS 1955 (date code A1) Gillette ball end Tech as of today. Taking it out of the box tonight and giving it a good cleaning preparing it for its first shave in the morning hurt me a little. I mean, I'm not a collector but there's something about a perfect, unused 60 year old razor that makes me hesitant to use. I'm not 100% convinced I'll be able to reach for it in the morning come shave time.

Anyone else felt this way?

Last edited:
I have a couple of mint never used but not NOS birth year razors, a 1948 Boxed SS with original blade dispenser, a 1948 cased Aristocrat never used, also with the original sealed blade dispenser. I have not been able to break down and use them however, I have backups of the same that I do use. I also have an cased English Thin Handle Flat Bottom Tech that the both the handle and the head are still sealed in the original cellophane. I don't have the heart to use that one as well.

I have a couple of mint never used but not NOS birth year razors, a 1948 Boxed SS with original blade dispenser, a 1948 cased Aristocrat never used, also with the original sealed blade dispenser. I have not been able to break down and use them however, I have backups of the same that I do use. I also have an cased English Thin Handle Flat Bottom Tech that the both the handle and the head are still sealed in the original cellophane. I don't have the heart to use that one as well.

I have a 1949/1950 SS with the box that looks like the day it did new that I was able to use a few times. Now, it's in early retirement in my gun safe. :) I have an English Tech that I love dearly and don't mind reaching for at all. I honestly thought it would be easy to use these and not think twice. I'm a little surprised about the heart tug.

It's a Tech there were literally hundreds of millions of them made. Use that Tech and feel no pain. It's not all that valuable even sealed and in pefect condition packaging. $40-50 tops. And there are ten just like it if not better on ebay everyday.
I say it's worth more when used than just sitting on a shelf to be looked at.

For those of you lucky enough to find a NOS or absolutely perfect vintage razor, how hard was it for you to take it on its maiden voyage? I'm the proud owner of a NOS 1955 (date code A1) Gillette ball end Tech as of today. Taking it out of the box tonight and giving it a good cleaning preparing it for its first shave in the morning hurt me a little. I mean, I'm not a collector but there's something about a perfect, unused 60 year old razor that makes me hesitant to use. I'm not 100% convinced I'll be able to reach for it in the morning come shave time.

Anyone else felt this way?
I hear ya'. Still haven't broken the seal on this yet:

attachment.php

I've had both a NOS Executive and a Toggle. Couldn't bring myself to use either, so I sold both and bought a user grade Toggle instead. Both razors were bought by gentleman that have razor displays.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423832313.799558.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423832342.049352.jpg

I wouldn't use a truly NOS razor. To my mind, though, that's a vastly overused term. Regardless of condition, only a razor with impeccable provenance can be considered NOS, otherwise one just can't be sure.

Yours, however, has been handled and cleaned (at least), so it's not NOS. Shave and enjoy!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Because of the price of NOS Gillette Techs I would not hesitate to use it; It's a wonderful razor. More costly NOS razors are a tougher call.

Last year, I bought myself a '56 Red Tip in that was NOS. I held on to it for a few months before I used it
I'm glad I did as I really like it, the Red Tip shaves great!
I way over paid for it, which made it hard at first to use it.

Enjoy it! I have an immaculate A-1 '55 Super Speed and it's my #2. I really enjoy this little piece of yesteryear.

I agree. If a razor has survived for 50-60 years or more and is truly "NOS" with papers and accessories, I could not bring myself to use it. On the other hand, if it is extremely nice, but use is apparent in the past, I would not hesitate to tee it up.

Because of the price of NOS Gillette Techs I would not hesitate to use it; It's a wonderful razor. More costly NOS razors are a tougher call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom